Sign in to follow this  
Sera Lok

Marketplace Listings Lose Relevance after Editing - Bug or on Purpose?

I'm wondering if there is a 'good' reason why marketplace listings lose their relevance after editing them, and if people have confirmed that editing anything in a listing causes a loss in relevance. i.e., what if you just change related items, or the SLURL?  Does ANY change in the listing affect relevance or are there certain fields that trigger the loss?

It has been pointed out before that people shouldn't be penalized for updating/upgrading products, yet this is what seems to be happening. 

So... is this just another unfortunate/unfair problem that we're stuck with, and if so, what is the reasoning?  Would love to hear from a Linden on this to clarify what is happening here.

Sera Lok wrote:

It has been pointed out before that people shouldn't be penalized for updating/upgrading products, yet this is what seems to be happening. 

Especially when the reason that people are editing them is due to an LL created bug.

Agreed, and what's all this about the review stars disappearing after editing?  I see it on a ton of items, it will show stars then number of reviews, but after editing it shows just the number of reviews until you click to go in to look at the listing, why? Is it a bug or meant to be that way? It isn't new, that has been happening for a long time.

I think this has to do with the web crawler they are using for thier listings. Since you changed things which the crawler uses to determine it's relvancy, it takes a while for it to move back in the list. Thats why I rarely change a listing once I post it

In principle, it might be a good idea in that it can slow down merchants running bait-and-switch after getting good reviews and rankings.

OTOH, as has been said here, it's not really fair for LL to bork somone's listing and then derank them just for getting fixed.