What has being in Second Life taught to you?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i think we all have many stories to tell about what we have discovered in SL. and i mean discovered things that have even maybe changed our RL lives.  I am actually not very outgoing person in RL. In SL i have many friends and i have learned better how to communicate with others. True. sometimes it doesnt work. just people can be so different.

I know people who have discovered their creative side in SL. 

There is many musicians in SL that now have a chance to perform to audience.  Even if like nobody knows them in RL. or at least never heard them playing music.

SL is really a place for creative people. I dont mean that its not for others. I think everyone can find something to d in SL.

even simple things like chit chatting with your SL friends can be very relaxing and fun thing.

And isnt SL perfect place to practice different languages. I am really thinking to catch up with some languages. Meet with people who originaly talk in that language. I t should be very good and free language practice. At least I hope so.

One more thing i have learned from SL is that people are generally good. Yes there are also mean people, but gladly not many. or maybe i have been lucky :) At least people in SL are good people. We might not agree with everything, and thats ok i think :)

Just wanted to share some of my thoughts about what i have thaught and discovered by being in Second Life.

Please. Share your viewes

thanks

SL has broadened my acceptance of other lifestyles.  I like and enjoy the fact that I get to meet people all over the world, who have a wide range of interests and express them in a variety of ways.  From the kinky to the artistic, I am in a constant state of learning about how others conduct themselves.  Even if it's shocking, insulting, hysterical, or ____, I am consistenly entertained.  It's what keeps me coming back....

Online chat forces people to put their thoughts out there. They can't very well just stand there and say nothing and expect people to pick up on what they are thinking like in real life. So in that way it has been illuminating because every time people speak they do reveal something about themselves, consciously or not.

it has taught me some of my own limits and also my own limitations. It has taught me that I'm not very good at follow through which is something I knew already but, when you have the prims in front of you it's harder to ignore. :)

It has taught me that there are some magical people out there, some incredibly kind and selfless people, and some who are consistent. Those were all good things to know since in real life, people have not always been those things.

Most of all it has taught me how much COMMUNITY means to me. Which is why I put that in big letters so anyone skimming my post can still see it.  :)  I never understood that until I spent time in Second Life in various situations. I don't mean friends or cliques but a sense of community, which, no matter what we do or how we do it in Second Life, we are all part of a community.

When I look back over my real life, the happiest times were when I was part of a community with a common goal or outlook, small or large. In Second Life, no matter what we do or how we do it, we're all here to communicate, in some form, in some way, in the end - Even if it's just to say "leave me alone," and that is a common goal too.  

Blargh, you'd think it was 4:20 the way I'm rambling...and no I do not partake.  

i have learned that people around the world are not so different from each other, we can establish a communication with many things in common, not even knowing that we are from very different cultures, economic status, gender, race, religions, and we talk to each other like with our local neighbors, we care about family, politics, friendships, love, health, just like everyone in the world.

it has allow me to discover the many forms of thoughts a human mind can come out with, from the many styles that they decorate their sims, to the way they express themselves in their profiles or how they choose to look, its very interesting to see self expression like you never could in the real world, because of geographic limitations or stereotypes.

it has show me some parts of myself that i didnt pay attention to them, that i had almost forgotten because of local social culture and practices, some parts of me were limited with what society expects from you, it has taught me that those parts of me can be very vivid even if im not that allowed to fully express them in the real world, it has showed me who i really am.

i have learned about the strength of community, how powerful they can be when they share ideas and common goals, just like Melita said, we all are like muscles in the body, with all our different strengths we can lift up the hardest burden, we can sustain an economy and be united no matter how different we are, we can be like one.

i has assured me that what matters most is the inside, in the real world, people can not look very promising to do a job because of how they look, or their job records, or their education level, but without us knowing any of that, they can perform a job like an experienced professional.

it has show me that i was right when i dreamed that if the internet would be like a virtual world, it would be awesome!

pd: cool name!

don't treat SL as if it's your RL
if you get in a relationship/partnered don't take the relationship seriously the more you do the more upset and hurt you'll be when things come to an end 
if you're going to tell someone you've AR'd them don't then turn around and do something that warrants you getting AR'd

i have been taught that SL is a very dangerous place for some people. Those that have a RL need for companionship and can not separate SL from RL can and will get very very hurt. i found this out the hard way. Some people use it a dating site, which its not. One should always keep in mind this simple adamantium clad fact... You know nothing for certain about the person you are with in SL, unless you have met them in RL face to face.

Don't get bent if your perfect guy/gal turns out to be a gender bender. If the av is what you want, go for it.

Don't fall in RL love with your SL partner. find someone in RL.

ETA: i realized how melancholy that was so I'm going to add.

I have also met some of the most amazing people and the most unusual as well.

For a more light post, i give you these words of wisdom.

Ladies and Gentlemen of the SecondLife class of 2012,

I have a few words of wisdom to impart before you leave the Welcome area.

Wear an AO. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, an AO would be it. The long term benefits of AO's have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis or reliable then my own meandering experience.  I will dispense this advice....now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your newbness. Oh, nevermind, you won't understand the power and beauty of your newbness until they've faded, but trust me in 3 years, you'll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how terrible you really looked.

Don't worry about the future, or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve a scripting equation by chewing bubblegum.

The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind: the kind that blindsides you at 4pm on some idle Tuesday.

Go to one sim every day that scares you.

Don't be reckless with other people's hearts; don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Fly.

Don't waste your time on jealousy.  Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind.  The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself.

Remember compliments you receive; forget the insults. (if you succeed in doing this, tell me how).

Keep your old love notecards.

Deform.

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your Secondlife.  The most interesting people I know, didn't know at 18 what they wanted to do with their lives; some of the most interesting 60 year olds I know still don't.

Maybe you'll partner, maybe you won't.  Maybe you'll have prim babies, maybe you won't.  Maybe you'll divorce after 3 weeks; maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary.

Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself, either.  Your choices are half chance, so are everybody else's.

Enjoy your Avatar: use it every way you can.  Don't be afraid of it or what other people think of it; it's the greatest instrument you'll ever own.

Dance...even if you have no where to do it but in the middle of a Gorean mall.

Read the directions (if you can ever find them).

Understand that friends come and go, but that a precious few you should hold on to.  Work hard to bridge the gaps and geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people you knew when you were a newb.

Live in Midian City once, but leave before it makes you hard.

Live in Avilion once, but leave before it makes you soft.

Randomly Teleport on the map.

Accept certain inalienable truths: Teir fees will rise, CEOs will philander, you too will get old; and when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were a Newb, Teir fees were reasonable, CEOs were noble, and Newbs respected their elders.

Respect your elders.

Don't expect anyone else to support you.  Maybe you find a money tree, maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse, but you never know when either one might run out.

Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you reach your 4th rezzday, it will look 85.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.  Advice is a form of nostalgia; dispensing it is a way of wishing the past from the disposal--wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it's worth.

But trust me, on the AO.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.