honesty does exist on sl ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Franques wrote:

Sorry to hear that happened to you. schare the name of the guy's sl name here, so we all know about him...

I, for one, will IMMEDIATELY refuse him to access my roleplay sim.

This is exactly why it is against the rules to name people in such an instance.  Imagine if this were a completely fabricated accusation and they had been named... then you'd be refusing access to someone who did nothing at all wrong.  Think about it.

...Dres

Responding before reading the other comments.  My experience has been that SL is a microcosm of RL - dishonest people exist everywhere.  There is the added factor that with online anonymity (and this encompasses all online venues - I've personally witnessed this beginning in the 80's on IRC (Internet Relay Chat) - people who may not be *as* dishonest or as big of a jerk RL due to the consequences *may* be online.  However, I personally believe whether a person acts on it or not, if one is prone to dishonesty, that personality trait exists.

As for SL specifically (and, again, this is just from my personal experience plus those of several close friends) I have found that people who are not out to play dishonest games, especially for sexual gain, are found in places other than the common meeting spots - nightclubs, dance venues, some types of rp environments, etc. Of course honest people *can* be found in those places, but the percentages are lower.

Venues/sims/activities that involve some type of hobby, charity, education, etc. - places where the main goal is not to "hook up" are where I have found more "real" people.  As a recent example - one of my SL friends met a man a few years ago at a sim dedicated to the American architect Frank Lloyd Wright.  They had a mutual interest in this particular architect and his work.  The sim hosted a "build off" contest which the man entered.  This initial mutual interest led them to first become friends and later (I think at least a year) SL partners.  Last year they met in person for the first time and last month were married. :)

Other places I have met wonderful people have been via working with the annual Relay for Life activity, support groups for various illnesses, religious communities, SL classes, becoming involved in the merchant community of SL, meeting people at the "training classes" for my VKC dogs - you get the idea.  I have friends who have met great people at live concerts.

Don't get me wrong, I love going to especially vintage type, themed dance venues - I love the clothes and music.  Invariably I am asked to dance and even men who initially seem to be charming and sincere have 100% of the time turned out to be players - most of whom have disappeared from the SL landscape, and likely have reappeared in another av...lol.

I am sorry for your experience.  My "radar" goes off when someone, especially someone I haven't known long, asks me for money.  That happened to me last summer in an MMORPG.  That person was promptly muted.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.