Sign in to follow this  
Eileen Fellstein

Prim Babies/Tummies - why the negative opinions?

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

My issue with teh tummy talkers is, it forces me into their RP. kinda like the bad vamps that offer people bites in full daylight at a crowded mall.. i deal with them the same way.

/me draws his enchanted dagger and offers to remove the demonic fetus from your womb.

DId i fail to mention i usually RP as a Demon?  If their fetus is talking, its demonic. I offered a woman 500L once for her prim baby.. We needed an innocent soul for a ritual. Mind you, she was in a BDSM mall.. and the kid was screaming. Seriously, that much realism i dont need in SL. I have kids in RL, i come to SL to get some escape.

Ha! This brings back a funny memory. I was hosting this club and this guy that was a regular came in one night and he had on a tummy talker (yes, a guy!) and was joyfully  -or mornfully, not sure which- expecting a little demon baby. Naturally all the emotes were totally evil stuff and all that. I never did get to see the baby though :/

ROB34466IIIa wrote:

.. not even if it woulda been a giant blue Robin Williams-kinda genie .. :robotindifferent:

What about a Barbara Eden kind of genie who could grant your wish to forget that the rubbing ever happened?

* laughing at the rubbing :D

I seem to recal pointing out in another topic that rubbing daddy there is what brings about an enchore performance. Maybe we should just pay him?

Something just occured to me looking over the comments in this topic. It's been a while since I was actually around a tummy talker, in public or otherwise.

What I'm wondering goes to the writing of the talker vs how it's being read...

anything that uses a scripted emote is going to post OBJECT NAME <emote text> in chat, or something similar

Like if I had a tail on and Maddy clicked it, it might say...

Eileen's black fluffy tail tickles Madelaine's nose

In the world of emotes, that's an action. The tail isn't talking. It did something.(I know. It didn't really DO anything except put some text in chat but that's what the colored or italicized text means if it's not NAME: text. ex. Eileen: Hello)

Are the tummies really written as fetus is talking, or is it doing something?

And yea, still, even if it's not actually 'talking' it's pressuming to give everyone a look where they can't really see, so I still can understand a bit of creep factor there. I highly agree with Naughty above that for everyone's sake they should be written to be more private.

Incidently I haven't bought one. I did adopt a one yr. old prim baby a few days ago. Very cute but basic functions. Change clothes, makes a few noises, plays with toys. And so far yea, it's been quite nice. I really like how homey my SL home feels with baby playing on the floor and cartoons on the TV while I work on things around the place. I've not taken her out anywhere, but she goes to my friend's who is my sitter. Yups, I pay her for that, if she likes it or not, lol.

I dislike them because they are so unrealistic. the tummys are one thing, but the prim babies? Ugh. 

And to be honest, I have a huge problem with children and child RP inworld. I won't mistreat child avies or talk down to them, but I do absolutely refuse to play along. The next logical step from tummy to prim baby ends in child RP, so I guess that's the problem I have with them.

Again, I would never be rude to a child avi or someone with a tummy or prim baby. I just simply ignore it completely and move on.

Rosemaery Lorefield wrote:

I dislike them because they are so unrealistic. the tummys are one thing, but the prim babies? Ugh. 

And to be honest, I have a huge problem with children and child RP inworld. I won't mistreat child avies or talk down to them, but I do absolutely refuse to play along. The next logical step from tummy to prim baby ends in child RP, so I guess that's the problem I have with them.

Again, I would never be rude to a child avi or someone with a tummy or prim baby. I just simply ignore it completely and move on.

Are we not all children here playing at being adults?

Not my plan at all though I can see the logic in that train of thought. There won't be any adults RPing as my children in my house. My adult daughter is also in SL but is away taking care of her own one year old right now. My thought is to offer her to take the display name and carry on as the adult version of my daughter...since she is anyway and I wouldn't be comfortable with anyone else doing it.

Not sure what I will do with baby if she says no, lol. but I guess, since I seem to not be aging past about 26 in SL, there's no reason baby has to ever grow up either.

And baby is rather impressive looking though granted she don't do a lot. But neither did mine for a while. Then once they did I wished to hell they didn't.

Appreciate the input. Rosemary, thanks!

Eileen Fellstein wrote:

Not my plan at all though I can see the logic in that train of thought. There won't be any adults RPing as my children in my house. My adult daughter is also in SL but is away taking care of her own one year old right now. My thought is to offer her to take the display name and carry on as the adult version of my daughter...since she is anyway and I wouldn't be comfortable with anyone else doing it.

Not sure what I will do with baby if she says no, lol. but I guess, since I seem to not be aging past about 26 in SL, there's no reason baby has to ever grow up either.

