Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Belladona Viper

Dislike the Real Photo Option

Recommended Posts


Syo Emerald wrote:

Wow cool down!

I'm definitly not the one how cries over someone who puts a real life picture in their profile. Nobody can ruin my entire SL with that and so I don't blame anyone for anything like that. I'm just sometimes wondering about some things I noticed while reading profiles.

ROFL, only part of my post was in response to yours ;) I'm quite cool though, thanks :)

The rest was a general reply to the thread, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am the same person on the inside in RL as I am in SL. My avatar is just a little taller and perkier boobs LOL. Oh, and she has hundreds of different hairstyles...kinda jealous of that lol. I used to put my RL pic up, but for privacy and safety reasons I took it down. I think it's simply wise to be protective of your RL information (real name, picture, RL address & phone number). The only people in SL who get RL details are those whom I've been friends with for a long time, and have built up trust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Tracy Redangel wrote:

I am the same person on the inside in RL as I am in SL. My avatar is just a little taller and perkier boobs LOL. Oh, and she has hundreds of different hairstyles...kinda jealous of that lol. I used to put my RL pic up, but for privacy and safety reasons I took it down. I think it's simply wise to be protective of your RL information (real name, picture, RL address & phone number). The only people in SL who get RL details are those whom I've been friends with for a long time, and have built up trust.

i stopped putting my RL pic up when i started finding it on my friends rl section of their profile..

well their alt they didn't think i would know about..

those wishing to do this kind of a thing should remember one thing..never use the first name of the avatar you took the picture from..because sometimes we do search our own names and look at the profiles lol

that account of their alt doesn't exist anymore..infact i think i am the last of the ceka's..but also was the very first in second life..

 i haz a longevity hehehe \o/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Calm down...It's just my opinion.Of course I end up getting used to having people putting their personal photo on SL,I just don't like it.I don't know if the "pornstart name" was for me...I named my avatar for the flower,I was kinda surprised when I tried googling myself lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Belladona Viper wrote:

Second Life for me is really a second one,I never mix anything from SL and RL,I don't mind when people do it,but for me it really breaks the magic when someone puts their RL picture on the profile and it's very different of what I thought.It annoys me also when people want to know more about my Real Life.

What are you guys opinions about it?

I have a RL pic of the dinosaur tattie on my butt, on my SL profile. If you don't want to see my butt dont look @ it !!

Jeanne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ceka Cianci wrote:


Sextoy Gynoid wrote:

Of course I realized what my name would attract, what I didn't realize was that hundreds of noobs were going to
sign up
several years later for no purpose other than to beg for cam shows.

years later?

i don't remember a time they haven't asked for that..even before voice was added to the grid people hounding to skype or cam..i kept wondering if my name said something else in another language LOL

.

 

 

Right around the time of that CSI tie-in thing (IIRC) there was a big influx of pure RLers, and many of them were the internet pron troll type. I remember because I made note of the differences I was seeing at the time, and I too was suddenly getting bombed by their "A/S/L Voice? Cam?" stuff when I rarely saw this before that. People were griping about it in the old, OLD GD forums as well. It was just a little while after this big influx that I decided I'd had enough of these new RLers zeroing in on me due to my RL picture being in my profile, and so I removed it permanently then and haven't had an issue since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mew mew ma mew, poo :matte-motes-asleep:

 

Well for pixels sake, if you are going to scare us with a picture of yourself, make sure its only your head, i have had enough of non head shots hahahah, oh and keep it to your profile please, my inventory is already busting at the seams, remember once you upload it in SL you have basically published it, its beign backed up , stored offsite, rumaged through by the janitor at night when no ones looking :smileylol:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In some instances I agree that keeping SL apart from RL is essential. In role play, for instance, my RPG character is in no way a reflection of me or anything about me. But as for the times I'm not playing and hanging out with my SL love, it's become different. I'm on his RL twitter, he's on my RL Facebook. We talk on skype, send each other text messages, and I hope some day to meet him RL. Feelings are feelings and I'd rather express those feelings personally than do it from my pixelated projection --- no matter how awesome her closet is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Belladona Viper wrote:

What are you guys opinions about it?

As long as they don't put up porn or hate, I don't care too much.

Though the ones with the frowning lips and crunched in crotches ... I don't think I could manage to even talk to one of those people without getting silently annoyed, so I just avoid them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Perrie Juran wrote:

no one wants to believe that i am really a martian 
:(

I have never doubted. I haven't even perved your profile, to make sure I never found out otherwise :smileyvery-happy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SL and RL mingle pretty much freely for me. I don't have a RL picture up, but have traded pics with friends, but wouldn't give out my full name, or where exactly I'm from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Belladona Viper wrote:

Second Life for me is really a second one,I never mix anything from SL and RL,I don't mind when people do it,but for me it really breaks the magic when someone puts their RL picture on the profile and it's very different of what I thought.It annoys me also when people want to know more about my Real Life.

