How to apply drop shadows in Gimp

Treycee Melody

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am a Gimp user and am trying to apply a drop shadow on am image with a background (such as a wall).  I want to keep the background image.  How do I apply a drop shadow to the "person" to appear more natural?  I have searched and searched the internet for tutorials and most everything takes away the background image.  Please help!  I would like detailed instructions or a video tutorial that I can use.  

Thanks,

Treycee Melody 

4 answers to this question

You have to use layers.  For example, take a background image and then add text.  That text will be in its own layer.  Now apply the Drop shadow to the text layer and you will have shadowed text on your background.  I suspect your problem is that you are taking snapshots in SL and then trying to spruce up the image in Gimp.  Unfortunately, your snapshot is a single background layer as far as Gimp is concerned and the Drop shadow tool will only apply itself to the edges.    You need to shoot your background and your model as separate images and then combined them in order to do what you describe.

--Cinn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.