Alt key in Ubuntu 12.04 Unity window manager

Sharven Raabe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4367 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am normally using Windows 7 on my notebook computer, but having installed the latest LTS version of Ubuntu, mostly for work, I wanted to try Second Life again; if only to see whether ATI's OpenGL support truly works.

My problem is that the alt key doesn't properly work. The mouse curser changes in SL but I can't use it for camera control. The SL Q&A in the viewer suggest to modify the window manager's behavior to move functions on the alt key to another key, but I can't find any setting that is bound to the alt key alone. Even though it does have an effect - holding it causes the menu to be displayed in the title bar*, tapping it causes a search window to appear.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to use SL with Unity?

* Unity behaves like Mac OS X rather than Windows, having a single top title bar which is at the same time system bar and only active for the currently selected application - a behavior I find better than the typical Windows behavior to give each application an individual menu within the application Window itself

Unfortunately, no. This is why opened a bug in the JIRA about this. It's not just Unity that has this problem, either. LXDE has the same problem with SL and doesn't appear to have a way to solve the alt key collision from that end either.

1. Install Compbiz Configuration Settings Manager.

( sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager )

2. Under the Desktop Section, click the Ubuntu Unity Plugin.

3. Disable the ALT key to show the HUD (It's the very first setting.) - You can set this to one of the other three key options if you'd like.

That should take care of the problem until Canonical or Linden Lab breaks it again.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4367 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.