My sales are suddenly in the toilet, again...

Myrylyn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Myrylyn wrote:

Well, look out, because Diablo 3 just entered a completely open beta at 12 noon today and it will last through the weekend.

We'll probably lose a lot of a cross-gendered and male avatars this weekend!

D3 beta is great. Report bug, bug gets fixed.

Report bug about auction house, bug is fixed within days.

One male here that will be "gone fishing" on 5/5 opening day and enjoying direct delivery from auction house to inventory.

May get lucky and find some of those in-demand items to sell on the auction house. Cashing out for real dollars looks like it will be pretty painless.

Imagine that.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>Mine isn't a "drop" in sales - it's no sales whatsoever for a period of time, then back to what is normal for my shop.

OK, I agree that's weird.

Have their been lag or latency issues recently in other online services?

(Hey... I'm trying to be fair here).

Wouldn't it be just like Christmas if all this seeming sale stoppage was just a delay in reporting? :matte-motes-big-grin:

Sadly, I've already tested this theory. If I buy something for myself, from myself, I get notified almost immediately. :matte-motes-nerdy:

Not to dump all the fault onto LL, but the fluctuations are almost always because of changes/bugs in the search results. Back in the day, when LL had a working inworld search engine and web purchases on Xstreet were more marginal, I would literally make 5-10 % more every single week for a good 3 years. Then LL started screwing with the search and the very day they started it was obvious in my sales. They have yet to understand how the inworld search should work, and likely never will, or care enough to understand.

Now, with the MP, I see the exact same thing. Every time they mess with it, things go wacky. You can quite easily tell when they do screw around with it because your online store will have different results. Your online store should never really change too much, as it's your store, and those products have a history that is not going to change drastically overnight. So, your store should not be changing radically from day to day. When it does, you know that some clueless person at LL feels the need to mess with crap. I do find it funny that the changes never benefit me. You'd think with the law of averages, that at some point I'd be thrown a bone for a week or 2, lol.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Not to dump all the fault onto LL, but the fluctuations are almost always because of changes/bugs in the search results. Back in the day, when LL had a working inworld search engine and web purchases on Xstreet were more marginal, I would literally make 5-10 % more every single week for a good 3 years. Then LL started screwing with the search and the very day they started it was obvious in my sales. They have yet to understand how the inworld search should work, and likely never will, or care enough to understand.

Now, with the MP, I see the exact same thing. Every time they mess with it, things go wacky. You can quite easily tell when they do screw around with it because your online store will have different results. Your online store should never really change too much, as it's your store, and those products have a history that is not going to change drastically overnight. So, your store should not be changing radically from day to day. When it does, you know that some clueless person at LL feels the need to mess with crap. I do find it funny that the changes never benefit me. You'd think with the law of averages, that at some point I'd be thrown a bone for a week or 2, lol.

I agree, Medhue.  I just got up and I'm lookin now at my store.  The last two items that sold are, for some reason, now in 1st and 2nd position.  My top seller is now in position 3.  I had zero sales yesterday (rather typical for my store though.  I'll go a day or two with no sales and then ka-wham! here they come again.) so I'm quite sure somebody is playing around with search.

You know...they really need to hire somebody at Google to take care of their search engine.  Both inworld and on the Marketplace.  I know, I know.  That's a stupid dream and I'd be better off dreaming about somethin else. I can't help it though. 

Luckily, my store has been completely unaffected by the cross-linked listings problem or any of the other myriad things that's going on right now.  But this search thing affects us all.

Spica Inventor wrote:

We should all record those days or group of days that sales drop to zero. If they happen to fall on the same days for all or most of us, then we can pretty much safely assume that it's Linden Labs 'screwing around' causing the problem. ;-)

GREAT idea, Spica!  Will start watching and recording.

Myrylyn wrote:

Well, look out, because Diablo 3 just entered a completely open beta at 12 noon today and it will last through the weekend.

We'll probably lose a lot of a cross-gendered and male avatars this weekend!

LOL!!!

