Anyone have SL experience with MSI laptops?

Greenie Emerald

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4355 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Looking to replace an old clunker laptop and the specs on MSI gaming notebooks look pretty good for the price, but I'm not familiar with the brand's reliability record.

Edited to add: to the answers below, since I can no longer find a means of replying to my own thread: I already have a desktop which is my main SL machine, but I also need a new laptop. I'm familiar with the limitations, but I'm looking for something that will do a reasonable job at a reasonable price. The MSI machines I am looking at do not have MSI graphics but good quality discrete nVidia cards (eg GTX670).

2 answers to this question

If you are looking for reliability you should avoid laptops if possible.  Laptops generally sacrifice everything they can to be small(ish) so are generally just not as robust as desktops.  Secondly, when anything does go wrong with a laptop it tends to be a major and expensive job to fix it, whereas desktops are about as complicated as Lego (hehe, very complicated Lego, that is).  The same goes for upgrades for the same reason.  Of course, if you need a laptop then you need a laptop so the above is irrelvant.  Sorry, I have no experience with MSI.

• Like 2

I, too, have no experience with MSI laptops (no experience with laptops at all, in fact).  But I have a little experience with MSI graphics cards and I've read some reviews on the MSI motherboards.  Both hardware devices seem to be very reliable (I know the video cards are from direct experience).  Judging by that, alone, I'd say you can trust the brand.  But for the performance f\or neither are known to be top of the line.  Good, but there's better on the market.

That's probably why you are seeing a good deal for the money.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4355 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.