Has anyone heard of this supposed scam?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I got this by an unreliable source who is spamming a group of mine.  I have briefly searched to find more information on this, but haven't found any yet. The following was spamed to my group

• camm Alert
    Saturday,28 Apr 2012 15:41:19 GMT

hey guys just a quick heads up if you get a gift card from Rxxxxxxxe or Qxxxxxxxxxxx do not attach please its not legit and they will take your money. ?&? and now Axxxxxxd has been effected. Im sure there will be more stores as well pass this around please! (edited due to my faux pas) (my apologies to all)

Can anyone tell me if this is a legit threat or just hype? 

Thank you for your help

Tiana

Nothing can take your money just by being attached, it has to ask permission to take money from you.

The 'grant debit permission' window that pops-up LOOKS big and different to normal menus and pop-ups so you don't confuse it.

If you do grant permission for something to take money from you then as long as it is in-world (rezzed or worn) it can continue to take money from you.

So, while it may or may not be a good idea to wear these things they can't take your money.

And don't grant debit permission to anything at all without knowing exactly why.

I have heard of the gift card scam, and one of those names has been associated with it. I have no first hand knowledge of it, and may be passing on heresay. Apparently, the avatar has been contacting customers in shops and selling fake gift cards.

But if anyone contacts you in a store with a 'good deal', who is not the store owner, you can just about bet they are scamming.

I'm sure someone will hop in and tell you to remove the avatar names from your post. Sorry, but that's forum rules.

Thank you all

It is like I messaged my group, there is no need to panic.  This is like the email tracking hoax, it gets people all up in arms over something that anyone with half a brain would realize is a Hoax.  The power of this is getting people to lag and chat about something that is stupid and feeding into their egos.. See I got all these people scared.   

you would think somone who has been in SL more that 6 months would realize this is just more the same and not feed into stupidity.  But alas, even my group has members that get alot of exercise by leaping onto a bandwaggon without checking facts first. 

peace and wellness to all

Tiana...I have had the message through a few groups I'm in...I think we all need to be aware of a few things to help us be safe, like never giving debit permissions to strange objects. It's good to get that sort of info out there, and if we all were made to feel bad for talking about such issues, the scammers would have a field day.

But you make a good point. During the time I've been in SL, I swear I've seen these scam alerts go around dozens of times. They infect group chat and notices (and forums, lol), just like viral emails whizz all over the internet. This one is a little different. I wonder if some start because someone has it in for somebody else, because I've never actually met anyone who's ever had all their lindens stolen by anything like this.

I agree, I have never met anyone who have had all their Lindens stolen. Its always been a friend of a friend or "I know someone who had...."

More effort is spent on the panic that ensues.  Its not like we are computer inept.  Most of us are very computer savvy.  All I have asked of people in my groups are to verfiy facts.  Not rely on hearsay.  The excuse I heard it from a friend just seems lazy to me when its easy to verify.  My point has always been, before you spam any group, make sure its real.  I check out here and the other fourms making sure things are real before i send alerts, while providing guidence for those who need it.  I guess I expect others to practice due dillegence is all.

I know its silly but we all have our pet peeves.

Peace and Serenity

Tiana Fiertze wrote:

Thank you all

you would think somone who has been in SL more that 6 months would realize this is just more the same and not feed into stupidity.  But alas, even my group has members that get alot of exercise by leaping onto a bandwaggon without checking facts first. 

peace and wellness to all

Really, you would think that any one who was smart enough to get In World would also be smart enough not to fall for Scams.

But some times this forum really makes me wonder.  ;)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.