Second Life stalker what to do

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4373 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So it seems that my friend and i more so my friend has a SL salker. He herrases us and get us banned from our land by lieing and just wont leave us alone. What should i do. I wont make a new avi i only have the one "and one i use to test one" but ya i can make him stop....with out going RL and prombly breaking some laws lol. Is there any TOS rules that may apply to this at all ?

2toe Bigboots wrote:

So it seems that my friend and i more so my friend has a SL salker. He herrases us and get us banned from our land by lieing and just wont leave us alone. What should i do. I wont make a new avi i only have the one "and one i use to test one" but ya i can make him stop....with out going RL and prombly breaking some laws lol. Is there any TOS rules that may apply to this at all ?

I do not understand how he can get you banned from *your* land.  You have control over who enters or not.  I trust you and your friend have already blocked/muted him and removed him from your friends list.  Also, you should remove him from any groups you control and of which he is a member.  Once you have blocked him, never NEVER send him anything..message, object, notecard...doing so will automatically unblock him.

ETA:  If by 'our' you mean that this stalker is also an owner, then you and your friend should move elsewhere and boot him from your group.

2toe Bigboots wrote:

If you consistantly ignore your stalker he will prolly get bored & give up .. eventually. But if the stalker is deranged & persistant .. thers prolly not much you can do besides make an alt he doesnt know about

Jeanne

2toe Bigboots wrote:

Surely we are missing part of the story. Most land owners are not just gonna kick you off if you're a paying customer and someone comes to them with a bunch of stories. What was he claiming you did exactly to warrant getting banned?

Banned? Good. Say thanks for the warning and move to another place. The sim owner can be his alt or friend, so moving is good here.

Besides of that drop all connections in groups, block, ban on new land and completely ignore the stalker.

If he draws others into his crap and that causes trouble - good again - that werent friends anyways.

If the stalker is really pathetic he will use alts. SL is a pretty safe place, so not much can happen. How vulnerable you are depends on you and how you are living SL.

JeanneAnne wrote:

2toe Bigboots wrote:

If you consistantly ignore your stalker he will prolly get bored & give up .. eventually.
But if the stalker is deranged & persistant
.. thers prolly not much you can do besides make an alt he doesnt know about

Jeanne

Yep...I had to resort to making another avatar. Sometimes it's your only choice :(

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Terms-of-Service-and-Community-Standards/ta-p/851573

sic 'em.

Hire a lawyer, take them to court, sue for damages.  Hell, if they've ever made any threats you feel approach RL you may eve be able to get 'em thrown in jail.  If you think that's too extreme then it's just SL drama and you don't want to get bogged down in something so petty.

Catherine Foulon wrote:

It's so easy to mute someone and forget him (just two mouseklicks away)..

but D R A M A !!  is sooo much better ;-)

I like to read on..

LOL Catherine .. no kiddin huh? Ppl say they h8 drama but ther addicted to it .. :cattongue: Ppl will take drama over boredom any day !!

Jeanne

If you have proof - chat logs, screen shots, etc. - you can AR him. That's pretty much all you can do, beyond muting and ignoring. Some people in SL thrive on drama, and you can't change them. With enough AR's, the person MAY get banned, but will probably come back with an alt anyway. I suggest, as others have, that you and your friend mute the stalker, move to new land, and ignore this guy's attempts at harrassment.

>>With enough AR's, the person MAY get banned, but will probably come back with an alt anyway.<<

So whats the point of filing ARs? Since LL fired 30% of their employees do they even have sufficient staff to read ARs? Or do they hire temps @ minimum wage to read them?

Jeanne

JeanneAnne wrote:

>>With enough AR's, the person MAY get banned, but will probably come back with an alt anyway.<<

So whats the point of filing ARs? Since LL fired 30% of their employees do they even have sufficient staff to read ARs? Or do they hire temps @ minimum wage to read them?

Jeanne

LL does not get involved in resident-to-resident disputes.

JeanneAnne wrote:

Jeanne

WE can read and mange them. YAY !  *winks*

Yanno, I've been here three years and, although not cool enough to attract stalkers, I've come to a few conclusions. 

If you mute someone and ban someone from your land and kick them from any groups that you have the power to and set said land to group only or some other restrictive setting that allows only the people you know and want there - it would be damned near impossible to be bothered by anyone you chose not to be bothered by ever again.

The whole, "But I did all that and he still shows up wherever I go" bit is often the common reply and again, too thin to stick. How could he FIND you to show up where you are and (2) how could you know what he was doing/saying if he were muted and derendered as you previously swore you had done?

