Does SL accept prepaid credit cards?

LuciaRiley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

9 answers to this question

Yes.  My husband and I use a prepaid money card (credit card) inworld all the time.  No matter what store offers the card, Visa or Mastercard are behind the card.  This is a safer method than using an actual credit card or debit card in case it gets compromised.  Only the money that was loaded into the card can be stolen.  Just remember to reload the card from the store you got it, to prevent a zero balance when you go to use it.

• Like 2

Amza is lucky.  LL does not accept most prepaid cards.  Do not invest a lot of money into any prepaid card until you have checked it to make sure it will work.

If it doesn't, you can usually use it to buy $L on a reputable third party site such as VirWox.

• Like 2

Generally, no.  To quote LL directly (  http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Billing/ta-p/700037#Section_.7.2 ) .....

Issues with prepaid and gift cards

A common cause of payment method failure is the use of unsupported card types. At this time, the majority of prepaid cards are not compatible with our system, even if they bear the VISA/AMEX/Mastercard logo. This includes cards purchased at retail stores, rechargeable credit cards, and bank-issued check cards.

There are a few gift cards that do work. I just put in this card:

https://www311.americanexpress.com/BOLWeb/bolfeOrder.do?request_type=orderShipping&promotion=AG01&program=AGCWEB&selleracctnbr=US001-5858&producttypecd=AG&intlink=us-giftcard-consumerblueselect-personalized

But for some odd reason and i think this is the restriction, it won't let me purchase anything online when i go to shopping --> buy linden. It says "That exceeds your current limit of US$ 0.00" and i know for a living fact i have 18.23 on there. I used to have 19 and for some reason, when i checked my balance, it said that i spent $1 (LINDEN RESEARCH, INC - Purchase (AXP) w/ Bal Return & AVS)

But i managed to successfully add a prepaid gift card. trying to purchase i'm unsure of

• Like 1

Ahh. yes. That IS true. An AMEX gift card is one of the few that you can reload. It doesn't have a starting balance that just goes down to zero and expires once you have spent everything. That's why we are usually careful to say that LL does not accept MOST gift cards.

The message after the $1 purchase is Linden Lab's verification of the card. They charge a small amount against the card and then immediately refund it. That's what "Purchase (AXP) w/ Bal Return" means. It's a standard verification process for a lot of businesses. That way they know that your card works both ways. The part I'm confused about is the message about the limit, but I think I may have an answer. There's a note in the Knowledge Base that says, "If you're planning to purchase land or L$ through Linden Lab with an American Express card, you should first call American Express and authorize an open billing agreement with Linden Lab. Once American Express has enabled it, you should be able to use your American Express card to buy land or L$." I suspect that AMEX is just overly protective and doesn't believe that you want to spend money on virtual goods. Strange, but possible.

They don't accept Money Network pay cards, I know that much, and Skrill doesn't except them either, even paypal, won't work on SL because I use the card for that! Basically in a nutshell I can use my card for everything and anything except second life. I even have a balance on my paypal, and they wont accept that either! pathetic!!!!

On 5/5/2012 at 11:35 AM, Amza Hydraconis said:

Yes.  My husband and I use a prepaid money card (credit card) inworld all the time.  No matter what store offers the card, Visa or Mastercard are behind the card.  This is a safer method than using an actual credit card or debit card in case it gets compromised.  Only the money that was loaded into the card can be stolen.  Just remember to reload the card from the store you got it, to prevent a zero balance when you go to use it.

If your card agreements are typical, a debit card or prepaid card is not necessarily safer than a credit card. All of my credit cards carry zero liability protection. I also have a zero liability debit card, for use at places that don't accept cards with merchant fees. Last year, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau issued new rules extending the requirement for fraud protection to prepaid debit cards as well. In an effort to thin my wallet and lighten my purse, I closed all CC accounts that didn't offer zero liability (though not for that reason).

Regardless whether you have credit, debit or prepaid debit cards, check your cardholder agreement to see how well you are protected.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.