Jump to content

Is Second Life only about sex?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 156 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts


Zeta Zemach wrote:

These are the first images I saw when I opened Second Life today.

I really don't have an issue with the lower image, the girl's naughty bits are covered and she is not overtly sexual, rather she looks quiet carefree. You will see far more in RL at a gym or on the beach.

 

Rape RP is, for some unfortunately, a big part of their SL. But, this must be understood, it is
roleplay
and is legal under US law, therefore you can expect to see it. If you find it offensive I suggest turning off adult content.

It makes me sad and -yes angry. Is this really the image Second Life wants? 

At this point I think, beyond what they are obliged to do, LL much cares as long as the TOS are not violated.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What makes me angry is the underlying message: that women are always cute, sexy and horny -and even rapable.

I'm perfectectly aware that this is roleplay, but it doesn't make me less appalled -does it have to be on the welcome screen?

I'm reacting against the general perception of women in SL, but hey sex sells.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first two pictures: Why the hell has this person A rated content turned ON when he/she is actually pretty prude and gets angry and easily offended by sexual content of every kind? (Notice: The picture on the left is simply about sex. Nothing else.)

So are you that suprised to find sexual content under A rated search results?

The second picture: Now you would make me angry, because this picture is beautiful and has nothing to do with sexism at all. Its a god damn fairy and shes dressed like a typical fairy....and she is wearing not less than what the usual woman wears when going to the beach. If thats already too much for you, you should move to an arabic country, where women aren't allowed to show their body at all.

And for me, thats worse than any use of females in advertising.

 

And you can't change SL, because its influenced by the real world. You would have to stop the use of pretty and low-dressed women in advertising in the real world first to end it in SL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I knew that I would get these kind of angry reactions.

My point is that female bodyimage in SL in general is stereotyped and gives the impression that: (and I'm repeating myself) women are always avaible, cute and sexy. 

I don't mind people looking sexy -and I don't think avatars should dress like amish, this is NOT my point. -what I'm looking for is diversity.

It's almost like sexiness is the norm in SL -Occasionally I'm contacted by men who wants to offer me a more sexy avatar.

As for having A rated content turned on -it gives me the opportunity to participate in events or go to clubs. Besides that I don't explore A-rated sims. However seeing these images has definitely made me change my mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Rival Destiny wrote:


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:


Syo Emerald wrote:

That reminds me of the avatar I used to avoid any kind of flirting and dumb guys asking for sex. I was a tiny black toaster. I had tiny legs to walk, a cable as a tail and I could even fly with some tiny white wings. Most people were simply to confused on what they saw. It was.....the ultimate peace, but also a little boring, cause dancing was notthing a toaster can do.

 

But SL is not only about sex.....I wouldn't be here if that were the case....I spend all my time here on other things.

I have that av!!! its from Grendels. we should tangle cords sometime. :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

omg that's hilarious ...

Imagines you all populating the grid with baby appiances.  The ACDC jokes will be endless!!

Dirty deeds, done dirt cheap?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Zeta Zemach wrote:

I knew that I would get these kind of angry reactions.

So, why did you post it? Ah yes, just like the rest of your posts.. to get attention.

My point is that female body image in SL in general is stereotyped and gives the impression that: (and I'm repeating myself) women are always available, cute and sexy. 

So aren't men in SL.. I get hit on while shopping for clothing. Hell i got hit on as a 12 foot tall Minotaur...

I don't mind people looking sexy -and I don't think avatars should dress like Amish, this is NOT my point. -what I'm looking for is diversity.

Try looking around a bit more.. There is so much diversity in SL it is stunning.

It's almost like sexiness is the norm in SL -Occasionally I'm contacted by men who wants to offer me a more sexy avatar.

SL is the ideal world.. Do you really think if it was free, people in RL wouldn't jump at the chance to become a "beautiful person" with a the perfect body?

As for having A rated content turned on -it gives me the opportunity to participate in events or go to clubs. Besides that I don't explore A-rated sims. However seeing these images has definitely made me change my mind.

You don't need A-rated sims for events.. You better not go to them, might see some scantily clad people making out and dirty dancing.. Ever see the movie Footloose? You remind me of the city council.

