Where did my new avatar go?

MsFearless

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all I am very new to sl so please bear with me. I bought a new avatar last night as my student avatar I signed up with was a bit boring, I also bought 3 new outfits all before logging in. I logged in, I found my items in boxes at the top right of my screen, found a sandbox to open them and did everything I had read I needed to do...I think. Dragged box to ground, clicked open, copied to inventory then clicked wear....nothing happened! I repeated this several times opening all 4 boxes over and over again, copied blah blah click wear and again I wear a box! I also can't find my new avatar...I have definitely got the outfits but no gorgeous new avatar I was hoping for. I don't understand what I need to do and I am really upset I spent 1000 and can't do anything with any of it. I really wish this part was more simple! Please can someone help me? I have contacted the avatar maker to explain I can't find it but think it may be gone forever and worse still the avatar I do have wont even wear the outfits I bought... Please don't send me a link on opening boxes, that part I have done so many times..I just don't understand when I click wear after copying to my inventory I still get a box stuck to me It's driving me mad!,, Thanks in advance for help :(

If you copy to inventory and then just right-click the box and Wear (without reopening the box and doing it that way), you'll end up wearing the box. Is it possible that's what you did?

Were they no-copy items? If so, they'll no longer be in the boxes that they came in but will be in folders (with the same name as the boxes) in your inventory (you would have gotten a popup that said they were no-copy and that they were going to be moved instead).

Relax - it'just takes getting used to - fortunately you're fearless ; )

It sounds like you're still trying to wear the boxes. When you "opened" the boxes you created folders in your inventory. Your new avatar parts are in these folders. If you go to the "Inventory" panel (click the button that looks like a suitcase to open it) you can see the folders. Some of them may be tucked away in inside pre-made folders like "Clothing" or "Body Parts" but they're probably sitting between those folders and the one labeled "Library." It sounds like you may now have multiple copies of these folders - that's okay; you can delete the duplicates later.

Look for a folder that sounds like the name of the avatar you bought. Look in it - there should be several items. The two that are most important are the one that has icons that look like a short and tall person standing next to each other - that's the "shape", or the body shape of the avatar - and the one with an icon that looks like a person's head and shoulders that's half pale and half tan - that's the "skin", or outer appearance of the avatar. Right click on both of these and select "Wear" or "Replace".  This will change how  your avatar looks.

Depending on what kind of avatar you got you may have other parts like hair or clothes. The thing that looks like a head in profile with brown hair is called "hair" but it's an old-fashioned way of making hair that's now only used to set the shape of your eyebrows. You can wear that one or keep the one that came with your student body.

Other things look like pieces of clothing - they're simple types of clothing that will sort of be "painted" on your body. Then there are orange box-looking things - those are "objects." They're used for a lot of things - high-quality hair and shoes, and 3D parts of outfits like skirts and pants cuffs. Pick each item and select "Wear" or "Replace" (If you're already wearing things "Replace" will usually behave more reliably.)

I hope that helps and if you need more help try looking for me on-line later - I like helping new people. Good luck and welcome to Second Life!

Thank you so much for your replies! I was up until 1am last night trying to do it until I eventually gave up! I will log back in later and see if I can follow yr instructions...I think if I ever do find them there will b loads of them as I opened and copied so many times lol so if I find the skin and shape and click replace I will look like the avatar I bought? Do I need to do the hair and make up etc as well or will it just all appear complete? Or am I expecting way too much? Lol It was a noya complete avatar which said could be copied I will let you know how I get on later Fingers crossed! X

Hi, yes it was complete so am hoping when I log in later I will look as beautiful as the picture! So If I already have skin, shape clothes hair etc I need to click replace? Or am I better off getting nude and starting from scratch?

I'm not a fan of "Replace."  If you click a folder that's only hair & say *replace* it will take off everything BUT the hair!  (If it's a full avatar, in this case, replace would be fine.  But, learn to ignore that replace choice.  You could end up butt nekkid and bald, only wearing shoes!)   The longer you're here, the more comfortable you'll become with it and know whether you like wear or replace.  I find its less embarrasing  to take off extra stuff than be nekkid in a club and have to add.

Also, I've learned the hard way not to open a box and copy AND wear (same as above).  Copy it first into your inventory, then find items/folders and click wear.

So, if it's a complete avatar, search for the name of the folder.  Inside should be what was included in the box.  Some people put a box inside of a box, which means you'll have to unpack twice (annoys the crap out of me!).  If you are ever wearing a box, its because you need to unpack it.   So right click the folder, choose "Wear"

Most of all, welcome & have fun.  

Hi all

well i did find the outfits I bought and can waer them which is great but cant find the avatar I bought, I have just purchased a new one which is in my inventory, opened unpacked etc..I still have no idea whatever happened to the first one but thank you all so much for helping me...now I have a new problem...I have been just a cloud for half an hour!lol

Thanks again

x

If you can remember the name of it, at the top of your inventory is a search bar.  Type the name of it.  It should come up.

If you can't, go through your transaction history or order history (marketplace).  You can find the name that way.  Then do the inventory search.

Re the cloud:  there are a few fixes.  If you do an inventory search for hairbase, wear that & it may change you.  Otherwise, a character test, which I don't know what viewer you're on, so I can't even begin to tell you how to start that.  But, others probably know it for each viewer.  Good luck.

Welcome to SL and all its glitches!

Good advice Naughty Caramel, although I'd not jump to a character test without taking off any tattoo layers first.  

Tattoo layers commonly cause bake problems when logging in for some reason, so taking them off and doing a quick "rebake" often works to resolve clouding at login.

Thank you you have all been so helpful! I have searched my inventory for the avatar but can't find it, I do have a nice ne one now though and having lots of fun dressing up etc. I am loving sl, it's good fun! Next step is getting my own place....don't worry though I won't attempt that just yet, lol X

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.