Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Hetaera Romano

IP Replacement

Recommended Posts

I know that when I find something named IP Replacement in my inventory, it means that LL removed content that I did not have the right to posses.  In my case, that is always because I received it from someone else who didn't have rights to it, which I didn't know.  These are always freebies.

I am curious about three things.  How can I know what was replaced?  It's not important for the freebie that I have had replaced, but I am curious.  I also wonder about a situation where someone has sold multiple copies of something to legitimate buyers and then it gets stolen and multiple illegitimate copies sold.  In such a case, what does LL do?  How can LL take down just the copies that were stolen and leave the others alone?  The only way I can think of is through a detailed analysis of transaction records.

I presume the replacement occurs when LL receives a DMCA notification.  If they receive a counter-notification, will they restore the copy that was in my inventory?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

everything in your inventory sits on the asset server until it's rezzed in world..

i would imagine the items are removed from the asset server and replaced with something else in the asset server..

maybe it just goes after a certain id of somekind that pulls them all so they don't have to go into each and every persons inventory..just whoever held the item..then thye all get that ip replacement at the same time..

just a guess on that though..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you make a new folder for each freebie thing you are given, you probably won't know which items get replaced at all. I have had a few things disappear, always hair that someone gave me, and I never got any kind of notification on what was taken.

After a few times of this happening I realized that all these hairs people gave me for free couldn't possibly be legit, so I just deleted them all. Same with skins. I got a ton when I was a newb, but now that I know the stuff is stolen, I don't want it in my inventory.

I don't know about your other questions, sorry!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 years and 85k inventory items and not one is named ip replacement. I recommend you work a little harder on where you shop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Hetaera Romano wrote:

I am curious about three things.  How can I know what was replaced?  It's not important for the freebie that I have had replaced, but I am curious.  I also wonder about a situation where someone has sold multiple copies of something to legitimate buyers and then it gets stolen and multiple illegitimate copies sold.  In such a case, what does LL do?  How can LL take down just the copies that were stolen and leave the others alone?  The only way I can think of is through a detailed analysis of transaction records.

I presume the replacement occurs when LL receives a DMCA notification.  If they receive a counter-notification, will they restore the copy that was in my inventory?

each resource has a UUID. unique identity number

if a DMCA claim is upheld then linden will replace the resource with a IP_replacement placeholder

cant  say what linden do exactly. but linden dont seem to actual do anything until the time period for counter-filing is up. if is no counter-claim then they replace with placeholder. if is a counter-claim then they do nothing until they are advised by actual ip holder of legal outcome

is true that resources used in other products will be replaced with IP_replacement. can see this is quite a few 'freebie' AOs. some of the animations in them are replaced. can also see this some 'freebie' vendors with skins/clothes textures in them

pretty much the rule is: if you get a box or object that has even one IP_replacement in it then delete the whole box/object. is not worth the hassle to keep it

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ann Otoole wrote:

5 years and 85k inventory items and not one is named ip replacement. I recommend you work a little harder on where you shop.

 

I love advice like this.

It's so telling of the person that offered it, as well as just so darned helpful.

EDIT: I forgot to include said advice, now it's up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ann Otoole wrote:

5 years and 85k inventory items and not one is named ip replacement. I recommend you work a little harder on where you shop.

Thanks, Ann.  Can you be more specific?  How should I "work harder?"  Should all residents forego all freebies?  If not, what are you recommending?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea there really isn't much you can do about it.

If someone gives you a folder of fabulous "freebie" hair or skin, you might want to check it out. Try to avoid the freebie warehouses- Mostly crap and what is good is stolen. Read Fabfree and Freestyle blogs. Stores are screened to make sure they don't have stolen or BIAB garbage so the freebies you find there are generally safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is good info, but I NEVER received an email (the email I registered with is working and valid) or a notecard explaining the replacement. Maybe this is something new since I haven't found an IPreplacement item in ages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ran recently came across some IP-replaced dances in my inventory that I would love to replace from whoever the valid merchant it, too bad I have no idea what the dances were. I don't think I had used them in over a year so I have no clue what's missing. And Ann, snarky comment is snarky, as a merchant myself I'm VERY careful how I shop and have NEVER knowingly purchased a ripped copy of anything.  But yet I end up with IP replacement items every once in awhile. Eventually it happens to everyone, everyone who ever purchases anything or picks up freebies or accepts gifts from friends, that is.

