default avatar camera angle

EasyAnnie Swallowtail

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My default avatar camera angle (where it goes when I press ESC) has changed from looking over my shoulder from behind me to looking straight down on me from about 20 feet in the air. I have been given lots of advice on how to change the position but nothing works.  Anyone have their ideas? BTW, resetting the  camera offset default doesn't fix the problem.  Help!

9 answers to this question

The camera is controled by selections in the View Controls. You can access the control via several paths. In the top menu select: Me -> Camera Controls. In the little panel that opens select the Eye like icon and select a view.

You don't say which viewer you are using. I am assuming the main SL Viewer.

You can learn more about camera position here: Camera Position Tips

• Like 1

If your camera is suddenly pointing straight up - or straight down - or some impossible direction, then try these:

• Press escape a few times. Pressing escape will clear focus from any windows that have focus, and finally, will reset camera position.
  • Press Ctrl-9 - a few times even.
  • Open the camera controls from the top menu → Avatar (or Me) → Camera Controls, then click the X icon to reset your view to default.
  • Go to Advanced (Ctrl-Alt-D if the Advanced menu is not visible) → Show Debug Settings and enter “FocusOffsetRearView” 1) in the input field. Click “Reset to default” at the bottom.
  • If that doesn't work, hold down Shift, then use the mouse wheel to change the camera angle.
  • Right-click yourself and choose Detach All from the menu to remove all HUDs and prim attachments. Sometimes worn items can control your camera perspective. If this fixes the problem, then re-add your items back on one at a time until you find the one causing the problem.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I have same issue in my firestorm viewer but I am looking up at my avatar from below the knees .  Changing the camera angle in the preferences doesn't do anything except bring you closer into the avatar.  Changing the angle of the view using the camera controls only works until you move and then the view goes right back to the way it was before.  I can not use the mouse wheel because I am working from a Surface which has no mouse.  The debug menu also does not work to correct the issue.  REALLY would appreciate some helpful advice.

On 3.3.2013 at 4:04 PM, 0livia Adored said:

I used to use the debug menu as well, but unfortunately it would just reset to god-view when I logged back in.

6 hours ago, barry Eliot said:

I have same issue in my firestorm viewer but I am looking up at my avatar from below the knees .

These sound like OpenCollar camera views. Do either of you wear that or some other item that can override the camera position? If you're in doubt, remove all attachments from your avatar and see if that helps.

Edited by ChinRey
Typo
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.