And baby is rather impressive looking though granted she don't do a lot. But neither did mine for a while. Then once they did I wished to hell they didn't.

Appreciate the input. Rosemary, thanks!

Congrats on your grandchild Eileen !!

LoL my avatar is eternally 26 likewise ...

I bought the birthing animation & its scheduled for this Saturday .. if that's convenient for my sister .. who i havent seen inworld for a couple days .. I'll be glad to get my figure back .. so that clothes will fit .. & my hands dont disappear in2 my belly .. & i dont look so ridiculous dancing .. If i want my baby to grow & develop i hav2 keep buying stuff for it .. personally, I don't intend to .. unless his daddy wants to .. if not I guess that Jaques will stay the perpetual newborn LoL I have a crow named Bonnie who sits on my shoulder .. so if you see a woman w/ a baby in 1 arm & a crow on her other shoulder .. thats me !! :P

Hah yea, we never have to get old in SL, it's a beautiful thing :)

I don't care if people do child/family RP, or have prim babies and talking bellys really. I'm just not that comfortable with it, and it's probably because I am not really into any RP + some of my early exposure to babies and children in SL were pretty weird.

I worked at a shop that sold very slutty neko gear, great stuff for adults! There were several families that came in, most notably fathers and daughters, to purchase the clothes for their little darlings :/ Some of the child avi's would get downright pissed if everyone didn't fawn over them and play along. To me, this is not right. I don't agree with child avi's wearing provocative clothing, and I don't want to participate. Pretty much if people are willing to act decent and not try to involve me in their RP, no matter the flavour, it's all good with me :) Except for the child pron part. 

My problem with prim babies, or maybe all small avi's in general...I feel awkward RPing a mom to a pretend thingy that coos and makes noises and is clickable.  I've tried and even had those hellish tummy talkers and I just can't do it.  

Eileen Fellstein wrote:

Anyway, I'm really interested into the why's behind the negative press on this stuff. I mean if you think they are creepy, you do. That's your opinion, but
why?
lol. Really, genuinelly trying to get some understanding on this.

well, I don't find them creepy, but I am not fan.

1. Talking Tummies: When my first life tummy "talks," say if it rumbles before dinner, or makes an inappropriate noise while digesting said dinner, I may apologize for it. It's not something one is typically proud of, per se. It is not something that I would be comfortable having broadcast. 

More to the point, however, the majority of the talk on a talking tummy is pretty vapid. "username feels the new life within her burble with joy" or "username has an incredible craving for a bowl of fish sticks and custard." None of these are things those around the tummy talker need to hear. None of these are things one's tummy would broadcast in first life.

To me, it feels as if the person wearing said device is (a) unable to roleplay very well, or is lazy, and is letting green text do the work, and/or (b) is really craving a lot of attention, and feels that wearing such a device is the easiest way to gain such.

Meanwhile, it would be remarkably easy for the maker of said object to make the device only emte on the IM channel, so only the "mommy" gets to hear it. They can have all the joy of listening to their body emote every few minutes, without imposing it on others.

This woud be the next part fo it, of course. By wearing such, you are expecting others to behave accordingly, and role play your experience with you. As somone who is well aware of that (I do RP a kid, and many also end up in the "imposing RP on others" category), many will react negatively about being put into an RP situation they are not interested in being in. The worst examples of these would be the tummy talkers with colissions built in "Oh no, username 1 bumped into username 2! Be care, for sure is holding the seeds of new life!" which essentially call another person out while, again, directing attention onto the mommy to be's lazy role play.

Finally, I tend to run across these objects most often in busy locations. Fashion Fairs and what not. Places where one should not be wearing a high script object that uses timers, random generators, colission detection, etc. It's just simply inconsiderate.

Now, do I yell and scream at the wearer? no. Most of the time I'll just go about my business. Rarely, if the situation arises and I feel like a bit of a scamp, I may use a script or two of my own, and "mimic" the tummy mysef, with a bit of green text of my own. Most of the time, I'll just  let them go on and be rude and mind my own, though.

Melita Magic wrote:

Oh, once in my early SL I was dancing in a 'club' and someone a few avatars away was wearing a chatting diaper. A grown avatar. Not kidding. The local chat it spammed was graphic. Their groups were all diaper fetish. The owners ended up ejecting them.

Oh ya, I've come across a couple of those in my day. The *worst* thing ever in SL. Ever ever. At worst, they can be a hellish combination of talking tummy scripts, particle spam, and "crinkle" noise. Eww, just eww.

Tummy talkers are annoying. I don't want to be a store and hearing every two minutes, about how someone needs a vitamen, needs meds or how their baby is hungry and/or happy. Your stomach doesn't talk in to real life, so it shouldn't in SL either. Its spammy, irritating and I really hate being told all that useless information that I could have lived without knowing.

