How do some avatars become famous?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2866 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Perhaps I should clarify. I didn't really mean famous in real life, I more-so meant how someone becomes famous within their community within SL and sometimes their community outside SL. I was tired when I posted this topic so I didn't explain as well as I should have. For example, if you're a furry you've probably heard of Artica Sparkle. She's a good example of someone who's well known within their SL community and famous among various furry sites. If you're into anime avatars you've probably heard of Utilizator or Gantz Nishi (I already know how they got well known among their community, but still. Examples.)

The problem is I have no idea how some of them got well known (Artica for example, I don't think she's a major content creator, sim owner, etc.) and I'd like to avoid whatever people like that have done to become well known. My best guess for Artica is she's visually or sexually appealing in some way. I know there's many other examples of people famous in their community like Artica but I can't think of many off the top of my head right now. Still tired, just waking up and all.

np Saphira--we all post when tired at times...Just have to say that I have never heard of those two people. I am only one person who perhaps mixes in different circles to them, so I never get the chance. I will stand by my opinion though that they are good at something more than just good looks, and if you dig down you will find it. They may be good at RP and people-organising (which is a good skill and one I don't possess). They may be excellent self-promoters/promoters of their group, and promotion can be a valuble skill when used well.

I can only betcha that they aren't just pretty faces.

• Create objects that roam the grid everywhere, which are free of charge and fully modifiable making them the perfect items for others to learn to build themselves.
  • Initiate a style that is copied all over and inspires others to excel for years.
  • Disappear without a trace.
  • Leave your legacy behind.

Then perhaps you get close somewhat to the fame of an avatar like Arcadia Asylum.

famous sl avatars not linden

+

Steller Sunshine - builder

Anshe Chung - mega baron

Ziggy Puff - animation overrider

Stroker Serpentine - poseball

Adam Zaius - opensim

Eddy Stryker - copybot

Plastic Duck - greifer

Argent Stonecutter - flight feather

Luc Aubret - blitzer

Chip Midnight - clothing template

Day Oh - ocean waves

Hamlet Au - blogger

Electronic Mode wrote:

never heard about them

they more famous for what they did. some of them did other equally famous things as well

Steller Sunshine is also famous for being Resident No. 1

the Duck made the first well-known megaprims using a exploit on another avatar

Day Oh probly? made the first tpv before linden released the viewer source code. Heather Goodman made the first commercial surfing wave (i think?) Day Oh made the megaprim stick it in the ocean off-sim thingy as a freebie

Stroker was the sexxor animator king of sl

+

is other people as well who are famous. 3 more are:

Ordinal Malaprop invented just about all the math used in every script today that has anything to do with physical objects

Pyske Phaeton has probly killed more avatars in sl than anyone ever. with his home security orb

Desmond Shang made the first enduring integrated themed estate (steampunk)

16 wrote:

+

Anshe Chung - mega baron

Adam Zaius - opensim

Eddy Stryker - copybot

Plastic Duck - greifer

Luc Aubret - blitzer

Day Oh - ocean waves

Hamlet Au - blogger 

Of those, I only recognise 5 names, and 3 of them are because they are/were regular forum users. What you said they are famous for, I wasn't aware of, and I've been in SL since 2006 so I guess they're just not famous at all - except among the older forumites.

I've heard of 2 more from that list: one  because she made massive RL money from SL and the other because of the popular product that he was involved with (I won't say "made" :) ).

So I would say that all but 2 of your list aren't famous in SL at all, and I very much doubt the 'fame' of the other 2.

It's like someone said earlier, a lot of people are well-known within a relatively small group of people. I doubt that there are too many people in SL these days who know who Anshe is, and a lot less who know Stroker's name. The other 3 who I am aware of is because they were regular forum users, which gets them well-known amongst a very small minority of SL users. On the other hand, the flight feather itself, for instance, is very well-known, I think.

I'd say the same about Lindens. I doubt that there are too many users who are aware of even Torley's name. His name is very well-known amongst those who frequent the places where he posts, of course, but that's just a comparitively small number of people.