I dabble in some MMORPGs - EQ and more recently WoW to be specific. (And I'm female in SL and RL *grins*)  I've noticed on those games' forums that especially hardcore players seem to jump from one game to the next "new thing" regularly.  For example, a lot of people left EQ/WoW when Star Wars: The Old Republic was released last December.  Some have already returned, having hit the current max level in SWTOR.

On the WoW boards, I see many people who paid a year's subscription to WoW in advance via a promotion that included Diablo 3 as part of a year's pre-paid subscription to WoW.

Interestingly, whenever I have mentioned SL to people in either EQ or WoW, I get one of two responses:

1.  I tried that game awhile back and didn't like it.

2.  I've never heard of that game - what's it like?

In trying to explain that SL is not a game but a virtual world that has various games "within it," I can just *see* eyes glazing over.  I brought one of my EQ friends over to SL but he left saying, "There's nothing here for me to kill." Oy.

Lately I've taken taken this approach to explaining how SL as not a game.

No, it's not a game. It's work.

In the time it takes you raid a town, you may have produced an item.

In the time it takes you to complete a dungeon, you may be able to package your product.

By the time you've earned 10,000 gold, you may have earned 100 linden donuts.

By the time you've earned that epic gear, you may have gathered a few linden bears.

By the time you've gotten a GM to answer your question and fix your problem, you got someone from LL to tell you to file a ticket.

An expansion pack in LL costs $300 ... every month.

SL is NOT a game. It's serious, buggy, costly and condescending business requiring far more patience than a game. You people out for entertainment value and relieving frustration from RL need to get a clue.

Dartagan Shepherd wrote:

SL is NOT a game. It's serious, buggy, costly and condescending business requiring far more patience than a game. You people out for entertainment value and relieving frustration from RL need to get a clue.

That's assuming the merchant-stance.  Before I became a merchant and enjoyed SL for its relaxation, social, and entertainment value, none of what you stated affected my time in SL.  I still love SL for the myriads of things I can do in this virtual world that I cannot in RL - travel to various cities/countries, enjoy music and camaraderie in an Irish Pub, become immersed in Victorian era RP, sail, swim, scuba, etc.  These are just some of the things I enjoy.

I also enjoy being a merchant in SL.  I never ever ever planned or even thought about selling anything in SL, it developed as an outgrowth of learning how to build, then wondering if anything I built was good enough to sell, held a yardsale to weed out some of my inventory and put one of my builds in with the other items, was thrilled when it kept selling, rented a tiny satellite-type location, and went from there.

Being a small merchant by choice, I don't experience some of the issues that larger merchants or those earning incomes from their SL businesses do, at least on the same scale.  Until DD was implemented with the accompanying borkage, I never needed to file a ticket re: my business. My joy comes from taking classes, learning more advanced building, texturing, how to use animations in builds, etc. then creating items based on the knowledge and offering them for sale at very reasonable prices. :)

If I even bother to try to explain SL to others anymore, I emphasize the social aspect geared to their interests.  I do mention it is "possible" to earn RL cash in SL, but pretty much everyone I've spoken to about SL over the years is not interested in that aspect.

Oh sure, still a huge believer in the potential of virtual worlds in general. Just that I'm not going to look like a fool with friends and associates because I know the kind of experience they're going to have is far less than their expectations on quality, ease of use, pricing, support, etc.

Plenty of things virtual worlds had/have going for them such as the socialization, music, etc. (SL isn't the first or only one to do this).

The one thing I can't get past is the fact that they won't upgrade hardware, stop stuffing sims on old machines like sardines and offering less in the way of resources and seeking further monetization, when they've already got enough monetization games going to choke a horse.

The hardware and pricing says it all for me. If they're not upgrading and continue to run on these aging resources they're going nowhere but milking it for the next 5 years until it runs dry and we become There.

I just don't mention it to anyone anymore because in the scheme of things it's a yesterday technology. It came up recently in a RL conversation. My advice? Wait a couple of years and see if they actually pull it together.

And I just won't support a company to the outside world that condescends to its users and treats them like second class idiots while crowd sourcing them. I think more of my friends and associates than that, and my own reputation.