Prim babies? I don't see the point in those at all, also don't understand child avatars when you're someone who is like in their 50's. Prim baby for roleplay? Sure go for it. Child avatar for roleplay only, go for it but stop being a kid outside of RP.

If you ask someone to turn their talker off they get really rude and offensive about it, all I did was ask for you to stop spamming me. If they get rude I generally end up rude back, but seriously please stop.

<<By wearing such, you are expecting others to behave accordingly>>

Yes!

<<Finally, I tend to run across these objects most often in busy locations>>

And yes!

This is my #1 issue with emoters of any kind, or open RP in public spaces. Usually it is the emoters, but I have run across people in varios kinds of RP that actually expect everyone around them to participate in. Sorry, no. 

I really could care less what people do in SL, as long as it is legal, I just do not want to be party to it in any way :)

I think reading everyone's reply that most people don't care what others do in their SL as long as they don't force the rest of us to play along.  It doesn't bother me to see pregnant avi's or prim babies and I think child avi's are cute.  It's the stupid tummy talkers, like others have said RL babies do not communicate to the outside world in the womb and if they are trying to simulate a RL experience then nix the tummy talkers ladies..It's annoying and dare I say just plain stupid. 

It's interesting (and yes I also think that it sucked) that at one time women would try to hide the fact that they were pregnant.  Because it meant that they had, gasp, had sex!

I live now in a place where I do meet girls who think of sex in terms of 'making babies.'  Because making babies is not a sin but sex is.  Strange logic.  I could get all the sex I wanted if I wanted to operate under false pretenses.  All I'd need to do is get snipped and then not tell them.

bonni Haven wrote:

I think reading everyone's reply that most people don't care what others do in their SL as long as they don't force the rest of us to play along.  It doesn't bother me to see pregnant avi's or prim babies and I think child avi's are cute.  It's the stupid tummy talkers, like others have said RL babies do not communicate to the outside world in the womb and if they are trying to simulate a RL experience then nix the tummy talkers ladies..It's annoying and dare I say just plain stupid. 

I don't have a problem with pregnant bellies. It's sweet that couples want to do that together, but the tummy talkers are annoying. 

Yes you are pregnant....no I don't want to keep hearing what the baby is doing.

I personally hate these things passionately, because, frankly, we wouldn't know about what the baby's doing in there unless it's causing quite a visible reaction in the mother. If that were the case, I think it would be more interesting for the mother to decide her own personal reaction.They're also going to be more unique and less programmed. Let the talkers send llInstantMessages ONLY to the wearer, then let her decide whether to react, and how. Because, really, those of us in the room would not know that the baby's practicing for Riverdance on the mum's bladder. We'd only notice if she excused herself for a wee.

It really just seems to boil down to the need for attention. The behavior of a woman who used to come to our sim was a perfect example of that. Not only did she have that annoying thing, but she insisted on going to labor in our bar, and asked if she should put out a tip jar.

The babies aren't much better, honestly. It's nothing I have against babies, either. I love kids. I don't love parents, RL or SL, who use children as status symbols. Many parents are good, don't do that. Others, however, ugh. I was once giving a guided tour, and a woman ran up with a pram and insisted that the group's attention be on her. She knew she was doing it. Had she just shown up with a kid in arms, and properly attended the tour along with the crowd, I'd have no problem. It was the fact that she saw a group of people who would validate her choices, and insisted that they do so (they were all strangers to her, by the way). We had a strictly-timed schedule to keep, and nowhere in the tour's agenda was there listed an exhibit for this woman's infant.

Mila Edelman wrote:

It really just seems to boil down to the need for attention. The behavior of a woman who used to come to our sim was a perfect example of that. Not only did she have that annoying thing, but she insisted on going to labor in our bar, and
asked if she should put out a tip jar.

LMFAO!!! I just sprayed diet pepsi through my nose.  

It's pretty much all been said already here but I'll offer my two cents anyway.  The main issue I have with the talking tummies is that they intrude on others.  That is just rude IMO. Ideally they would just talk to the prospective parents, and maybe their ob/gyn or midwife. 

That said, I had an sl pregnancy and had lots of fun with it.  I never wore a tummy talker, but I did roleplay with my partner and we had a wonderful midwife that rp'd with us, weekly checkups and a wonderful birthing experience.  I modified my body myself to mimic the stages of pregnancy, which did not last 9 real months but rather the sl equivalent, which is about 4 times as fast.  Little Pixel was born and tucked away in a folder in my inventory and has been sleeping peacefully ever since.  Such a good baby!