Just my opinions, of course.

16 wrote:

Electronic Mode wrote:

never heard about them

they more famous for what they did. some of them did other equally famous things as well

Steller Sunshine is also famous for being Resident No. 1

the Duck made the first well-known megaprims using a exploit on another avatar

Day Oh probly? made the first tpv before linden released the viewer source code. Heather Goodman made the first commercial surfing wave (i think?) Day Oh made the megaprim stick it in the ocean off-sim thingy as a freebie

Stroker was the sexxor animator king of sl

+

is other people as well who are famous. 3 more are:

Ordinal Malaprop invented just about all the math used in every script today that has anything to do with physical objects

Pyske Phaeton has probly killed more avatars in sl than anyone ever. with his home security orb

Desmond Shang made the first enduring integrated themed estate (steampunk) 

These people are just not famous throughout SL. Of this list, I've heard of only one - Desmond Shang - and that's because he was a regular forum user.

You know who all the people you named are, but you knowing who they are doesn't make them famous in SL.

I apologize for double posting but my phone won't let me edit my previous post. Just because you've never heard of someone doesn't mean they're not famous. I hadn't heard of Charlie Sheen until all the memes about him were spawned, but that doesn't mean he wasn't famous before. Granted I don't know of that person, so for all I know you could be right about them not being famous.

• Like 1

LOL Oh woe is me :)

Seriously though, you might be hanging around in the wrong places. Newbie areas? Crappy clubs? Any clubs? Most likely, it's just guys trying to get a little something from you. If someone offers you a free profile pic and you want one, go for it. I'm not sure what you think that will do. No avi in SL (aside from the Lindens) are actually famous.

In my world of home design, there are well known avis who you could say are famous, but only to those who are interested in home design, either as a trade or avid shoppers. Someone in the fashion industry sure wouldn't know who they are, and likewise, I have no idea who the big models are in SL.

Getting a profile pic splashed on someone's online portfolio is not going to make you famous. No offense, but we are pretty much all attractive besides those who are too new to have a great av yet, or those who chose to be less beautiful.

I don't harassed so much these days, and it's not because my av isn't smokin hot (jk), it all depends on where you are going, who with and how you behave. If you are up on the dance poles at clubs, or any kind of overt sexy dressing/flirting, you will be getting the kind of attention that you claim is making you uncompfortable.

16 wrote:

+

Anshe Chung - mega baron

Adam Zaius - opensim

Eddy Stryker - copybot

Plastic Duck - greifer

Luc Aubret - blitzer

Day Oh - ocean waves

Hamlet Au - blogger

Nice list .. I heard of two. Anshe (who made all this money and was smart enough ot take it out into RL quickly enough so she made a fortune) and Hamlet (since I read his blog even when I tend to disagree with his assumptions .. but he is well informed)

Some other people that might be known to a wider circle of people in SL would be the viewer developers beginning with Nichlaz (don't know the last name however but that is usually the only name he is refered too anyways) up to Jessica Lyon who is the leader and a very public fase of the Phoenix team (and the best project lead they could wish for for all I can tell)

Those who use third party viewers usualyl knew the names behind what they use so that might be said to be fame. And it is well deserved since those people do a lot for the community by working for free and creating something so many people like and enjoy using.

Hwever there are the infamous too that some people knew the names of but just as with many others, I would not call them really famous since most of them are famous within their circles. But when thinking about this everyone of those (excluding those infamous ones not mantioned by name but I have a few in mind and Anshe as she is the only one who is known for the moeny she made) have did something good for the community and got the fame for their skill and telent.

No one ever got famous for looks or for being a model. Since everyone can look as they like this does not hold as much importance here then it would in RL

And while I think my look is great and people do give me compliments for it I don't think I will ever be discovered by some osrt of famous photographer to have my profile pic made for me for free XP .... they all seem to chase a different kind of look

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2866 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.