Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guest

Automatic Notification System (ANS) Launches for Direct Delivery

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2336 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Czari,

You only need the Viewer 3 or Firestorm viewer when you physically upload the products from your Inventory to the Direct Delivery Escrow (holding tank) folder. They disappear from your Merchant Outbox once uploaded anyway, so that won't affect anything you do on an older PC.

So you'd borrow the family member's PC, upload the items via the Merchant Outbox on Viewer 3 or Firestorm, then log out and ...

Go back home to do everything else on your own PC.

Problem solved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darrius Gothly wrote: charges.

BTW: I thought that LL "bought in" to SL Exchange and then because of their ownership position "motivated" them to change the name. At least that was the scuttlebutt I remember hearing. That's probably why I got the name thing wrong. But you were a lot more involved in the comings and goings on the business side of things, so I'll take your word and fix it up. Thanks for pointing it out.

Hey Darrius :)  Yes, Dart is exactly right re: the name changes.  When I first began listing my SL products online there were several sites (which I know you know...lol).  In addition to Xstreet I used OnRez, which I loved!  I *think* (Dart, help me out here) LL purchased OnRez as well then closed it down.  Xstreet was changed to SL Exhange (SLX) either at or shortly after SL purchased it.  I still see a lot of merchant profiles that say they are listed on Xstreet.  They may no longer be in SL or Xstreet became the common "phrase" name of the MP so to speak and some people still use it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Darrius Gothly wrote:

Czari,

You only need the Viewer 3 or Firestorm viewer when you physically upload the products from your Inventory to the Direct Delivery Escrow (holding tank) folder. They disappear from your Merchant Outbox once uploaded anyway, so that won't affect anything you do on an older PC.

So you'd borrow the family member's PC, upload the items via the Merchant Outbox on Viewer 3 or Firestorm, then log out and ...

Go back home to do everything else on your own PC.

Problem solved.

Thanks, Darrius.  Still have a question on if I want to make changes to one of my listed products.  Would I then just delete the product from the MP website and go to family member's house to upload the new one?

I guess from not using the system yet, some of it is still foggy to me. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Thanks, Darrius.  Still have a question on if I want to make changes to one of my listed products.  Would I then just delete the product from the MP website and go to family member's house to upload the new one?

I guess from not using the system yet, some of it is still foggy to me.
;)

You'd do all the building, fixing, whatever you need to do on your PC, then put together the folder or box you intend to upload to Direct Delivery ... then log off and go to the new PC.

At the new PC, you'd log on using a new viewer, upload the folder or box .. then log off.

Then go back home and edit the Associated Item on the product listing (with your web browser), changing it to be the new folder or box and then deleting the old box or folder that was replaced. (Once you swap in the new one, the old one will show up in Unassociated Items, but since you use a browser to manage that list, your old PC is sufficient).

Basically it's like this:

1. If you do it with your browser, it's done on your Old PC.

2. If you do it with your Viewer, then it MIGHT need the new PC .. but only for features that are only supported in a new Viewer.

3. Since the only "New Viewer" step you need to do is the "Upload with Merchant Outbox" then the only thing you need the newer PC for is ... uploading using the Merchant Outbox.

And that's the answer .. the only thing that needs the new Viewer is the Merchant Outbox upload. Everything else can be done on your existing PC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Czari Zenovka wrote:


Darrius Gothly wrote: charges.

BTW: I thought that LL "bought in" to SL Exchange and then because of their ownership position "motivated" them to change the name. At least that was the scuttlebutt I remember hearing. That's probably why I got the name thing wrong. But you were a lot more involved in the comings and goings on the business side of things, so I'll take your word and fix it up. Thanks for pointing it out.

Hey Darrius
:)
  Yes, Dart is exactly right re: the name changes.  When I first began listing my SL products online there were several sites (which I know you know...lol).  In addition to Xstreet I used OnRez, which I loved!  I *think* (Dart, help me out here) LL purchased OnRez as well then closed it down.  Xstreet was changed to SL Exhange (SLX) either at or shortly after SL purchased it.  I still see a lot of merchant profiles that say they are listed on Xstreet.  They may no longer be in SL or Xstreet became the common "phrase" name of the MP so to speak and some people still use it. 

Thank you. I was actually kinda sorta selling back then. But I was way more interested in the social side of SL at the time. I had a few things for sale on SLX, but wasn't really focusing on it at all. Then the Commerce Team released their "Freebie Roadmap" and ... well .. I turned the corner. Now they can't get RID of me. LOL

Oh .. btw .. I fixed up the Wiki article too. It now reads:

SL Exchange then changed their name to XStreet SL, at which point Linden Lab purchased it and then retired it in favor of their new SL Marketplace. After the release of the SL Marketplace, they continued to support the ANS feature and even enhanced it some by redefining some of the values provided and reusing some that had fallen into disuse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the deal with the name change from SL Exchange to XStreet was due in part to the policy change during that time on how you could use "SL" and "Second Life" and friends. Up to that point, LL had pretty much allowed unrestricted use of their brand, or at least didn't enforce it.

