Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
lx42

Need input for research paper

Recommended Posts

Hi, I'm doing a bit of research on Second Life for a class and was hoping for some quick input.

What factors influence the creation of your avatar? In particular, when you create an avatar that closely resembles yourself, what characteristics do you transfer over and which ones do you revise? Or, if you create an avatar that strongly deviates from your "real" self, what qualities do you seek to emphasize and why?

I realize this is very personal information, but I would greatly appreciate any feedback! If you have any other information regarding why you chose to create your avatar as it is or your relationship with your avatar, please share!

Thanks so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been fascinated by this topic for the past decade! (Oh god I'm getting old)

My avatar reflects my base physical attributes like RL height and skinnyness, and my face is somewhat close. Beside that, I've based my avatar design more on my personality than my IRL body. One look at me and you can get an idea of what sort of a person you're dealing with.

I view SecondLife as a "mindscape" where our minds can run around free of real world limitations and expectations. The rules are different here. Your avatar appearance represents your personality as give us clues about your comfort level with the virtual: Those who are new or not comfortable tend to stick more with real world properties, where as those who are more comfortable tend to go for the fantastic and impossible.

It shows how imaginative you are, how repressed you can be, if you're more technical or artistic, etc'.

The biggest difference here is roleplayers: Those come here to play an artificial personality - a character who is very different from who they are in reality. So these would not be representative of their real world person.

Me, I just stick to my own personality and mental image of myself - which in this case, is a mischevious catgirl. :P

Free free to IM me if you want to chat some more about this stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After about a year of trolling SL with a newbie skin and shape, I decided to get serious and invest in a quality av that had many of the same physical characteristics as me, but with the ability to be customizable. So, as far as skin, shape, clothing and accessories, my av strongly resembles me in RL. The only changes I make is the different hair styles and colors.

My thought process was to create an av that I could identify myself with and be happy about, especially if I was going to be investing L$ on it. Turns out that the av I ended up creating strongly resembles me and how I see myself, so it's really an extension of who I am in RL.

 

Good luck on your research!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are way too late.  I used to delight in helping students with such projects.  Long since, you have become too numerous for me to accommodate.  Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Jennifer said.  We have at least one 'research' post per week, mainly from people who don't bother going in-world and finding-out anything about SL or its residents for themselves.

At least the information you're asking is stuff you couldn't find out independently.  The people who love to play dress-up tend to hang out in http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Your-Avatar/bd-p/YourAvatar so you may want to post this over there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


lx42 wrote:

Hi, I'm doing a bit of research on Second Life for a class and was hoping for some quick input.

What factors influence the creation of your avatar? In particular, when you create an avatar that closely resembles yourself, what characteristics do you transfer over and which ones do you revise? Or, if you create an avatar that strongly deviates from your "real" self, what qualities do you seek to emphasize and why?

I realize this is very personal information, but I would greatly appreciate any feedback! If you have any other information regarding why you chose to create your avatar as it is or your relationship with your avatar, please share!

Thanks so much!

I raely create avatars that look like me. I've done it, and I was tiptoeing to close to the uncanny valley for my comfort. Also, with all the possibilities of SL at hand, why choose to look like I already do? So I normally make avatars which are more of a 'realistic ideal'.

Often they are shapes and styles I find attractive in others (I have avatars of both genders, and some which aren't even human, or humanoid). So there are frail, slender androgynous avs (male and female); somewhat curvy female avs (still slim by RL standards, but I do tend to idealise); and muscular, but relatively lean, male avs. Very few extremes - no supersized boobs, giraffe legs, pipestem waists or huge heights. Most of my female avs are 5' 6" to a litlle over 6', male avs around 6' to 6' 6" (taller than average, but again, idealisation!). I can be a bit of a height & proportion Nazi, but only for shapes I wear or create - everyone else can please themselves. You'll most likely find me in the av you see on my forum badge... 5'10" or so, female, curvy, skin light-to-tan, blonde or red hair.

I've noticed I also tend to stay with my own ethnicity (white Anglo) when creating human avs. I sometimes use slightly Oriental (SE Asian) features to look a touch exotic, but rarely go further than that. So I have something of a reluctance to 'wear' black/person-of-colour/mixed race avatars. I can't quite place why, but it's certainly not because I have some twisted idea that I'm 'above' being another race.

I'd be happy to discuss this more if you'd like to contact me in-world. Just drop me a notecard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While sadly in real life we need to stay disguised while we are on Earth, we Martians do enjoy that in SL we can just be ourselves while we are protecting you from other aliens that want to take over your planet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


lx42 wrote:

Hi, I'm doing a bit of research on Second Life for a class and was hoping for some quick input.

What factors influence the creation of your avatar? In particular, when you create an avatar that closely resembles yourself, what characteristics do you transfer over and which ones do you revise? Or, if you create an avatar that strongly deviates from your "real" self, what qualities do you seek to emphasize and why?