Just a quick bone to pick.. You are part of the "occupy wall street secondlife" group. If you had a clue as to how much those idiots cost hard working taxpayers with there idiocy, i would hope you wouldn't support them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nikolaiwarden/7166195875/in/photostream/

Although I change my skin and shape frequently that above photo is my usual look. Certainly not a babe, some have called it ugly, some not. Regardless of how I look, I get hit on if I venture into straight sims or venues. It's not about the appearance of an avatar. MOST of the male avatars I see are plain and some are downright ugly. That doesn't stop their girlfriends from being insanely jealous if, Heaven forbid, my crosshairs alight on them. It's not about appearance, it's about neediness, libido, what have you.

Regarding definitions in modern culture, in many countries around the world, the prevalent thinking for the last 40 years has been that women have the right to express themselves how they choose and how they dress and present themselves is no excuse to treat them badly. That old saw "look at the way she was dressed, she was asking for it" hasn't been considered valid other than in the most oppressive and reactionary locations in a long time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:


Zeta Zemach wrote:

I knew that I would get these kind of angry reactions.

So, why did you post it? Ah yes, just like the rest of your posts.. to get attention.

 

Uhmm yes -you're absolutely right...that's it. I'm craving for attention

 

 

 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

First the picture of the fairy is not anything like the other two.  I see more flesh on a typical summer day at the pool.  When Disney created Tinkerbell in 1953 they put her in a strapless mini dress.  Very risqué for that time period.  Animator Marc Davis' personification of her as a winged pixie with a very womanly figure was widely criticized as too sexually suggestive by Barrie purists, especially after it was rumored that she was modeled after actress Marilyn Monroe.  Here is one of the original animation cells.  Note the bare back, and not exactly "modest" pose.

tink4.gif

While there is a lot of things in SL that I personally find offensive, it is not up to me to interfere with what two consenting adults choose to do. SL is about the freedom to be who you want to be.  If on segment all of the sudden gets censored, its a slippery slope that could lead to the total grid being G rated because there is always someone that will be offended by something.

I also don't understand your statement about having to have Adult content turned on because of club events. The fact that you go to Adult clubs but are offended by adult content doesn't make much sense to me, or is it that only the Adult content that YOU enjoy should be allowed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

First the picture of the fairy is not anything like the other two.  I see more flesh on a typical summer day at the pool.  When Disney created Tinkerbell in 1953 they put her in a strapless mini dress.  Very risqué for that time period. 
Animator Marc Davis' personification of her as a winged pixie with a very womanly figure was widely criticized as too sexually suggestive by Barrie purists, especially after it was rumored that she was modeled after actress Marilyn Monroe.  Here is one of the original animation cells.  Note the bare back, and not exactly
"modest" pose.

While there is a lot of things in SL that I personally find offensive, it is not up to me to interfere with what two consenting adults choose to do. SL is about the freedom to be who you want to be.  If on segment all of the sudden gets censored, its a slippery slope that could lead to the total grid being G rated because there is always someone that will be offended by something.

I also don't understand your statement about having to have Adult content turned on because of club events. The fact that you go to Adult clubs but are offended by adult content doesn't make much sense to me, or is it that only the Adult content that YOU enjoy should be allowed?

When I posted the picture of the fairy -it was meant as a general comment on the stereotypes of female avatars.

Apparently SL is not the right place to discuss gender roles or gender stereotypes -I got it. However I'm still allowed to voice my opinion on this issue. 

As for the Adult content -I've been to a club a couple of times -this is not what this debate is about. Can we move on please?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Syo Emerald wrote:

 

So are you that suprised to find sexual content under A rated search results?


I think sometimes the use of the term "adult" causes confusion.  It gets used euphemistically for sexual content and not every one has that in the forefront of their thinking when they use the word.

In SL, sex is a primary focus of the word "adult."

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Perrie Juran wrote:


Syo Emerald wrote:

 

So are you that suprised to find sexual content under A rated search results?


I think sometimes the use of the term "adult" causes confusion.  It gets used euphemistically for sexual content and not every one has that in the forefront of their thinking when they use the word.

In SL, sex is a primary focus of the word "adult."

Its a rating, isn't it? Not really a content category like "shopping", "hangout" and others which can be used in SL to sort out places. And like in the real world ratings are used when there is content not right for certain age groups. And what content is that usually? Besides violence often sexual content.

So for me its pretty logical that if there is a rating system, the highest category, limited to (more or less) verified adults will contain sexual content of any kind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Zeta Zemach wrote:

When I posted the picture of the fairy -it was meant as a general comment on the stereotypes of female avatars.