Apotheus and partners renaming to XStreet was to bring it in line with the new policy.

LL did purchase OnRez as well, which definately had some great features going for it as well, but Electric Sheep at that point I think was just coasting, having been somewhat disenchanted with LL and had already started moving on to other ventures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No "SL" though. That was the point, getting rid of SL in the name. Sorry, that's nitpickery kind of but there it is. XStreet alone got around the icky bits in: http://secondlife.com/corporate/brand/trademark/reference.php and http://secondlife.com/corporate/brand/trademark/unauthorized.php

Edited to add more relevent restrictions.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the bottom avatar==>

 I opened a new market  ==>

merchant outbox tried to  ==>

There is not problem in the new my market  ==> 

but old my market  ==>

still the same old problem. ==>

Nothing has changed . ==>

merchant outbox does not work ==> 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Dark,

With the bottom avatar==>

I opened a new market  ==>

merchant outbox tried to  ==>

There is not problem in the new my market  ==>

but old my market  ==>

still the same old problem. ==>

Nothing has changed . ==>

merchant outbox does not work ==>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably better to keep this thread for ANS discussion than problems with Merchant Outbox, there are other threads that are more suited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Dartagan Shepherd wrote:

I think the deal with the name change from SL Exchange to XStreet was due in part to the policy change during that time on how you could use "SL" and "Second Life" and friends. Up to that point, LL had pretty much allowed unrestricted use of their brand, or at least didn't enforce it.

Apotheus and partners renaming to XStreet was to bring it in line with the new policy.

 

Yes - this is correct.

Back in 2008 a lot of product and business names had to be changed to remove "SL" and "Second Life" from their names, and SLX was one of them.

Extra irony points for (1) LL buying xStreet soon after (2) everyone ignoring this rule now anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Dartagan Shepherd wrote:

I think the deal with the name change from SL Exchange to XStreet was due in part to the policy change during that time on how you could use "SL" and "Second Life" and friends. Up to that point, LL had pretty much allowed unrestricted use of their brand, or at least didn't enforce it.

Apotheus and partners renaming to XStreet was to bring it in line with the new policy.

LL did purchase OnRez as well, which definately had some great features going for it as well, but Electric Sheep at that point I think was just coasting, having been somewhat disenchanted with LL and had already started moving on to other ventures.

Ok, now I'm getting confused.  I thought the site that SL purchased was XStreet - then morphed into SL Exchange (SLX) which morphed into The SL Marketplace.  XStreet was a separate entity until purchased by LL, therefore would not have had "SL" in its name at all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was called SL Exchange.

Notification was sent out that Linden Lab would begin enforcing their Trademarks on "SL" and would forbid access to the system for anyone using SL in their name without having 2 other terms included.

Apotheus changed the name to XstreetSL to comply with the requirements on the "SL" trademark.

Shortly after the name change, Linden Lab purchased both XstreetSL and Onrez.

OnRez was dead, for all intents and purposes, and the owners were had been trying to dump/sell the site for a year with no buyers.

Since XstreetSL was better established, with a larger user base, Onrez was shut down and XstreetSL was used as the basis to build a new Marketplace and migrated all of the XstreetSL users to the new system.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, it did have SL in the name, dug up the original post. It was renamed to XStreet SL (sorry Darrius) and the business strategy was to start expanding beyond SL to other grids and worlds, so the plan was for something like an XStreet SL,  XStreet InWorldz, etc.

The brand usage policy was what started the ball rolling, the plans to expand were already in the works and the policy helped that along.

Purchasing XStreet SL put an end to those plans and Apotheus was assimilated into the LL collective.

Original announcement: https://www.xstreetsl.com/forum_archive/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=66541

On the OnRez front, part of the reason we didn't see much of that code is because Electric Sheep was more involved with bringing corporate clients into SL and other platforms, than maintaining OnRez.

The last mess for them was when they brought in the TV Show CSI for CBS. They wrote a custom viewer and tried to prepare for the massive load except that LL dropped the ball working with Electric Sheep. I think CBS was less than impressed. I believe that was the last project they used SL for with their clients.

Electric Sheep went on to do a web based version of virtual worlds that could serve their corporate customers far better than SL. SL is still not capable of the basic needs for enterprise use and can't handle the load with avatars, etc.. Worse these days because the hardware sims are on is the same hardware as back then and there are more sims on them than there used to be

If memory serves only one person from Electric Sheep joined LL as an employee. The rest couldn't be bothered to be assimilated as they had bigger fish to fry with their corporate clients.

Which brings us to date with half of the ANS functionality and a buggier marketplace than either of the two they absorbed.

More irony points for Zanara.