I realize this is very personal information, but I would greatly appreciate any feedback! If you have any other information regarding why you chose to create your avatar as it is or your relationship with your avatar, please share!

Thanks so much!

My avatar is an idealized version of me. About the same height, same skin tone, probably  more physically fit looking (now that i've had my baby!), etc. Currently my boobs are a bit bigger since i'm nursing. One main difference is that her eyes are green & my RL eyes are brown. Guess when i was ltl i wished i had green eyes .. now i can have !! I usually wear a brunette or auburn hair .. as in rl .. but am sometimes blonde & freckled in SL. My prim nails are always perfect in SL .. in RL im more lazy about doing my nails LoL Ummm.. what else? Guess thatsa bout it !!

Jeanne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Perrie Juran wrote:

While sadly in real life we need to stay disguised while we are on Earth, we Martians do enjoy that in SL we can just be ourselves while we are protecting you from other aliens that want to take over your planet.

Don't trust this one, lx42. He has a space modulator and he's not afraid to use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Madelaine McMasters wrote:


Perrie Juran wrote:

While sadly in real life we need to stay disguised while we are on Earth, we Martians do enjoy that in SL we can just be ourselves while we are protecting you from other aliens that want to take over your planet.

Don't trust this one, lx42. He has a space modulator and he's not afraid to use it.

It can be very kinky modulating at the lower settings.  You should try it some time.   :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Perrie Juran wrote:


Madelaine McMasters wrote:


Perrie Juran wrote:

While sadly in real life we need to stay disguised while we are on Earth, we Martians do enjoy that in SL we can just be ourselves while we are protecting you from other aliens that want to take over your planet.

Don't trust this one, lx42. He has a space modulator and he's not afraid to use it.

It can be very kinky modulating at the lower settings.  You should try it some time.  
:D

Ooooh, so that's the Earth shattering Kaboom?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Venus Petrov wrote:

Thank you for the invitation to respond to your OP, but I will decline.  Apparently, so will Madelaine.

What's the point of announcing that you decline to respond? Why don't you simply not respond?

Jeanne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Perrie Juran wrote:


Madelaine McMasters wrote:


Perrie Juran wrote:

While sadly in real life we need to stay disguised while we are on Earth, we Martians do enjoy that in SL we can just be ourselves while we are protecting you from other aliens that want to take over your planet.

Don't trust this one, lx42. He has a space modulator and he's not afraid to use it.

It can be very kinky modulating at the lower settings.  You should try it some time.  
:D

I tried it and now my space is all kinked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


JeanneAnne wrote:


Venus Petrov wrote:

Thank you for the invitation to respond to your OP, but I will decline.  Apparently, so will Madelaine.

What's the point of announcing that you decline to respond? Why don't you simply not respond?

Jeanne

Because that is my response.  Forum patrol?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Venus Petrov wrote:


JeanneAnne wrote:


Venus Petrov wrote:

Thank you for the invitation to respond to your OP, but I will decline.  Apparently, so will Madelaine.

What's the point of announcing that you decline to respond? Why don't you simply not respond?

Jeanne

Because that is my response.  Forum patrol?

Oh .. ok .. i thot maybe you were trying to up your post count  .. to get a different colored icon .. or somethin .. Didnt know you were on forum patrol .. sorry ..

Jeanne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


JeanneAnne wrote:

Oh .. ok .. i thot maybe you were trying to up your post count  .. to get a different colored icon .. or somethin .. Didnt know you were on forum patrol .. sorry ..


It says somewhere in the blurb about forum ranks and roles or all the arguments about them that General Discussion posts don't count.  It's only accepted answers in the Answers section and participation in the creation forums and categories like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


PeterCanessa Oh wrote:


JeanneAnne wrote:

Oh .. ok .. i thot maybe you were trying to up your post count  .. to get a different colored icon .. or somethin .. Didnt know you were on forum patrol .. sorry ..


It says somewhere in the blurb about forum ranks and roles or all the arguments about them that General Discussion posts don't count.  It's only accepted answers in the Answers section and participation in the creation forums and categories like that.

 
 

>>Re: Does second life need to be governed?

Reply to JeanneAnne - view message

04-30-2012 01:50 AM

Jeanne, I am very disappointed.  You disdain sharing.  As Lady Capulet had it; do as thou wilt, for I have done with thee.<<

 

You don't stay very true to your word, do you Peter?

Jeanne

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not so churlish that I do not speak to people, it is just that I do not debate with people unless I respect their arguments.  Believe it or not I rather like you, which is why I was disappointed.  At least you're certainly nothing like Lucinda anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

I am not so churlish that I do not speak to people, it is just that I do not debate with people unless I respect their arguments.  Believe it or not I rather like you, which is why I was disappointed.  At least you're certainly nothing like Lucinda anyway.

I was looking forward to not being pestered by you.

Jeanne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

It would be worse than churlish to pester a lady.  I shall leave you to your ignorance.

I just got this mental image of JeaneAnne in a Victorian dress with all the frills and some how it just doesn't compute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...