Apparently SL is not the right place to discuss gender roles or gender stereotypes -I got it. However I'm still allowed to voice my opinion on this issue. 

As for the Adult content -I've been to a club a couple of times -this is not what this debate is about. Can we move on please?

Given that female avatars are created by their owners and engage in the behaviors that they do voluntarily,  you can't draw any conclusion about stereotyping females in SL.  Stereotyping is about generalizing particular characteristics of one in a class to everyone in the class.  That is not what is going on in SL.  The only thing going on in SL is that given the choice many people want to look a certain way and some, but not all, act out their darker fantasies.  If a woman could ONLY choose to look sexy, than that would be stereotyping.  But that isn't the case.  You can look any way you choose to look.  If you want to create an avatar that is fat and homely, that is your choice and if anyone has a problem with it, it is their problem not yours.

You are allowed to voice your opinion all you'd like as long as you understand that everyone who replies to your post also has that right.    You are makinjg the common mistake some posters make that when the majority of people disagree with you they are suppressing your opinion and go off in a huff. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Amethyst Jetaime wrote:


Zeta Zemach wrote:

When I posted the picture of the fairy -it was meant as a general comment on the stereotypes of female avatars.

Apparently SL is not the right place to discuss gender roles or gender stereotypes -I got it. However I'm still allowed to voice my opinion on this issue. 

As for the Adult content -I've been to a club a couple of times -this is not what this debate is about. Can we move on please?

Given that female avatars are created by their owners and engage in the behaviors that they do voluntarily,  you can't draw any conclusion about stereotyping females in SL.  Stereotyping is about generalizing particular characteristics of one in a class to everyone in the class.  That is not what is going on in SL.  The only thing going on in SL is that given the choice many people want to look a certain way and some, but not all, act out their darker fantasies.  If a woman could ONLY choose to look sexy, than that would be stereotyping.  But that isn't the case.  You can look any way you choose to look.  If you want to create an avatar that is fat and homely, that is your choice and if anyone has a problem with it, it is their problem not yours.

And this is what I find interesting: when people can choose any shape or outfit they want -the majority will most likely choose gender stereotypes. I'm not accusing anyone -I'm just wondering why

You are allowed to voice your opinion all you'd like as long as you understand that everyone who replies to your post also has that right.    You are makinjg the common mistake some posters make that when the majority of people disagree with you they are suppressing your opinion and go off in a huff. 

No -I'm still here and I'm not going anywhere. Of course the majority in SL disagrees with me, this is no surprise to me.  I do have friends in SL who shares my opinion. Apparently my opinion really seems to rub your feathers. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Syo Emerald wrote:


Perrie Juran wrote:


Syo Emerald wrote:

 

So are you that suprised to find sexual content under A rated search results?


I think sometimes the use of the term "adult" causes confusion.  It gets used euphemistically for sexual content and not every one has that in the forefront of their thinking when they use the word.

In SL, sex is a primary focus of the word "adult."

Its a rating, isn't it? Not really a content category like "shopping", "hangout" and others which can be used in SL to sort out places. And like in the real world ratings are used when there is content not right for certain age groups. And what content is that usually? Besides violence often sexual content.

So for me its pretty logical that if there is a rating system, the highest category, limited to (more or less) verified adults will contain sexual content of any kind.

I was just making a general observation that not everyone automatically thinks 'sex' when they read the word 'adult.'

But you are right about it being a rating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Zeta Zemach wrote:

I have been in Seoond Life for about a year now  (actually I have been there for 5 years, but I had a 4 year break and came back about a year ago) and it gets more and more clear to me that Second Life primarily is about sex and partnerships, and I often find the gender roles to be overly sexy and overly romantic. I know I'm stepping on somebodys toes here
:(

Im not interested in neither and for that reason I'm wondering if there is any future for me in SL. What I found was a lot of needy men who would defriend me as soon as they realized that I was serious about not having sex or relationships.

I'm in SL because I'm interested in virtual worlds and I like to talk to people from all over the world

What do you think? Does it make any sense to be in SL if you dont want to have sex or doesn't believe in SL relationsships??