Sorry, I guess that qualifies as a rant. ;)

>It's serious, buggy, costly and condescending business requiring far more patience than a game

I think people who don't see it as a game may not appreciate that it begins to feel like a game when you finally figure out how to start winning at it.

I seems to me a bit like playing chess and poker at the same time.

I think what you might need to do, Dart, is just focus more on getting inside LL's OODA loop.

Once you start seeing conclusively that you're at least 2 moves ahead of them, the whole picture will start to come together.

>treats them like second class idiots while crowd sourcing them.

The idiotic treatment would seem a lot more forgiveable if they at least made proper use of the crowdsourcing instead of ignoring it until they need to rationalize some kind of decision they've really already made.

Kampu Oyen wrote:

>If they happen to fall on the same days for all or most of us, then we can pretty much safely assume that it's Linden Labs 'screwing around' causing the problem. ;-)

More conspiracy talk?

My God, you people are paranoid.

This is not conspiracy talk. It's observing the obvious. As far as I know, no1 here has implied that the changes were done purposely to hurt us. They seem to be trying to fix things, they just have no clue what they are doing, or they don't understand the programing well enough. We never saw this kind of crap on Xstreet.

>They seem to be trying to fix things, they just have no clue what they are doing, or they don't understand the programing well enough.

This is a claim which is every bit as unsupported as would be the claim that the abuses are intentional.

Things have very consistently happened that are not statistically explicable as mere accidents.

For example, why do the transaction errors alway favor LL, rather than merchants and customers?

What kind of accident can you suggest that would explain this as a persistent pattern, just to begin with?

Personally, I attribute that to people just doing a job and not caring how it gets done. The Lindens are just employees, who wake up everyday and are told what to do. They have little stake in whether anything works right or not. They will still get a pay check. This is 1 of the reasons why I don't like corporations, and think it is a very old model for what is very much a new age. If people don't have any incentive, they will give you just what you ask for and nothing more. Now, you and I, if we mess up, we are gonna hear it directly from our customers and feel it in our profits.

I am presently inclined to give more credit than that to all but one of them.

The only problem is which one, exactly.

There are a couple of easy targets, but we don't know all that's put upon them.

Even if it's one of his underlings, though, I increasingly think the buck stops with Rodvik.

If he can't identify and fire the correct person, maybe he also needs to go.

Or if they're just doing what he's told them to do, all the more reason he should step down...

... Unless, of course, he's really just doing has to be done, no matter how unpleasant or legally questionable; a possibility that certainly occurs to me.

Watching this process longer and longer, I find myself becoming oddly sypathetic to what I imagine may be a company that has to shut down the marketplace in order to save the grid, but can't just say that for legal reasons.

In way, I'm almost starting to hope they'll just hurry it up and get it over with.

Kampu Oyen wrote:

Watching this process longer and longer, I find myself becoming oddly sypathetic to what I imagine may be a company that
has to
shut down the marketplace in order to save the grid, but can't just say that for legal reasons.

In way, I'm almost starting to hope they'll just hurry it up and get it over with.

Let me assure every single person that fears the MP will be permanently shutdown, that It is never going to happen. If you really think this, you don't understand the dynamics of what has happened over the years. If they shut the MP down, SL will immediately go into a massive tailspin downward. 3 years ago, they could have shut it down. Today, I'm guessing more than 60% of all sales go thru the MP. They already destroyed inworld shopping, which is mainly why so many shop on the MP. That's alot of people that won't be able to pay tier anymore. Within 2 months of closing the MP, LL would no longer be profitable, and within 6-8 months, LL would no longer exist. At least, by my estimates, unless some fullish shareholders wants to throw more of their money away. 

Kampu Oyen wrote:

>If they happen to fall on the same days for all or most of us, then we can pretty much safely assume that it's Linden Labs 'screwing around' causing the problem. ;-)

More conspiracy talk?

My God, you people are paranoid.

That is not my quote in your response to me.  I responded to the above quote, but am not its author.  Just keeping the record straight. ;)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.