Sign in to follow this  
Trin1

TP's failing for LOTS of people

What's going on?

a lot of people in my groups, including myself can't tp anywhere.

it's happening to over 100 people >.<

obviously something is wrong here.

*Seems to be fixing itself, but I think something may have been seriously wrong.

Was happening to me too..... after trying several things I discovered the region I was trying to TP to was down, although not showing down on the map.

Not sure this is your problem... but... try the basics first.... relog, and make sure where you're trying to TP to is actually connected to the grid. Also, try moving to the SIM next door the old fashion way (walk or fly)... then try to TP from there.

And of course... don't count on the grid status report to tell you anything about things being down or messed up.

*First off this isnt a gripe, I try be positive, but there is very little giving us reason to be positive lately, i still try to be, and i offer a teleport workaround that has helped me. Perhaps it will help some others too.

TP fails, this happens alot of times and to many of my friends aswell. What i can say is the following: Dont use teleport.!!

ITS NOT OUR INTERNET

ITS NOT OUR VIEWER

Its not ever any of the shrug off explanations support like to give us. And no relog and then teleport will not be even attempted. Its been done to death already by millions. The explanation its your internet having problems can be instantly disproved by the following:

Lets have our local internet work alot harder.

Instead of doing a teleport. Add some more workload, Logoff. And on the login screen type region/X/Y/Z

Presto! your at the target. Never fail. Only fails if target is full. But its been weeks since i was at a parcel that was full, i wonder why......seems alot people have become disillusioned and dont login anymore.

Workaround: dont teleport! logoff and login to region/X/Y/Z it does get you to where you want to go. Probably adds more workload to the login servers but hey i dont care.

What is very likely is its related to the region information handling. So all fingers toes hands noses appendages point to some sort of server having bad software written into it. Lets go to work on the right part folks. Blaming viewers or clients connections failed to be cool years ago.

I have noticed that if you use About land when this is happening you see contents of your  about land window and see parcel details. Then the next second you look the window has changed and parcel is now owned by nobody with 0 size and so on.

Dont open a new about land window. All you need do is click on the bar at the top of the screen and the window get populated by the right information again. Somehow the already opened window changes to describe a parcel with 0 size owned by nobody.

You dont need to reopen the window just click the bar at the top of screen and your already opend window changes back to being correct.

WHY it cant stay correct while your looking at it is for someone to wakeup and fix..

I can imagine if the same thing happens with respect to the code responsible for doing the teleporting, then parcel details vanish it ofcourse cant finish the teleport.

I crash almost every time I try to teleport, no matter where I am going or coming from.  At first I thought it was my computer, but  I have a brand new computer and it is still happening!  I have tried different viewers and no matter what 4 out of the 5 times I try to teleport I will be logged out! 

I am having approximately half of my teleports fail now.  Normally I would think that 10% was a lot. I've been trying to find a pattern but without any luck.

I also cannot teleport home nor anywhere else. I keep getting placed at a safe hub. THIS IS DEFINATELY A PROBLEM FOR MANY!! This is not an internet problem. If that was the case then I couldn't log in Guild Wars or Champions Online. They use up the same amount of bandwidth as SL. It's not my computer....again I can run the above 2 programs, no problems. This has been happening all day to me and my friend in another city!! Chat support just restarts the sim and even that doesn't work.

This and many other problems are getting progressively worse since engineering worked on the core server Monday and created a bug in it the week before.  Frankly, it is starting to look like in fixing the problem they created, engineering has recreated all the problems that Oskar and the restart team along with the inventory team have worked so hard to alleviate over the last month and a half.  This, however, is par for the course for LL who despite the huges fees many of us pay for services we generally do not get continue to provide shoddy service, poor support and little honest information to the very people that keep them in business and pay their bills.  One has to marvel at their poor business sense which has driven off huge numbers of paying customers since the first of the year and failed to hold the new ones the lure in.  At the rate they are going one has to wonder if SL has any chance at all of surviving this dearth of leadship and ability.  Right now the only bright light I see is the restart team which has made a wonderful effort to fix things, but which unfortunately has the ground routinely pulled out from under them by poorly planned and executed projects by other members of the engineering team who apparently do not have a clue of what they are doing or the effect it will have one the core program.  This is pathetic and in a responsible company these people woudl be held responsible for their mistakes but with LL will likely be left free to do it again and again.

I can't really understand what the problem is. As far as I can tell, Linden labs has made some incredible new and innovative changes that have completely renewed my SL experience.

I spent a lovely weekend, teleporting out to the backyard and visiting my vegetable garden, watering my strawberries, squash and tomatoes/tomatillos, then teleporting out to the driveway, getting in my car, and teleporting to the park with a beautiful avatar whom I can confirm as actually being female, where I teleported with her from the rose gardens across the bridge to the fountain, and even teleported all the way to the store and bought some food, then teleported back home and cooked it.

It was spectacular. We lolled and lolled, and took snapshots.

I didn't have any connectivity problems, I didn't have to try any other viewer than the original one I started out with. I didn't get logged out, I didn't have to clear cache or reboot, and I didn't have to get live help or file a ticket.

Maybe you should give it a try, before your original viewer stops working.

Failing TPs isn't a new problem at all. It's worse trying to TP out of a busy region than into it, and region crossings (walking from one region to another) almost never fail. The bizarre part is that trying to TP as opposed to walking to the next door region will usually fail. Some regions fail trying to TP out of them 9 times out of 10 no matter what. Failing TPs is a bug - they should NEVER fail if the system is working properly. Getting LL to address the underlying problems is pretty much impossible. It's really unfortunate that almost everything in SL is implemented in a half-assed way... Most of the functionality is there, but not all of it. Implementing wearable mesh without having it automatically fit your avatar is another example of this mentality.