What are you guys opinions about it?

I'm pretty much with ya Belladonna. I don't think it's something that needs to be an integral part of a persons profile. Personally, I don't mind what a person's RL gender, age, race, sexual orientation is vs that of their avatar whatsoever, other than I do want to feel confident they are of legal age to enjoy the things SL has to offer. And I do agree it can often spoil the fantasy to see RL pics, along with things like voice - even where gender matches.

I think mostly we can share our lives with each other without having it get into uncomfortable areas. I often mention my children for instance or talk about some job I had in the past, or just recal a humorous situation out of RL.. with people I've known a bit longer I mioght discuss serious health concerns and things of that nature or just spend time talkign and listening about personal issue. Basically friendship, ya know But it's not automatic just because we happen to be in the same virtual world. It takes time to grow.

Myself, I'm more comfortyable with knowing more and revealing more as I get to know a person, so anything out of the gate makes me skeptical and nervous, and that includes having (or seeing in a stranger's profile) any RL pics, descriptions or anything that is getting too indepth about RL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I think it should be up to the individual... If they want to share great if not it shouldnt hold anything against them. Its really no one's business who is behind the avi unless that person wants to share it anyway & if your keeping your SL on SL it shouldnt matter, play the role of SL and leave real in real..... BUT if two people choose to take it off here(SL) then yes I feel both sides should be open to the other. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have nothing wrong with the rl pic option and I have my rl pic on my rl section and I personally think that only a superficial person would judge a person on their rl picture. So just because a person's av is sexy and their rl picture isn't then it ruins the mgaic? That's kind of an f'd up view, if you ask me. Also, you should keep in mind that you're view of sl is only one view and that there are people out there that view sl differently from you. I call sl a social game. To some it's just a game, to others it's a social thing where you can meet other people and some people do look for relationships here. I don't know why you are annoyed by people asking you rl questions, just tell them you don't share that information and that's it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I have been reading the forums for years rarely ( or have i ever *shrugs*) posted anything but after reading this thread here goes:

The real question is how does each individual see SL......is it a game ?.....is it a social network.....is it something you should take seriously ?...is it a porn site ? *laughs* this last idea is probably nearer the truth all things considered.

My spin on things, after being here nearly 5 years......don't take it seriously and it is really just a social network with **bleep**ty graphics (my dig at sl coding).......you can't walk around sl without treading in all the bull**bleep** out there.

If people want to share rl pics in their profile....share rl info, why shouldn't they. In my opinion they are being half way honest, okay there are the wierdos who use fake pics (mostly some naked crap).....**bleep** they really do need to get a life not just a second life....but hey thats how the world works we all just have to live with it. It's simple if you don't like don't look.....freedom of choice ;) I'll be honest I look at profiles .......just to have a laugh to myself, over time I think i can pick the bull**bleep** from the reality.

The only thing that really does annoy me is the stupid quote 80% of people in sl have in their profile....."SL = SL RL = RL".....what a dum statement.....how can SL exsist if there wasn't a rl !!!....let's face it, you can.... (this will probably offend some people)......hide behind some glorified avatar but your personailty, complexes, etc etc will become apparent at some time, and even if you are a gender bender anyone with half a brain will realise they are dealing with something that isn't what it seems to be. Now is this a bad thing?  thats for each person to decide for themselves. I have my opinion so let everyone have theirs, whether it agrees with yours or not.

Finally let me put this point out there.......millions of facebook users in the world means (by the law of probabilty) a good majority of sl users will have a facebook account so..........."Why have a facebook account and hide in sl ? ".

just for the record, I do have rl photo in my profile.....what you see is what you get in real as in SL ;)

"Secondlife...where WoW meets the Sims and goes badly wrong"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the feeling you understand very little of the topic. Facebook and Second Life are NOT the same kind of thing. A person creates a facebookaccount to stay in touch with friends and show a little about real life stuff. I don't know anyone who got with that intention into SL. The name itself says it the best way: Its Second Life not "Create another facebookaccount with a dressup doll". Form that point, I can understand it pretty well, why people are not happy with too much RL in their SL.

Its true, nobody as to look on the real life tap, but it can happen acidently and also presents a viewpoint which can be quite awkward in most situation. Happens to me just a couple of days ago. I had just met someone on a nice beach and just five minutes after talking it sounded like he wanted to fill out a facebookpage for me.........or reading his.

