second life down again? unscheduled maintenance?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4367 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://status.secondlifegrid.net/

[Posted 11:42am PDT 7 May 2012] We are currently undergoing unscheduled maintenance. This may cause some Residents to be logged out or prevent some from being able to login. Some services including the Second Life Marketplace are unavailable during this maintenance. Please keep an eye on this blog for updates.

So it's official ....

I'm off to Kaneva.com, which I've just started exploring.

Looks like engineering is blundering around the core servers again and messed up the database some more. This is following the same path we saw ten days ago and does not bode well.  Would be nice if they would own up to the problem and report it in grid status, but this is expecting too much of LL and we can only hope that in their blundering they dont crash the entire system.  By the way as of now it seems logins are out, marketplace, transactions, likely ports, group notices, so we can warn others of this problem in lieu of LL doing it.  In otherwords, they have created a major mess with no warning and we are all left holding the bag, but what more should we expect of these guys and should probably be grateful for the brief respite Oskar and the restart team gave us..

After refreshing a few times, I did get the grid status page to come back up, but it seems to go in and out. I'm not really sure if that's just my connection (though my computer is showing full bars). It's frustrating that they didn't post about the problem the second they caught onto it. At least have the decency to tell us what's going on....if it's something that is going to take a while to fix, or something that should have the servers back up in a little while. Etc.

We will probably get an update on the grid status, after the problem has been fixed. :/

[Posted 11:42am PDT 7 May 2012]  We are currently undergoing unscheduled maintenance. This may cause some Residents to be logged out or prevent some from being able to login. Some services including the Second Life Marketplace are unavailable during this maintenance. Please keep an eye on this blog for updates.

Hopefully if they kick us all already out they fix the merchant outbox FINALLY! but i doubt it

I predict that they will update the grid status in a bit, say that it's been resolved, and then we'll still have the same issues. Only for them to re-open the case and say they are still working on it. Just like the last time this went down. :/

hi stewart, yep on the same boat in less than 30 days and 3 times. they said 3rd time is the last one, so i hope this is the last time. oh well i was able to log in, but is still not working fine, but i dont want to log out to then be disabled. Time to bring my other account in to see if i can log out and then back to fix the names that arent loading right on my primary account..See u in SL stewart9...

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

[Posted 11:42am PDT 7 May 2012] We are currently undergoing unscheduled maintenance. This may cause some Residents to be logged out or prevent some from being able to login. Some services including the Second Life Marketplace are unavailable during this maintenance. Please keep an eye on this blog for updates.

So it's official ....

I'm off to Kaneva.com, which I've just started exploring.

Same here. xD

Completed does not mean completed successfully, and things do not seem all that stable at this point.  Looks for these unannounced Mainennance interludes to continue and things to get progressively worse, until eventually LL either hires some people that know what they are doing or just admits it cant be fixed and leave it alone and stabilize it to whatever degree that is possible.  As of now neither is happening and it looks as if each time they have an episode like this we take a step backward toward further chaos.  Prehaps LL should conside taking as thier moto "first do no harm" which has stood the medical community in good stead for a few thousand years now, but given their apparent attitude that may be beyond them.

These issues were the result of a hardware failure in one of our datacenters. The issue was noticed immediately and acted upon within minutes. A key first step is intentionally disabling logins and billing. The second step is recovering the hardware or working around it. The third step is bringing services back online slowly to make sure all is well. This entire process took 30 minutes. Say what you will, but that is a very impressive response time. After core functionality was returned we focused on regions that had been affected and worked to get them stable again. 

I know it is frustrating when events like this happen, and we understand the difficulties it is from your perspective. We react as quick as possible to stabilize the grid once events like this arise. 

__Oskar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4367 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.