Media, Video, TV HELP

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm so frustrated with the lack of information about video in SL.

All I want to know is Can I watch my own DVD's on one of those TV's that's for sale in marketplace? If so, where oh where can I find out how to do it? The creators don't give any information. They just list what it can do. Which means nothing to me. I'm not paying 3K to find out later that you can't. :/

Please help me understand this :)

P.S. Didn't know where else to post this.

If you mean a dvd that you own in real life then no, but if you own a "dvd" and "dvd player" in-world then more than likely yes.
Try sending a message to whomever created the TV for more information. Don't spend your hard earned linden just yet.

What do you mean by your own Dvds?

You can use a Dvd player that some places offer on a single prim if you wanted to. All you need is a texture that matches the media texture on your land.

If you mean a Dvd you own in real life,  you'd have to put the movie on a stream somewhere and then connect that stream to your land.

Did that help?

Jacki Silverfall wrote:

Yes, I see  I'll have to notecard the creator (sigh) I'll hang on to my lindens until I am more educated
:)

basically it would need like a relay server  or uploaded to a server  itself to get a url to play it..

like music you can stream in world..

you can do that in two ways..the music can be played from a player that connects to a server that becomes like an internet radio station..

i don't know if they have them for movies..but they might..i would think you would need a really good connection and good system to run that and sl at the same time..

for both of you to watch it..itwould take having shared media on..you don't really even need to buy the tv  to watch them at the same time..

you just need a server to upload the movie to..or a server that will allow you to stream from your computer and play it to a server where you both could connect to watch it..

shared media lets you drop a prim and then put in the url and watch the movie from the prim..both of you could watch it at the same time..

the older tv's ran from land settings..both users had to start the movie and would be starting at separate times..

the new tv's are pretty much like the old sl radios loded with urls or channles..

drop a prim and use shared media and you can pretty much put in any url you wanted..

With the current state of the internet it is very hard to stream from most home computers, especially video as it takes much more bandwidth than music alone.  Everything depends on the upload speed of your internet connection, and that's usually much slower than the download speed simply because most people don't need to send anything like as much as they receive.  A server's connection can be reversed, however - the only thing it receives are little requests for data, what it sends back are complete films (for instance) - so that it's upload speed is optimised.

That's really important too.  If you've ever seen adverts for streaming-server hosts they'll advertise for the number of concurrent listener/viewers they support.  That's because you can't "broadcast" once on the internet the way real TV and radio work.  Instead everything has to be copied (streamed) to each particular receiver.  For every additional person/computer that watches your video at the same time your streaming server has to send another copy.

And that's why streaming is hard for a computer.  It's not that you're asking it to play a DVD, but to play it 2, 3, ... 100 times at the same time.

Streaming may well be considered 'public performance'.  You will need licence from, and to pay royalties to, the copyright holder.

Bouttime - copying/converting DVDs in that way is illegal in most jurisdictions.

You would have to find a hosting site. Sorry I don't know of a good one.

eta: to answer the second part, buying a Tv won't make any difference. You would get the same result on the Second Life side with a textured flat prim.

TVs used to be good when there were hosting sites running. Now that there are not the TVs only work with SLTV. The main bonus with SL TVs besides how they looked sometimes was the script inside that activated the links.

The hard part will be getting the movie online. That is why so many people rent movies with DVD players in Second Life I guess. Even if it is not really legal.

However Dilbert does not want Hollywood to sue him, unless he gets to meet some really famous directors, so he has asked me* to point out that he is in no way condoning, soliciting or inciting criminal acts.

*This is a lie, but he probably would if he thought about it.

Bouttime Whybrow wrote:

'm not so sure ripping a dvd is illegal. i know studios may claim it is, but what would in fact be lawful is another matter.

has a court ruled on that? fair use plays no part?

i don't think making a backup copy is ..but uploading it to a server and streaming it or letting others stream it on the internet probably is..

not if it is kept private for only a select few to view for free.

its the same as if i invited people over to watch the new movie i bought. if i open my house to the public and charge admission then i am in trouble. same as pubs that show sporting events. they buy the PPV and let others watch for free. perfectly legal.

i cannot believe or accept that if i convert a dvd, upload it to the net so i can watch it with my brother and best friend who live far away that i am a criminal. and i doubt anyone else who matters(courts) will either.

It is possible that it is legal to copy media for personal use in your country but illegal in the copyright holder's or that of the web-hosting company.  All those count and if someone decides to sue you they're going to do so in the jurisdiction most favourable to them.

I think most specifically, if you say you are ripping something to share with people "who live far away" then you'd have a hard time making a 'fair use' case.  What really matters though, is do you want to be the test-case?  Cover your arse.  At least get proper legal advice before you bend the law.

And if there's even a chance something is illegal somewhere it's not a good idea to suggest on a public forum that they do it.

i was giving clear and accurate info on how to do something as opposed to confusing them even more.

how is it done? they way i explained. is that a crime or not? that is up for debate.

i did not suggest a crime be commited for it has not be established it is a crime, thus far it is only speculation.

never the less, that is how it is done.

all these DJs streaming music are doing the same thing. if some asks how do they stream songs in sl, i cannot tell them because i should consider wearing my interpol hat first?

Stick an "if you have the required permission/licence and are paying any necessary royalties" on it.