Edit: Changed NBC to CBS (lack of caffine)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Jacob Cagney wrote:

It was called SL Exchange.

Notification was sent out that Linden Lab would begin enforcing their Trademarks on "SL" and would forbid access to the system for anyone using SL in their name without having 2 other terms included.

Apotheus changed the name to XstreetSL to comply with the requirements on the "SL" trademark.

Shortly after the name change, Linden Lab purchased both XstreetSL and Onrez.

OnRez was dead, for all intents and purposes, and the owners were had been trying to dump/sell the site for a year with no buyers.

Since XstreetSL was better established, with a larger user base, Onrez was shut down and XstreetSL was used as the basis to build a new Marketplace and migrated all of the XstreetSL users to the new system.

 

I remember when the trademark enforcement took place.  I was teaching in SL then and we had to be careful not to even use "SL" as part of our class content unless we added the tm to it.  So many things have changed, morphed, been discontinued since I began SL I start to lose track of them.  I recall the brewhaha when voice was introduced.  That was a hot topic on the old forums for quite awhile.

As for OnRez, my products actually did quite well on that site.  I was sorry to see it go but I do recall some issue with Electric Sheep, etc.

Thank you, Jacob & Dart for helping with my confusion. ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


cactusrose Windlow wrote:

will they fix dd for pheonix users?

how much longer will pll be allowed to use the magic boxes

some ppl like magic boxes better

Wrong topic for this, this topic is about ANS.

(it's not for LL to "fix" Phoenix, 1st June, tough because Direct Delivery is all that will be supported!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phoenix is old code and will most likely never be able to operate the Merchant Outbox function.

Do all your work in Phoenix, log on with Firestorm to upload using the Merchant Outbox; log back on with Phoenix.

Almost all your work can be done with your favorite viewer; you only need a newer viewer for the upload.

All your web browser work like uploading pictures, description/price changes, etc. is still done on your web browser and does not require the use of a newer viewer.

The Merchant Outbox Folder seen in any (Phoenix) Viewer is Only A Folder, when using an old viewer. You will not see your sales items "sitting" in that folder no matter what Viewer you use. It is only a 'staging folder' and once uploaded, your products will not be found in that folder no matter what viewer you are on.

Magic Boxs were great for me; but I like not having to rent land or a place to keep a magic box and no failed deliveries just because the SIM it was rezzed on had to restart...

Comment on / off topic / thread... I used to follow blogs when our Desktop used to show the most current topics of discussion, I used to do my best to help answer questions, I used to try to keep on topic of the Original Post... Now; I can not find the same blogs I used to post in; I have no idea what is currently of concern... I almost never see new topics show in the current Desktop Display - This newer Forum / Blog style is dissappointing to me. If I want to look up old answers I can go to the Wiki - I want a new interface on my Desktop again, which shows me the latest posts of people asking questions, so it will be easier to be useful in the Forums again.... ☻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, wondering if I might get some help...

On the wiki concerning ANS for DD, it says there are some 3rd parties that offer ANS processing services. I've tried searching for these, but can't seem to find anything... could anybody advise about these?

I do have a domain myself for my RL work, but am useless when it comes to website design (probably need to pull my finger out and get my head around it some day.. lol). As far as I understand, you have to add the bit of code at the bottom of the page to the html for the website? http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Direct_Delivery_and_Automatic_Notification_System

Thanks, Swith ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Cyneswith Luik wrote:

Hi, wondering if I might get some help...

On the wiki concerning ANS for DD, it says there are some 3rd parties that offer ANS processing services. I've tried searching for these, but can't seem to find anything... could anybody advise about these?

I do have a domain myself for my RL work, but am useless when it comes to website design (probably need to pull my finger out and get my head around it some day.. lol). As far as I understand, you have to add the bit of code at the bottom of the page to the html for the website? 

Thanks, Swith
;)

At present, you configure a web page URL that will receive the data, what you do in that web page is up to you!

Many will just log the data, some of the vending systems available will receive this data, you'd need to check with their documentation in order to determine suitability.

Obvious question would be, what is it that you want to do with the data sent to your ANS processor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's still impossible to turn ANS on or off on specific items in the marketplace. Or delivery notification for that matter.

 

This means people with a few items they want to track, and 100 sales a day of freebies/cheapies they don't want tracked, have their email box fill up and stall once a week from the spam and some product simply discountinued garantee or updates because of it --- others decided to remove well-loved but low income products builders have been relying on for over 5 years, so that they could track their important products as needed.

 

The database, however, can be set to ignore the unwanted 'delivery notice spam' but the bandwidth is still being paid often x1000 what it should be (not to mention Linden Labs pays for that and charges indirectly for it, too) so merchants are being stolen a few % of revenue...

 

...but for delivery notices sent to email? Still spammed to hell and back. Gmail filters can't handle it because of the format they come under for some products, and my signal to noise ratio in my email box today was 1 to 573...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2336 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...