The more you stir crap the worse it stinks. Put the frickin' spoon down already and move on. 

**You = you, collectively, a group, anyone

**He = the stalker, male or female -whichever applies

Harassment is against the ToS, and is an offense for which people can and should be reported. However, it can be difficult to tell "harassment" from a resident-to-resident dispute, so I imagine that's taken on a case-by-case basis, depending on the employee investigating the report. I think most "harassment" claims are probably ignored by LL, because they do often sound more like resident-to-resident disputes. True harassment can be hard to prove. It usually takes something pretty drastic to warrant a ban from the labs, and one resident allegedly harassing another resident usually doesn't qualify.

LL says they thoroughly investigate all abuse reports, but I have my doubts.

Well thank you for the post, the deal is this  he had a rep for the land estat bann me after he lied adn said i did some thing to steal the land group "that he was never in "  she was stupid and took his word for it. And thats just the most recent Ohh and i had to pretend afk but he watched my avi for 4hrs to see when i was no longer afk. This guy knows all the places i go and stuff. Its really creepy and sad. 

I wish I could AR him but that wont ever work. If i derender him "already muted" then its kinda hard to tell when hes chillen in the same sim trying to watch me and listen to convos.

Uhhhh ... that's the point. Out of sight, out of mind. Who cares if he's listening to your conversations? If it's public, then anyone can. No big deal.

If you want this person out of your life, then you have to remove all traces of him. The other (obvious) answer would be to find new places to hang out.

Aside from the answers already given, there isn't much more you can do. Were you hoping someone would offer to go down there and threaten to beat him up?

This is a violation of multiple aspects of the Second Life terms of service. The individual would be in violation of section 8 of the Terms of Service as well as sections 1, 2 and 6 of the Second Life community standards. More specifically sections 8.1 and 8.2.iii from the ToS. Shown below is quotes from the actual ToS and CS sections.

8. CONDUCT BY USERS OF SECOND LIFE

8.1 You agree to abide by certain rules of conduct, including the Community Standards and other rules prohibiting illegal and other practices that Linden Lab deems harmful.

You agree to read and comply with the Community Standards posted on the applicable areas of the Websites.

8.2 You will not post or transmit prohibited Content, including any Content that is illegal, harassing or violates any person's rights.

You agree that you will not:

(i) Post, display or transmit Content that violates any law, or the rights of any third party including without limitation Intellectual Property Rights;

(ii) Impersonate any person or entity without their consent, or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation, or if you are an adult, impersonate a minor for the purpose of interacting with a minor using the Service;

(iii) Stalk, harass, or engage in any sexual, suggestive, lewd, lascivious, or otherwise inappropriate conduct with minors on the Service;

(iv) Post, display or transmit any material, object or text that encourages, represents, or facilitates sexual "age play," i.e., using child-like avatars in a sexualized manner. You may review our full Age Play Policy here;

Incidents under sections (iii) and (iv) above are grounds for immediate termination. You understand and agree that we may report any and all such incidents -- and any and all of your corresponding personal information -- to any authorities we deem appropriate, whether or not it in and of itself violates the law of your (or any) jurisdiction.

(v) Post, display or transmit Content that is harmful, threatening or harassing, defamatory, libelous, false, inaccurate, misleading, or invades another person's privacy;

(vi) Post, display or transmit Content that is obscene, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;

(vii) Operate or profit from a "game of chance" In Second Life. For more information please see our Gambling Policy;

(viii) Operate or profit from a virtual "bank" In Second Life. For more information please see our Banking Policy; or

(ix) Post, display or transmit any Content or conduct or host any activity that is explicitly sexual, intensely violent or otherwise designated as Adult under our Maturity ratings, except as set forth in those ratings.

Any violation by you of the terms of this Section may result in immediate suspension or termination of your Accounts without any refund or other compensation.

XxStevexX Solo wrote:

This is a violation of multiple aspects of the Second Life terms of service. The individual would be in violation of 
 of the Terms of Service as well as sections 1, 2 and 6 of the Second Life community standards. More specifically sections 8.1 and 8.2.iii from the ToS. Shown below is quotes from the actual ToS and CS sections.

8. CONDUCT BY USERS OF SECOND LIFE

Well, thats the problem with stalkers, they are at a club or on a public sim and dont interact with you (since they are muted) So how you proove to someone that this is against the TOS? The paragraphs are worthless.

I don't see the point anyways. If I mute someone they can hear what I say in public chat and can see with who and where I am. Who cares? If they want to waste their time, it's not my problem. I will not waste my time to even think about them. Even this thread is a waste of time.

Just ignore and move on.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4373 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.