Obsolete System Requirements listed in Wiki. Will there be an update soon?

chuctanunda

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am researching to buy or build a new SL capable PC. I notice that the recommended NVIDIA graphics cards:  9000 Series, posted at http://secondlife.com/support/system-requirements/ are now obsolete. At least you can't find them for sale on the nvidia site http://www.nvidia.com/object/graphics_cards_buy_now.html

I don't want to buy an old GPU for a new build. It would be helpful if the post had a date on it, and if the  model numbers were updated to reflect what is for sale now, and if there were some basic characteristics of components listed that work with SL, rather than specific models, which become outdated so quickly. 

The discussion  at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Choosing_a_computer#Research is somewhat helpful, but not much use in wading through all the marketing hype when trying to choose components. 

I also have noticed that some of the links in that discussion are also out dated,  like the one on whether the viewer takes advantage of today's multi core processors, which seems to be based on V1, and most of the discussion is five years and 3+ Viewer versions old. 

Could we please have some 2012 guidance on the WIKI on putting an SL capable system together?

All those developers who keep cranking out new versions of SL, Phoenix and Firestorm. Perhaps they could post their sys info on the wiki, with a discussion on what works and what doesn't. Or at least a discussion of some of the newer technolgies  in gpus & CPUs and how that relates to SL.

After stumbling through SL for almost a year on an integrated graphics card, I would hate to spend money on a new system, only to find out that I bought the wrong thing, or that the horrid lag wasn't because of my subpar compu, but an SL problem. 

Does anyone out there have some recent stories to share about what components of  new builds work with SL? 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

Just becasuse you cant find them on Nvidia site for sale doesnt make them obsolete.

9800GT still works great in SL So if you dont want to buy an Old one then buy a new one. The system requirements sholdnt tell you what to buy. Only tells you the minimum you need to play

Of course Nvidia will move out some older GPUs to sell the New Gpus they crank out daily now..

P.S. Linden Lab doesn't answer these

For what it's worth, my GeForce 9800 continues to handle SL just fine.  I use Firestorm every day.  As Baloo says, the posted specs may be out of date, but they are minimum specs.  Get something heftier and it will almost certainly work.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.