Nose sits in Crater in face... Huh?

Domitan Redenblack

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4138 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have my own shape for a long time, but suddenly my nose sits in a crater in my face!

I have tried about 10 others shapes, many from Linden Library, and about 1/2 of those show the nose pushed back into the face, forming a crater around the nose.

Often the nostrils are not visible, the nose is pushed back so far.

Any ideas what's going on?

ty

Can you upload a photo to show us please? This sounds most odd.

You're not wearing a crusher or something? (I find that a silly suggestion - apologies - you are not noob)

Edited to add:

Also, test how your avatar looks under different lighting.  It may not be looking as bad as you believe it to be.

Well now, that just looks .... painful!  And I can't say that I have seen anything like that before, except for when someone has been wearing a crusher and the avatar hasn't quite gone back to normal afterwards.

Have you tried doing a 'character test'?  

I've seen that many times before. If you think that's weird then don't look at your shoulder blades. You can try setting the nose tip from pointing down to pointing up, make your upper cheeks less puffy and making your nose larger. For some reason, SL men have to have large noses.

I'd also recommend turning up all your light and shadow settings if you can. The basic lights tend to highlight all the flaws.

Domitan Redenblack wrote:

I have my own shape for a long time, but suddenly my nose sits in a crater in my face!

I have tried about 10 others shapes, many from Linden Library, and about 1/2 of those show the nose pushed back into the face, forming a crater around the nose.

Often the nostrils are not visible, the nose is pushed back so far.

Any ideas what's going on?

ty

Have you worn any mesh clothing lately? I've heard that some people have had strange things going on with their eyes after wearing certain mesh items; the nose may be similarly effected.

How do others see you?  Have a friend take a close up snap and see if it looks the same.

Even though I have them in different folders, I find that when ever I go from using Phoenix to Firestorm It seems to mess me up a little, but is always fixed by simply changing outfits.

If others are seeing you normal it could indicate that you are needing to do a complete clean install.

Other than that I'm stuck on this.

Perrie Juran wrote: How do others see you?

Exactly the same. When I use LL "male shape" etc, they sometimes look good, sometimes not. But no matter what, others see me the same way I see myself.

If I pick a new shape, does the system keep the "adjust appearance" parameters of the old shape?

If you've saved a copy of that shape, yes.

Are you by any chance using mesh eyes?  This is the closest JIRA I can find to your issue.  There is a comment in there about resetting Bump Mapping.  Just taking a wild guess here.  https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/MAINT-681

My only other idea is for you to do test avatar and a clean install AFTER you are in test Ava.  The rebuild from there.

TEST RESULTS:

1. Before Clean Install (A) Me, (B) Male Character Test

(A) Me before

MyShape_beforeClean.png

(B) Male Char Test, before clean install

MaleTest_beforeClean.png

2. Jump to Sandbox (could not find any place named Furball)

(A) Male Chat Test AFTER clean install

MaleTest_afterClean.png

(B) Me After Clean Install, Sandbox

MyShape_afterClean.png

Long and Short: No difference that I can see. The Male Test Character has some crater distortiion around the nose as well, as far as I can see.

I will look for a Mod Shape which does Not have crater-nose, and then try to mod it to look like "myself" again...

I have a whole shop full of free modifyable shapes. You could've saved a little money there.

The male nose in the male mesh is ugggglyyyy. It is very hard to make an attractive male face that doesn't look the same as all other males in Second Life. Unless you use the female mesh, which I don't do.

The skin looks different in some of your pix. The skin shading around the nose can make a big difference. Some of your pix don't have any nostrils. Maybe it is a bad skin?

Clarissa Lowell wrote:

I have a whole shop full of free modifyable shapes. You could've saved a little money there.

The male nose in the male mesh is ugggglyyyy. It is very hard to make an attractive male face that doesn't look the same as all other males in Second Life. Unless you use the female mesh, which I don't do.

The skin looks different in some of your pix. The skin shading around the nose can make a big difference. Some of your pix don't have any nostrils. Maybe it is a bad skin?

The nostrils are there, just pushed back inside the face for some reason. I think its because I want a normal sized nose, not a Linden Labs super honker.

The shapes I bought have "normal noses" which are twice the size of RL noses. The body mesh that LL use for men has serious flaws, just like the LL female body has breasts that hang from the neck rather than straight down from the shoulders, ugh.

And yes, the skin does make a difference. I have tried Allesandra, Ispachi, Redgrave, Emperor, Laqroki, Jordan Skins, Belleza, etc - All have the same problem around the nose. 

Emelia Redgrave thought it might be a viewer problem, but my two (Phoenix and Firestorm) both show this trouble, and others say I look the same to them.

Nose tip angle seems to be the culprit, mostly.

If you do a piggy-nose, then the crater mostly disappears.

Northern European noses seem to be off-limits at Linden Labs !

This is one of the reasons we need Avatar 2.0 but that is a side issue.

Your Avatar shape is made up of triangles as you probably know.  When you edit your shape what you are doing is moving and or changing the size of the triangles.  The triangles around the one that you are moving have to adjust to accommodate this. If you've ever used a warp feature in a photo editing picture you'd see that getting this right is not always as easy as it sounds without another part of the image looking distorted.

There are 77 adjustment points in your shape control.  54 of them are for your head/face.  So getting your nose right may be more challenging then what you might think.  There will of course be limits to how much you can do.   http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Appearance

Then add to it your skin.  As you change your shape you 'stretch' the skin textures.

I'm not trying to make it sound impossible.  Just that it can take some practice and work to learn all the foibles of the adjustments.

ETA.....This is one of the reasons why your so called better skins and shapes can and do cost more.  It really is an art form to learn and to do.

Perrie Juran wrote: Just that it can take some practice and work to learn all the foibles of the adjustments.

Yes, i am aware of this, but if I don't want Pinnochio or Piglet, then the tip of my nose must not point up. And when it points down, it pivots on a centerline which makes the nostrils crater into the face. Ugh.

I do not see any solution for this via the Viewer LL Appearance Editting Controls. If there is another way to edit my face, I would be happy to try it out.

Cheers

Is this issue not making you go around staring at everyone else's noses?  If I could log in, I would come and inspect yours and have you test some shapes with your preferred skin. You look absolutely fine in your profile photo here, and you must be so very frustrated by this.

gentlemen.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4138 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.