It might be nice if LL told us what exactly they were replacing in our inventories so we could try to purchase legit copies from the original merchant. I once picked up a box of freebies on a hunt and it turned out to be full of ripped hair. The botter had left the original names of the styles on the ripped hair.  I ended up purchasing a couple of the styles in the box from the original merchants, and then deleted the ripped hair - - my point is that  sometimes ripped content turns into legit purchases in a round-about way. Not encouraging ripping or anything like that, but occasionally there is a silver lining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Shelby Silverspar wrote:

It might be nice if LL told us what exactly they were replacing in our inventories so we could try to purchase legit copies from the original merchant.

ABSOLUTELY!

I do know that there was a box full of dances going around full perm of one merchants dances.

There was a thread not to long ago which I can't dig out now where they had DCMA'd their own full perm group gift from a few years back.  After their mistake was realized they made the dance available for free again but with no copy perms.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Perrie Juran wrote:


Shelby Silverspar wrote:

It might be nice if LL told us what exactly they were replacing in our inventories so we could try to purchase legit copies from the original merchant.

ABSOLUTELY
!

I do know that there was a box full of dances going around full perm of one merchants dances.

There was a thread not to long ago which I can't dig out now where they had DCMA'd their own full perm group gift from a few years back.  After their mistake was realized they made the dance available for free again but with no copy perms.

 

 

i remember that thread  hehehe..i remember being pretty pissed when i seen that .all before really looking in my inventory..i was already having a bad day.. then saw that thread and was like..oh i am so not ready to see this gone from my inventory lol..

 

i ended up looking anyways and found out they never did do it to the group gift ones..only the ones that were boxed..

what probably happened is that they copybotted  dances and made a mistake of copybotting the already full perm dances as well rather than just dropping them into the box as is..

because if you had gotten them from the group as i did..you didn't lose the dances..it was only the people that had gotten them from the boxed version that lost them..

most of the full perm dances were given out to the group in 2007..where the complaint was dances given away for free in 2008..which confused me because i already had them from the group long before 2008 hehehe

mine were never ipchanged and still have the originals that are full perm..so the boxed version had to be what they ended up actually DCMA'ing rather than the group gift that had to of been under a different UUID..

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't buy or accept from people who have no established business presence. Yes suxors for people getting started but SL is pirate bay. Buy at your own risk.

Life in the big city. get the f over it. delete IP Replacements. Don't worry about them.

And dance animations are the most likely to be replaced. Go shop at Akeyo or Henmations. Pay the up front price. Or have none.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Hetaera Romano wrote:


Ann Otoole wrote:

5 years and 85k inventory items and not one is named ip replacement. I recommend you work a little harder on where you shop.

Thanks, Ann.  Can you be more specific?  How should I "work harder?"  Should all residents forego all freebies?  If not, what are you recommending?

the answer is easy.

i remommend, if you want dances or an AO, you go to a shop (AKEYO or VISTA for example) and buy them ;-)

-edit-

and i am very amzed that ppl complain about the IP-replacement instead of be thankful, LL do not cancel their account.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

<<and i am very amzed that ppl complain about the IP-replacement instead of be thankful, LL do not cancel their account>>

Seriously?

I think LL's current policy on IP replaced items is perfectly reasonable. They replace and do not penalize users who have the occasional offending item. It can happen to anyone, through no fault of their own. They boot people who repeatedly have large amounts of illegal items.

