How do I create separate caches for my different accounts?

Adur Gaelyth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've read here that it's advisable to create separate caches for different accounts in the same computer. How do I do this? When I change the cache location in preferences it changes for all my accounts, no matter what account I'm using at the moment.

Edit: Irene, I don't see different folders for my different accounts. They all seem to have the cache in the same location. When I change the location in preferences, it changes for all accounts.

I read here

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/I-am-having-login-problems-on-3-of-avatars-but-not-the-others/qaq-p/1162707

that having the cache for all accounts at the same location can lead to rez and log in problems. I'm having problems of that kind, and I see that they are related to the cache because I can only fix them by clearing cache. I think that having separate cache locations for my accounts would probably solve this issue... so how can I do it?

2 answers to this question

The advice is for separate different caches in different VIEWERS :)

Usin the same viewer there is no problem with different accounts: see you cache folde and you will see inside different folder for each account.

BTW there are some viewers that don't need that advice. For example Firestorm use her own cache folder, different of official viewer.

I'm not sure where you read that. The opposite is true. 

As Irene is suggesting, everything that is unique to an account is automatically separated by the viewer and placed in its own folder. In Windows you'll find a folder for each avatar in:

C:\Users\[windows_login_id]\AppData\Roaming\[viewer_name]\[user_name]

The new larger cache can be set to 10gb. By allowing everyone using the computer or all accounts on the computer to use the same cache one greatly reduces the amount of material that has to be downloaded... for all those using the computer. There is nothing in the cache that is unique to a user. So, they placed the main cache for geometery, textures, and sounds in LOCAL rather than ROAMING.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.