 

I can see where you get this idea from but my you havent been out exploring in the right places if you feel this is so. I dont have slex on here and I have plenty of make friends who still talk to me. Yes I have lost the ocassion male friend because I didnt bump uglies with him but then they werent really friends to begin with. One could say that is all life is about if you put it this way. I encourage you to branch out. Look for the more sophisticated sims where there is less of a chance to find that sort of person. I am also anti relationship as well. It can be found and not that hard actually. Good luck sweetie

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Sephina Frostbite wrote:


Zeta Zemach wrote:

I have been in Seoond Life for about a year now  (actually I have been there for 5 years, but I had a 4 year break and came back about a year ago) and it gets more and more clear to me that Second Life primarily is about sex and partnerships, and I often find the gender roles to be overly sexy and overly romantic. I know I'm stepping on somebodys toes here
:(

Im not interested in neither and for that reason I'm wondering if there is any future for me in SL. What I found was a lot of needy men who would defriend me as soon as they realized that I was serious about not having sex or relationships.

I'm in SL because I'm interested in virtual worlds and I like to talk to people from all over the world

What do you think? Does it make any sense to be in SL if you dont want to have sex or doesn't believe in SL relationsships??

 

I can see where you get this idea from but my you havent been out exploring in the right places if you feel this is so. I dont have slex on here and I have plenty of make friends who still talk to me. Yes I have lost the ocassion male friend because I didnt bump uglies with him but then they werent really friends to begin with. One could say that is all life is about if you put it this way. I encourage you to branch out. Look for the more sophisticated sims where there is less of a chance to find that sort of person. I am also anti relationship as well. It can be found and not that hard actually. Good luck sweetie

Not directed at you Sephina, but I like the points you raise. I have had a very intense sexual experience in SL from the 7th day here, 11 months on with my Master, I have found beyond my relationship I am.. I hope.. Normal..I get hit on all the time, heck I have had someone offer my Master a lot of RL money for me.. SL is as real and sexual as you want it to be, when it is augmented with skype or any VOIP program it becomes more so.. Its a personal choice and these comments that go along the lines of "Well SL is thus and I hate it" are made in a vacuum and should be disregarded for the meaningless trash that they are. RL brings us together, true love here is possible, I know I have found it

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Zeta Zemach wrote:


And this is what I find interesting: when people can choose any shape or outfit they want -the majority will most likely choose gender stereotypes. I'm not accusing anyone -I'm just wondering why


Could you please define what gender stereotypes you mean?

From my 7.5 years in SL i have see and found just about every type of person i think there is.. i have yet to find a single overall look for any gender.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Leia36 wrote:


Sephina Frostbite wrote:


Zeta Zemach wrote:

I have been in Seoond Life for about a year now  (actually I have been there for 5 years, but I had a 4 year break and came back about a year ago) and it gets more and more clear to me that Second Life primarily is about sex and partnerships, and I often find the gender roles to be overly sexy and overly romantic. I know I'm stepping on somebodys toes here
:(

Im not interested in neither and for that reason I'm wondering if there is any future for me in SL. What I found was a lot of needy men who would defriend me as soon as they realized that I was serious about not having sex or relationships.

I'm in SL because I'm interested in virtual worlds and I like to talk to people from all over the world

What do you think? Does it make any sense to be in SL if you dont want to have sex or doesn't believe in SL relationsships??

 

I can see where you get this idea from but my you havent been out exploring in the right places if you feel this is so. I dont have slex on here and I have plenty of make friends who still talk to me. Yes I have lost the ocassion male friend because I didnt bump uglies with him but then they werent really friends to begin with. One could say that is all life is about if you put it this way. I encourage you to branch out. Look for the more sophisticated sims where there is less of a chance to find that sort of person. I am also anti relationship as well. It can be found and not that hard actually. Good luck sweetie

Not directed at you Sephina, but I like the points you raise. I have had a very intense sexual experience in SL from the 7th day here, 11 months on with my Master, I have found beyond my relationship I am.. I hope.. Normal..I get hit on all the time, heck I have had someone offer my Master a lot of RL money for me.. SL is as real and sexual as you want it to be, when it is augmented with skype or any VOIP program it becomes more so.. Its a personal choice and these comments that go along the lines of "Well SL is thus and I hate it" are made in a vacuum and should be disregarded for the meaningless trash that they are. RL brings us together, true love here is possible, I know I have found it

Oh I agree love can be found on sl. I had found my love however a week befote we were to be wed he died and I attended his funeral instead of our wedding. Its just not common and sadly there are more scammers or so it seems that lure innocent hopefuls.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

*nods.. Time makes the difference, trust after 11 months.. Full disclosure, and no running away.. I would go into greater detail but it would be revealing .. It is possible lol there are SL babies in RL.. I am so sorry yours did that to you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 156 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...