Cancelling the accounts of anyone who has any illegal item would be unreasonable. I have no idea why anyone would expect that to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Rosemaery Lorefield wrote:

<<
and i am very amzed that ppl complain about the IP-replacement instead of be thankful, LL do not cancel their account>>

Seriously?

I think LL's current policy on IP replaced items is perfectly reasonable. They replace and do not penalize users who have the occasional offending item. It can happen to anyone, through no fault of their own. They boot people who repeatedly have large amounts of illegal items.

Cancelling the accounts of anyone who has any illegal item would be unreasonable. I have no idea why anyone would expect that to happen.

i think a lot has to do with the email they get from LL.

i never got one myself but i seen some that people posted..but i guess them saying if they are not found to have anything to do with the offense or however they word it ..is enough to make someone nervous..even though they may have been given or bought an item under investigation..

just getting an email like that i'm sure is scarey to some people that they have something that is involved in an investigation..a lot of people don't that it is only the thief that will get into trouble..

so they come here a lot of times and ask if they have anything to worry about..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Rosemaery Lorefield wrote:

Oh right, I am sure it is a scary email. I have ended up with IP replaced items, but no email somehow! 

 

there may not have been a DCMA going on..those things could have been a glitch on permissions or something..then the merchant ask for it to be taken out so they can put out a new unglitched permission version..

just guessing on that  though..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ceka Cianci wrote:


Rosemaery Lorefield wrote:

<<
and i am very amzed that ppl complain about the IP-replacement instead of be thankful, LL do not cancel their account>>

Seriously?

I think LL's current policy on IP replaced items is perfectly reasonable. They replace and do not penalize users who have the occasional offending item. It can happen to anyone, through no fault of their own. They boot people who repeatedly have large amounts of illegal items.

Cancelling the accounts of anyone who has any illegal item would be unreasonable. I have no idea why anyone would expect that to happen.

i think a lot has to do with the email they get from LL.

i never got one myself but i seen some that people posted..but i guess them saying if they are not found to have anything to do with the offense or however they word it ..is enough to make someone nervous..even though they may have been given or bought an item under investigation..

just getting an email like that i'm sure is scarey to some people that they have something that is involved in an investigation..a lot of people don't that it is only the thief that will get into trouble..

so they come here a lot of times and ask if they have anything to worry about..

Here is the E Mail text:

Hi Perrie Juran,

We are writing to let you know that we removed some content you had in Second Life under our Intellectual Property Policy. For a list of the specific content we removed, please see the "IP Complaint Details" below at the bottom of this email.

When we receive an intellectual property complaint, we investigate it and look for copies of the content identified in the complaint. Our investigation found that you had some of this content. We replaced the content with generic placeholder item(s), as described in our FAQs on our Intellectual Property Complaint Process.

If you weren't aware of an intellectual property issue, don't panic or take it personally! Just take steps to avoid content that may have intellectual property issues. Here are some tips to protect yourself and keep your inworld shopping safe and fun.

Many thanks for your interest in Second Life.

-- The IP Team at Linden Lab


IP COMPLAINT DETAILS

Content Removed:

  • Item: Bodypart named "Vivian Pale Magenta skin" Location: Inventory of Perrie Juran

*If animations were removed, the replacement animation may be in your HUD or animation override (AO).

 

The skin was one of several "freebies" I had for helping out new Ava's.  Hopefully I hadn't given out too many copies of it.   Interesting to note, you DO get told what has been removed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Perrie Juran wrote:

The skin was one of several "freebies" I had for helping out new Ava's.  Hopefully I hadn't given out too many copies of it.   Interesting to note, you DO get told what has been removed.


 

LIES!!  Naughty, naughty Martian, stop stealing human girls' skins.  That's why LL keeps taking them away from you.

(This is meant to be a joke, in case anyone without a sense of humour - or skin - was about to comment)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Rosemaery Lorefield wrote:

Wow. That's totally NOT scary lol.

to someone that may not know any better it can be..

there were people that came to the forums worried  about it..maybe english wasn't their best language or something..but they were worried about if tey could be in trouble..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...