Or not.  It's up to you whether you want to cover yourslf.  It's up to them whether they want to break the law.  It's up to the copyright holders whether they want to sue.  Ignorance of the law is normally no defence and an awful lot of what is being discussed sounds like 'public performance'.  Get legal advice if you want it.

Ok - I'm not offering legal advice but a quick google for 'personal use' ripping suggests:

• UK: Illegal
  • US: No specific ruling.  Not protected by 'fair use'.
  • Australia, Canada, France, Germany, New Zealand, Poland, Spain, Sweden: legal (probably: with varying levels of confidence)

In no country that has a ruling is it legal to sell or give another person a copy - which is what you do when you stream stuff.

The problem is all inside your head you simply see, the answer is easy if you take it logically.

I'd like to help her in her struggle to stream TV.

though it's really not my habit to intrude and furthermore, I hope my meaning won't be lost or misconstrued.
I'll repeat myself at the risk of being crude,
here's the way to stream your DVDs, here's the way to stream your DVDs,

You just rip out the track Jack!
Make a new file Lyle!
Plop it on the net Jett!
Stick the link on a prim Jim!
And stream your stuff for free Lee!

Bouttime Whybrow wrote:

The problem is all inside your head you simply see, the answer is easy if you take it logically.

I'd like to help her in her struggle to stream TV.

though it's really not my habit to intrude and furthermore, I hope my meaning won't be lost or misconstrued.

I'll repeat myself at the risk of being crude,

here's the way to stream your DVDs, here's the way to stream your DVDs,

You just rip out the track Jack!

Make a new file Lyle!

Plop it on the net Jett!

Stick the link on a prim Jim!

And stream your stuff for free Lee!

thats all i was doing was  helping her as well which was my first post here.then i seen you guys getting all legal and decided to join in..mainly because i forgot that it can be illegal to do this..i just wasn't wide awake when i answered her is all hehehe

but yes there is a law against ripping it and uploading it to the net..under the DMCA..it's considered copy write infringement..

we can make a copy for our personal use..as long as we don't bypass the protections set by the copy writes owner..then upload it to the net for others..ripping it to a file from a dvd bypasses the protections..

thats the same as copy botting and bypassing the perms or protections set by content creators in sl..

i wasn't trying to argue with you..i was just trying to be cautious is all..i know i quoted you but it was also kind of a general thing i was trying to say to the thread as well..cause i don't want anyone getting into trouble because of what i mentioned before also..

i just didn't have any tea in me yet  and i was groggy still hehehe

i don't think they would have much to worry about since their friends would probably not turn them in anyways hehehe

Hi, there are 2 ways to do what you are asking.

You can not directly play the DVD in Second Life.  You can rip the DVD to a file, and upload it to the web, or you can stream it live to a video site like Ustream or justin.tv.    If you want to view the movie on Shared Media on a Prim, the video format needs to be flash.  Alternatively, you can use the old media parcel settings, and link to an MOV or quicktime formatted file.

If the movie is something private that you do not want uploaded to say a site like Youtube, you would probably have to go the QUICKTIME route.   Dropbox, which offers I believe 2-5 free gigs of space, has a public folder where you can drag your quicktime movie file into it, and grab the link.  You can then place the public link to that movie file into your Land Media Parcel settings.

Like I said this is different than web on a prim.  Web on a prim will only support movies embedded in the flash format and will not work with SL Viewer 1 which some people will not let go of. :)

You can possibly try using L1vestream (not sure why SL forum wont let me type that out) or Justin TV's video producer to capture the DVD if you are playing it live on your computer.  Basically you are broadcasting the live video of the desktop (which you will run the DVD on).  You do need decent bandwidth, and also depending on the content of your DVD if it is copyright material you are not supposed to use it on those sites, even though you can probably catch illegal DVD movie streaming on Justin TV or Ustream if you search for it.

But also, just be aware, these "dvds" that they SELL in Second LIfe of real movies are not legal.  First they are not real DVDs obviously, just a virtual scripted object that links to a movie file hosted somewhere, as I decribed above with the Quicktime Land Media Parcel.  They are not legal, its essentially downloading a pirated movie.

We at Metaverse TV distribute our inworld TVs for free, you should check them out.  They are shared media (web on a prim) only, but we have designed some nice interfaces to search and watch videos from the major sites that give you the television experience instead of just throwing up a prim and going to youtube.com. 

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Metaverse-TV-Free-Collection-20-Includes-YouTube-Hulu-Viewer-2-ONLY/279580

Robustus Hax wrote: 

But also, just be aware, these "dvds" that they SELL in Second LIfe of real movies are not legal.  First they are not real DVDs obviously, just a virtual scripted object that links to a movie file hosted somewhere, as I decribed above with the Quicktime Land Media Parcel.  They are not legal, its essentially downloading a pirated movie.

Yep. But strangely those stores have prospered in Second Life for years. The owners say they make a real wage out of it. 

What is so funny is those stores forbid anyone from using the DVD players except in their Second Life homes. Because to do otherwise would be stealing. :D

(sorry i quoted you out of habit of hitting that quote button clarissa lol)

the only way you can legally rip a dvd and upload it to the net is with permission to do so from the copy writes owner..unless they give permission already somewhere..

the DCMA steps in and makes it copy write infringement because ripping it from the dvd is like scrambling the protection used in it's original form by the copy writes owner..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.