Viewer crashes on start up.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4084 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Blonde is good, trying to run SL on a smartphone or even a Kindle (I kid you not) isn't :-)  Since you've established that you have a computer which should be able to run SL ...

All else being equal the most important technical things for SL are the graphics card and the quality of your broadband connection.  The specs I've seen for an Aspire 5755 say it has an nVidia 540M graphics card with its own 2Gb of memory.  That's a lot better than mine and I'd expect it to run SL in High graphics mode without any problems.  You can find the quality of your broadband by running a check using pingtest.net.

But wait ...

None of that may have anything to do with your particular problem(s).  First of all - What, if any, error messages do you get when you try to run SL?

Shattered Soulstar wrote:

None, it's the common problem that when it loads and reaches "Initializing VFS" it stops responding. I have a really good internet connection, too.

VFS stands for Virtual File System and when logging in stops at initialising VFS, clearing cache should fix it.

Clear your cache from Preferences then try again.

If that fails, manually remove the Second Life folders in AppData.

Browse to the path below that corresponds to your operating system:

Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\

Windows Vista - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\

Windows Vista Home Premium - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\

Windows 7 - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\ 

Inside the AppData folder:

1) Open the Local folder and delete the entire Second Life folder.

2) Go back one level to the AppData folder.

3) Open the Roaming folder and delete the entire Second Life folder.

If you wish to save existing chat files you've had with other avatars, move the Roaming > [avatar name] folder elsewhere on your computer and drag any chat text files you wish to retain into the new Roaming > [avatar name] folder once Second Life is reinstalled and you've logged in at least once. Ignore if you don't want to save any.

4) Restart your computer. This is important. Do not try starting Second Life again until you have rebooted.

Once you have rebooted, Second Life should run properly.

• 6 months later...

I had this issue when I had to reinstall Vista after a crash, and this solution (deleting the AppData folders) worked fine for me.  Now, I've upgraded to Windows 8, and am having the same issue!  Only this time, it isn't working for me.  I've already made sure I've got the most up to date driver for my video card, as well. :(

• 3 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4084 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.