Sign in to follow this  
Muireann McMillan

Addons on new OpenCollar collars?

Hello,

I like OpenCollar for chat commands and the builtin relay and stuff. On the old 3.400 copy I have it also has loads of useful addons like Spy and Bell.

But when I have my subs get new pretty OpenCollar collars in the OpenCOllar area, there are no add-ons there!

How do I add these add-ons to new collars? I especially love Spy because it gives me an idea of the online time of my sub, so I can see if our timezones work together.

The OC now comes with a basic set of scripts by default, and you -- your subs, rather -- need to use the updater to add extra modules if desired.

oc menu.JPG

/me suspects operator error!   Stick her in a cage till she gets it right.   That'll learn her.

Seriously, I've just tried it with a new default OC and it works fine.

The problem is that all the petty collars are no transfer; it's only the default one that you can transfer to people. 

It's the same mechanism for all of them, though, so maybe you could get your own collar and talk your sub through it.

If I get time tomorrow, I'll try to put together a series of screen shots to help, but I'm surprised your sub is having such difficulties with it. 

The sub (actually a he) tried the Tooth collar and pdated it, including Spy. There was a message:

[16:18] OpenCollarUpdater - 3.714: : ExtraSpy will be updated/installed.

Yet when all was over and he picked up the collar, only Label became available!

And I really do need Spy!

What can we do to ensure the addons WORK? Apart from using the basic collar.

As promised, I've tested this and I'm having no difficulty applying the plug-ins.

I got a new Tooth Collar from the vendor at my shop and confirmed it had no plug-ins installed.

collar 1.JPG

Then I rezzed it on the ground, rezzed an updater next to it, and chose the appropriate options

oc menu.JPG

Then I updated it, let it sit on the ground for a few seconds to let the menus rebuild, and checked my add-ons.  And there they were, as expected.

oc menu new.JPG

oc menu 2.JPG

oc menu bell.JPG

All I can suggest is that your sub gets himself a brand new tooth collar from a vendor and tries to update that. You might also want to check that you are, in fact, on his collar as the primary owner, since I see that the Spy options are only available to the Primary owner.   

Other than that, I'm stumped, I'm afraid.

On some thinking, I suspect that the boy may have been impatient and may have picked the collar up before the menus got fully built. Should I just tell him to leave it next to the updater for a fixed long period, like ten or twenty minutes? The problem is, it happens in a public place so he'll be stuck watching it.

I only left it for a few seconds.  Ten minutes sounds a bit excessive -- 30 seconds, more like.   There's a "Rebuild Menus" button on the collar menu, I think -- it can't hurt for him to click that.   

The only other thing I'm wondering about is whether there's a problem resurfaced with giving running scripts to objects -- I've not heard anything, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

I did my update on the Freedonia sim, which is on the main server channel (i.e., not a release channel).   I've got a shop there, Something Spunky and Second Moon, where he could rez his collar and try to update it, if he likes, and see if that makes any difference.

You can try updating while the collar is worn. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, never been able to figure out why.