why does my bench say "No room to sit here"?

Ruben Bunjie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1384 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

Probably because it doesn't have a good place to sit, at least not the way you're trying.  Good furniture has a scripted sit target in it, so that there's no question about where you end up regardless of where you click on it.  Furniture that has no scripted sit target can be chancy.  If it's made of "normal" prims, you have to click from the proper angle and at a spot that is wide enough for you to sit on.  Otherwise, you find yourself sitting on the arm of a chair or the back of a sofa --- or getting a message that says you can't sit there.  Sculpty furniture can be even worse, because its bounding box can block you from sitting at all if the creator hasn't put a scripted sit target in it. 

• Like 2

You might be to far away.

Your avatar might be standing to the side, or at angle that will move your avatar to far in order to sit.

Try standing in front of were you want to sit, face the object, place your cursor were you want to sit, click on the right mouse button, choose sit here.

1 hour ago, VirtualKitten said:

Did you find a answer?

The answer is exactly as I phrased it for the OP in 2012.  Unless you have scripted a sit target in your object, the physics engine will try to seat anyone at the spot where the person clicked on it.  Unless you are pretty lucky or have designed well, chances are good that the object's physics shape at that spot won't allow someone to sit.  The solution is always to define a sit target rather than leaving it to chance.  ;) 

EDIT:   Since your script is defining several sit targets, my guess is that they are either too close together to allow more than one person to sit or, possibly, you have defined more than one target on the same link.  You can sometimes manage to seat more than one person on the same link, but only if you move the first person out of the way and still have room for a second one.  It's usually easier to seat additional people on other links, using llLinkSitTarget and llAvatarOnLinkSitTarget.

BTW, this is a resident-to-resident forum.  Lindens rarely come here and respond even less often.  

Edited by Rolig Loon
Cleaner wording
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, VirtualKitten said:

I know this is an old thread but did you get it fixed I have an identical message bugging me my script is multi sit and sets a new llSitTarget for each sitter  my physics are here https://gyazo.com/b84b5f01e2377de0292e793125097a04 I dont use pose balls either but am stuck with this silly message "No Room to it" Did you find a answer?

Nothing got "fixed". Those are just the rules.  

BUT if you use AVsitter (now free) you need one prim (or mesh object) for EACH person sitting and the target goes to the individual prims. So that might be part of your problem -- referencing the same prim for several people.   If you haven't used AVsitter, I suggest you try it. It is the standard and has been for OH SO MANY YEARS :D.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, VirtualKitten said:

I know this is an old thread but did you get it fixed I have an identical message bugging me my script is multi sit and sets a new llSitTarget for each sitter  my physics are here https://gyazo.com/b84b5f01e2377de0292e793125097a04 I dont use pose balls either but am stuck with this silly message "No Room to it" Did you find a answer?

If you do set a sit target on a link, it will only seat one avatar on that link, and setting a sit target again on that link will only replace the previous setting, applicable the next time an avatar is first to sit on that link.

If you do not set a sit target (or clear any sit targets already set), a link may be able to seat multiple avatars, but it's very unpredictable, and can even depend on the viewer camera angle where the sitter is trying to choose a seat.

If the design can possibly support separate sit targets on separate links, it's much easier and more reliable. (And AVsitter certainly is one furniture posing engine that makes all that transparent, as long as there are enough links to accommodate all sitters.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1384 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.