Oh, and as someone who had played both games, Sims and WoW for many years: You have absolutly no idea about both games I guess.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Storm Clarence wrote:


UncommonTruth wrote:

 but wouldn't give out my full name, or
where exactly I'm from
.

Mars!  Right?

 

How did you find my sister out? 

Who told you?

Fess up and we'll go easy on you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not trying to hark on you or anything, but you seem to have a real negative view of sl. My question is why don't you just leave? If I don't like something I usually just avoid it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ottiwotti Beattie wrote:

Well I have been reading the forums for years rarely ( or have i ever *shrugs*) posted anything but after reading this thread here goes:

The real question is how does each individual see SL......is it a game ?.....is it a social network.....is it something you should take seriously ?...is it a porn site ? *laughs* this last idea is probably nearer the truth all things considered.

My spin on things, after being here nearly 5 years......don't take it seriously and it is really just a social network with **bleep**ty graphics (my dig at sl coding).......you can't walk around sl without treading in all the bull**bleep** out there.

If people want to share rl pics in their profile....share rl info, why shouldn't they. In my opinion they are being half way honest, okay there are the wierdos who use fake pics (mostly some naked crap).....**bleep** they really do need to get a life not just a second life....but hey thats how the world works we all just have to live with it. It's simple if you don't like don't look.....freedom of choice
;)
I'll be honest I look at profiles .......just to have a laugh to myself, over time I think i can pick the bull**bleep** from the reality.

The only thing that really does annoy me is the stupid quote 80% of people in sl have in their profile....."
SL = SL RL = RL
".....what a dum statement.....how can SL exsist if there wasn't a rl !!!....let's face it, you can.... (this will probably offend some people)......hide behind some glorified avatar but your personailty, complexes, etc etc will become apparent at some time, and even if you are a gender bender anyone with half a brain will realise they are dealing with something that isn't what it seems to be. Now is this a bad thing?  thats for each person to decide for themselves. I have my opinion so let everyone have theirs, whether it agrees with yours or not.

Finally let me put this point out there.......millions of facebook users in the world means (by the law of probabilty) a good majority of sl users will have a facebook account so..........."
Why have a facebook account and hide in sl ?
".

just for the record, I do have rl photo in my profile.....what you see is what you get in real as in SL
;)

"
Secondlife...where WoW meets the Sims and goes badly wrong
"

 

I don't think it's a dumb thing to spell out in a profile myself, but I don't mind if you think that :) Personally I think they should add an optional checkbox at the top for it.

5 years? I been here over 4. Surely you are aware how common it is for people to just assume that everyone's avatar mathces RL perfectly (usually comes from the guy with the plastic hair claiming 'I made my avi to look just like me!)

I like to say this is SL, not ASL. Of course I avoided handing out that info to strangers from the very 1st day I was online with my 1st pc and found myself in AO-hell chatrooms.

I find it curious that some call it 'hiding behind an avatar, while many of us see it as a means of expression :) I personally think it's a reason to celebrate when a person can begin to openly express there inner selves, espeicially in cases where they were not blessed with those physical wears to begin with.

I have some friends on here with some pretty severe physical disabilities. This is a place where they can dance and have a great time. I'd never in a million years dream of telling them that for honesty sake they should have their avatar in a wheel chair or on crutches.

Yes, SL wouldn't exist without RL. RL technology is what made it possible. That it no way devalues the lives that are created here and grow here. Life is life. One place is biological, the other technical. *shrug. Both grow from the individual experiences we have and share :)

Myself, I was just fitted with a computerized implant (talking in RL here) that may be able to automatically recessitate me if my heart just stops some day. It has other amazing functions as well. It can be monitored by my doc online, even by his cell phone.

who knows, maybe some hacker could actually kill me by setting off a bunch of electric shocks in the defibrillator in it, lol

On the other hand, I can accurately say that my heart is indeed online (not that it hasn't been already these past few years)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm fine with people posting their RL profile (abeit I'm pretty sure some of them are not "them" if you know what I mean ;) ), but I digress...

Either way I'm good with it.  What I *don't* like is accepting a dance from a guy and being asked for my RL photo within the first 5 minutes...or first entire dance for that matter.  If I form a relationship with someone, and I don't mean knowing them a week, I will send a photo if it is mutually acceptable.

The old online a/s/l is becoming a/s/l/photo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 I actually dont care either way  I really dont care how a person looks.. well unless its actually that fat guy sitting behind the monitor...ya know the picture.. Or do I need to post it here?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...