Are there any quality standards for creation and selling in SL?

Magnolia Ashbourne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am becoming very cautious about buying anything in SL these days. I am tired of textures that don't match up, big blobs on my skin where an outfit wasn't created with care, clothing where the top of a formal gown is one color (white) and the skirt is a different color (white). Not to mention things that just don't work as advertised. In the past I have contacted the creator, sendng screenshots of the problems. About 15% of these notes have been responded to by gracious designers who have been very fair in compensating me for the bad product. The other 85% just ignore it and continue to sell the same poor product. I could go on and on, I just wonder if there is a Better Business Bureau where these kinds of poor workmanship (most of it is just carelessness) can be reported and documented.  Or maybe a SL 'Angie's List', where an unsuspecting customer can check out reviews for various businesses. 

4 answers to this question

Sadly, no.  Also, many people who sell in world or on Marketplace don't do a good job of photographing or describing their products either, so it's hard to know what's you're buying.  One of the big draws of SL is that anyone can be a creator and a merchant.  It's a wonderful environment for people to explore their creative talents and dabble in business.  The down side is that amateurs aren't necessarily very good at what they love doing.  I console myself with the reminder that things are incredibly cheap in SL, so a disappointing purchase won't put me in the poor house.  Also, not all amateurs are subpar, and many of us improve with practice.  Stick with designers that you like, but don't stop exploring for new talent.  It's sort of like bobbing for apples .... every once in a while, you sink your teeth into a really good one.

There is not.

There have been attempts to create "white lists" or even "black lists" of content creators.  All such attempts have failed, because they get gamed.

The different colors on tops (a clothing layer) and skirts (a prim attachment) is almost inevitable, and is very often not the designer's fault.  Attachments and avatar layers (both skin and clothes) are affected differently by the light in SL.  This is why it's so hard to match your prim feet to your legs.  You get a good match, then the light changes and it's off again.

I saw a post from someone looking to make a regulating agency at some point... The replies however quickly shot down the idea saying that it had been tried before and it never ever works... I remember they had good arguments and really wish I could remember the link so I could share it... My advice, if you are going to make a big purchase... IM the creator... if they don't reply that tells you what their customer support is like right there. Whle the amature/smaller opperations in sl may not have the same reputation as the big giants like Hippo (just asan example), I have found that they tend to be much more accomodating should you need assistance, and even willing to customize your product for you if you really need it and are willing to pay them for the work.

Another tip, read both their item's comments and comments on their profile

If they are a scammer they will almost certainly have negative comments. Keep in mind though, that it is easy to get bad comments, but hard to get good comments, so just cause a product has no comments doesn't mean that it isn't good. the ones with no comments are where the hidden gems are found.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.