Are Temp Textures Gone for Good?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3883 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Say it isn't so! I can't upload temp textures anymore. A friend of mine said it's been like this for awhile but I just noticed it with this server update. I can't seem to even  upload to local. I've tried 3 viewers. I'm going to go broke! It takes me a lot of temps to get everything perfect. How sad. Isn't there some grid where you can upload for free? I might have to make clothes on another grid and bring them into SL. Grrrrr. Grumble. Oh well. Go with the flow...or go... ;-) 

Just want it verified.

• Like 1

You can always just go to the beta grid. Just switch on the login screen from 'Agni' to 'Aditi'.

If you've never gone there before it is good to know that you will see a nice L$ balance there everytime you login, but its never real L$ on the beta grid so spend away.... uploads there are always free!

yay :catvery-happy:

I just logged in and uploaded temp textures in two different sims, which happened to have two different versions of the SL server.

I had no problem uploading the temporary textures.  I am  using FireStorm, I don't think they have ever had temporary textures with the standard SL viewer.

I use Singularity and Phoenix viewer and both have the Temporary file check box.  I do not like SL Viewer 2 so I do not use it. If Linden does not support it anymore then the other viewers will stop it. But Linden knows that the builders need it.  I have loaded many textures as temp until getting it right.

Linden Lab's "official" viewers have never supported temporary textures.  They expect you to go to the Aditi grid when you are doing trial uploads.  Firestorm and Phoenix handle temporary textures well, though.  I uploaded 3 or 4 times this morning with Firestorm and had no trouble at all..

• 1 year later...

The local might work for textures, but what about uploading sculpt maps? Logging out of Firestorm and into the hated SL viewer to get to the beta grid just to see if it's done right, then log back out so I can actually use a workable viewer to continue building is enough to make me want to give it up.

And saying temporary free uploads aren't workable with this server side baking sounds like a load of crap to me. It only works if you pay? Come on!

Wolfen Greggan wrote:

The local might work for textures, but what about uploading sculpt maps?

Sculpt map is a texture too. Local works for it the same way normal texture does.

In the edit window's "Object" tab you select the object type "Sculpted", then you click on the "Sculpt Texture" and in the "Pick: Texture" window you select "Local" and browse for the sculpt map from you disk. Voila!

[Edit]

I forgot to mention, cost is 0 L$.  :matte-motes-smile:

Wolfen Greggan wrote:

The local might work for textures, but what about uploading sculpt maps? Logging out of Firestorm and into the hated SL viewer to get to the beta grid just to see if it's done right, then log back out so I can actually use a workable viewer to continue building is enough to make me want to give it up.

And saying temporary free uploads aren't workable with this server side baking sounds like a load of crap to me. It only works if you pay? Come on!

Why in the name of Pete's blue bicycle do you log into the SL viewer to get to the beta grid? You can get there with Firestorm just fine - you may need to turn the grid selection option at login on in Preferences ("Advanceds" - "Log in to other grids") just like you apparently did with Viewer 3 becase it isn't the default configuration in either one. 

And the difference between temporary and conventional textures isn't just paying 4 cents - conventional textures are stored on the asset servers like they're SUPPOSED to be and temporary textures are piggybacking on the simulator servers - that's why they disappear with a sim restart.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, there is no box to tick to upload temporary textures - because temporary textures do not work any more in SL.

However you can use local textures instead. Does not cost anything.

Look here how to use local textures:

http://modemworld.wordpress.com/2012/05/31/local-textures-now-part-of-the-sl-viewer/

and

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Rolig_Loon/Local_Textures

PS.
Local textures are available on any recently updated viewers by now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3883 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.