FIRESTORM: CrashStorm Viewer.

PerigosaTigresa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am so tired of logging in and logging in and logging in , over and over again, everytime after 2 minutes, i canno't play second life anymore, all the views crash after 2 minutes, and no, its not my computer, i have the latest Nvidia Card, etc.

I have a good internet connection, so i don't know what is is, and i really need help.

That's up to you, of course. Take a few deep breaths and walk away for a while if you need to. Everyone has a bad SL day every now and then, be it crashing constantly, an inability to teleport, bake fails, inventory loss, etc. Troubleshoot your internet connection; what's fine for normal computing is NOT necessarily fine for SL. Check you ping and packet loss for a stable connection. If you're on wireless, try plugging in to a wired connection.

You do realize that roubleshooting a problem without the correct information given on a *forum* will be very hard. Why dont you join the Phoenix/Firestorm support group and ask for help there? The chat is staffed nearly 24/7 with people that deal with this kind of problems all day long.

If you cant stay on long enough for a support session with them, i would suggest jumping on the official viewer or one that works and explaining the situation to them that way.

The condescending attitude is unnecessary, and please, do not call me "Honey." I am not your "honey."

Your original post said that you have a high quality graphics card and you think the viewer is causing you to crash. That's it. It did not say you have an immense knowledge of computers, or an extremely high quality PC, so you can expect people to be confused. Also, I doubt anyone knows EVERYTHING about computers.

Have you checked with the Phoenix/Firestorm group inworld? Have you looked on the Phoenix/Firestorm JIRA? Have you checked the Phoenix/Firestorm wiki?

Since you "know" this is a viewer issue, have you tried other viewers? Here's a list of approved third party viewers.

The ruder you are to those trying to help you, the less inclined we will be to attempt to help you further, now or in the future. I'm the first to admit, my knowledge of computers is quite limited. I suggested some of the most common issues, based on the information available to me in your original post. Since you are "sure" those things are not the problem, please provide more details, or ask the Firestorm team.

it could be the cache.

the world and your inventory loads everytime you log in, if there are some corrupted files on your cache, it may crash and not replace the new, so i recommend clearing your cache, using the interface or manually deleting the cache folders and they will be recreated when you log in.

to do it in the interface press ctrl+p to bring the preferences window, go to Network & Cache, then press the Clear Cache button and restart.

if that doesnt work, you can press the button Open and you can go to the folder and delete it manually.

I used to have this problem constantly and then I switched to the official SL viewer and my problems are gone. Firestorm was once a good viewer but it is filled with so many silly toys and gizmos that it is bloated and crashes and lags. Once I switched back to the official viewer I have more time to play on SL without having to spend hours reading blogs, jiras and help posts.

Go back to basics and have fun again!

PerigosaTigresa wrote:

... all the views crash after 2 minutes, and no, its not my computer, i have the latest Nvidia Card, etc.

What else you have except "the latest NVidia card, etc.? And how exactly do you "know" that it's not your computer causing the viewer crashing? When asking for help in this kind of matter it would help a lot if you told more about your hardware and viewer version. Like this, my system is:

Firestorm 4.0.1 (27000) Mar 19 2012 16:21:21 (Firestorm-Release)

CPU: Intel® Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (3411.15 MHz)

Memory: 8169 MB

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCI/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0012.8562

OpenGL Version: 4.2.0

Crashes are almost non-existent, frame rates are high with high graphics settings. The same applies to any other viewer what I have tried, not only this Firestorm 4.0.1

There must be something in your hardware or drivers or settings what the viewer does not "like". As suggested earlier here, try some of the other viewers too. You might find a good one which works well on your system. Sometimes for some mysterious reason even a high end computer can have problems with some viewers.

Here's an interesting question: Do you have Optimus Technology in your computer?

If you do... sorry to say that SL most likely isn't seeing your Nvidia card. I found this out the hard way. On my computer I've a very good Nvidia card, and a crummy Intel chip. It's relatively new technology (less than 2 years old, afaik) so SL isn't coded to recognise that you've two chips. No matter what viewer I'm on, I only get low graphics as I can only use the Intel chip.

As someone else said, corrupted cache is a possibility, especially if you've tried more than one viewer without doing clean installs.

Also, your computer can run that Crysis game? Great.. That doesn't mean it'll run everything at top notch specs. I've a good laptop. It plays a lot of things really well, but no way is it going to play everything perfectly..nor should it be expected to.

If you want someone to try and figure out if it IS your computer, why not toss up the very top part of your dxdiag file?

And one last thing.. have you made sure your graphics drivers are up to date? I know quite a bit about computers, been using them since I was old enough to push a button... and yet, it still took me a full day to cop on to the fact that a graphics driver update was the reason a game wasn't working for me, even though everything else was fine. Sometimes, what ends up being an obvious solution is one you end up unintentionally overlooking *shrugs*

• 3 months later...

It is a sad fact that some computers cannot run the more complex viewers, such as Firestorm, or the Second Life Official Viewer 3, or mesh-enabled ones.

I know from a previous thread that you are on Windows Vista (so am I), but do you have any more details to offer us regarding your system specifications, including type of graphics card you have installed.

You could've started a new thread rather than necro-ing a 4-month old thread...

Though yes firestorm is extremely glitchy. I have to use the de-ruth kit hourly, because very often an alpha, tattoo or clothing layer will not rez, avatar will randomly sink into ground with a messed up z-offset, or mesh will fail to rez.

• 5 months later...

Got simillar experience, and the inept performance of Firestorm on voice and multimedia (majaor difficulties viewing movies or losing sound). The viewers from them have never been very coherent in quality.

- Emerald : banned from sl as it was used for a DOS (Denial of Service attack)

- Phoenix : very good

- Firestorm : laggy, crashy, mutimedia not working well, **bleep**ty voice

Someone told me that in the people that developed Firestorn there were aslo teenagers. Sorry but I can't trust them.

GillianBlackmist wrote:

Got simillar experience, and the inept performance of Firestorm on voice and multimedia (majaor difficulties viewing movies or losing sound). The viewers from them have never been very coherent in quality.

- Emerald : banned from sl as it was used for a DOS (Denial of Service attack)

- Phoenix : very good

- Firestorm : laggy, crashy, mutimedia not working well, **bleep**ty voice

Someone told me that in the people that developed Firestorn there were aslo teenagers. Sorry but I can't trust them.

So, essentially you are necroing a post to do what the OP did.. slam the number one viewer. Do you work for LL by chance?

Emerald was gone 2 years ago.

Phoenix, no longer supported by The Devs.

Firestorm, the number one used viewer as stated by LL. And no they are not teenagers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.