where to get avatar mesh obj to import into blender?

Tenly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4347 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ive been reading that the old standards such as avatar.blend and the newer avastar dont match up when it comes to rigging and I know frm trying that you can no longer expert your own avatar even if, as I did, you made it from scratch.

So WHERE can  I get the most current avatar that I can upload into a tool like blender? Im not seeing it in the wiki and for that matter, even with regard to creating clothing in the normal way Im finding that the obj files I downloaded a year or so ago dont match up that when. in fact even when I painstakingly follow the lines Im forced to continually upload, tweak, upload, tweak and upload tweak to get things to match that just should match.

As a content creator, I shouldnt still be using chips files...comon SL give over the goods or someone please tell me where they are hiding!

tenly 

Tenly wrote:

Ive been reading that the old standards such as avatar.blend and the newer avastar dont match up when it comes to rigging ...

Can you give me a pointer where you found these informations ? Then i might be able to answer right at the sources of the rumour :)

... and I know frm trying that you can no longer expert your own avatar even if, as I did, you made it from scratch.

Yes, the exporting of your shape as .obj has been removed from phoenix and firestorm. However you still can export your shape as XML data. As far as i know there are currently 2 tools available which allow to import this XML data to blener:

Avastar works for blender 2.59 up to blender 2.62. The update for blender 2.63 is still in test phase and i hope to get it out today, but for sure it will be available tomorrow.

So WHERE can  I get the most current avatar that I can upload into a tool like blender? Im not seeing it in the wiki and for that matter, even with regard to creating clothing in the normal way

avatar.blend works if you add the 2 vertex groups mFootRight and mFootLeft to the the head, the upper body and to the lower body.

The avatar workbench works for sure from blender 2.58 up to blender 2.61 in conjunction with the SL Collada export addon (you need to scroll down to the bottom of the page. there you find a download link).

blender 2.62 comes with an almost working collada exporter. Note that you always have to export the mesh AND the armature. otherwise the exporter does not necessarily work as expected. Thats a known problem and it will be hopefully fixed soon.

Im finding that the obj files I downloaded a year or so ago dont match up that when. in fact even when I painstakingly follow the lines Im forced to continually upload, tweak, upload, tweak and upload tweak to get things to match that just should match.

Can you explain in more detail what you try to do and why you have to constantly upload and tweak ? We recently have detected a very serious issue within Avastar and also with avatar.blend and the avatar workbench regarding precision. For some reason the mesh attachments do not show up at exactly the locations where they should be located.

The problem shows up mostly for attachments on the head (hair wigs for example) But i am talking about PRECISION so the deviations from the expected location are still small (but annoying). Maybe that is your exact problem too ? We are chasing this issue since a couple of weeks now but have not yet found the cause of the problem. It could be another issue with the Blender Collada exporter again...

• Like 1

hi Gaia, I dont recall where I read might have been in the forums or something I was searching on the web the other day. for things not matching -- Im just working with the standard avatar UV patterns (chip and robyn woods) and finding that things dont seem to line up even when I follow the mathching marks exactly. so you upload your texture to SL see the match is off, go back to your file, adjust, go back to sl upload again...still off, go back tweak again...gets kinda costly and with the way that SL failes on upload 9 times out of ten Ive taken to creating in Osgrid instead...

so, was hoping mesh might be a better avenue...though sure seems like its not any easier going down that path just yet. 

Ashasekayi, I was using an older phoenix. sometimes the lower layer will ungrey and I can select it but then phoenix crashes. I can save from the appearance menu but not sure what Im saving there. when I saved it as obj photoshop said the file was too big to open. 

Im on a mac so maybe I need an even older viewer? not sure how old to try.

Ashasekayi Ra wrote:

Release 1185 is supposed to work. But, I use Windows not Mac.

I just recently exported my own shape using Phoenix version 1185 (in newer versions this functionality has been removed).

So I can confirm that it works all right - in Windows. I have no idea about the Mac version though.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4347 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.