Is Second Life only about sex?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 232 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Perrie Juran wrote:

This appears to me to be saying that these female Ava's are really gay men logged in as women for the purpose of having pixel sex with other men.  And given the number of "I'm a **bleep**, please use me type" female Avatars we see, it would make for a very large number of people doing it.  I am not saying it doesn't happen, but 99% would seem to me to be an extremely high number.

I said nothing at all about gay or bisexual. The 99% was indeed arbitrary but intentionally meant to be a huge percentage number, because like Dillon, I have never seen a RL woman be able to go straight to sex without getting that little bit of bonding in beforehand.. never, and that includes myself. The "warmup" I referred to isn't about sexual excitement, it's about bonding or warming up to the person, focused on the individual and not the act. It's an extra filter we have and an emotional response that's *nearly always* a needed precursor to the act for women (think: greenlight at the intersection). This is why I suggested that those who can dive right in cold (note: i said cold, not fast) are *nearly always* going to be men in RL, because men can do that quite easily and women have a most difficult time with it. This also doesn't refer to all those who may be doing that because they're just RPing these things for benign entertainment. Obviously not everyone's the same and there's always exceptions to the norm, but that's also a given and shouldn't need to be mentioned like a disclaimer.

Dana Hickman wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

This appears to me to be saying that these female Ava's are really gay men logged in as women for the purpose of having pixel sex with other men.  And given the number of "I'm a **bleep**, please use me type" female Avatars we see, it would make for a very large number of people doing it.  I am not saying it doesn't happen, but 99% would seem to me to be an extremely high number.

I said nothing at all about gay or bisexual. The 99% was indeed arbitrary but intentionally meant to be a huge percentage number, because like Dillon, I have
never
seen a RL woman be able to go straight to sex without getting that little bit of bonding in beforehand.. never, and that includes myself. The "warmup" I referred to isn't about sexual excitement, it's about bonding or warming up to the person, focused on the individual and not the act. It's an extra filter we have and an emotional response that's *nearly always* a needed precursor to the act for women (think: greenlight at the intersection). This is why I suggested that those who can dive right in cold (note: i said cold, not fast) are *nearly always* going to be men in RL, because men can do that quite easily and women have a most difficult time with it. This also doesn't refer to all those who may be doing that because they're just RPing these things for benign entertainment. Obviously not everyone's the same and there's always exceptions to the norm, but that's also a given and shouldn't need to be mentioned like a disclaimer.

I guess my personal aversion to randomly throwing out large numbers comes in to play here.

The entire discussion of relationships in SL is a interesting one because there can be so many factors behind the scenes that we oftentimes don't know.  But you are right, men and women still basically respond in certain ways and there are certain norms that really we don't see much deviation from.

I agree,  this really depends on the person, situation, and mood.

There's that saying,  "Women need a reason, Men just need a place" ~ but,  as with any sterotype -- nothing is 100%.

Never say never,  never say always and never speak for everyone :-)

Cali Souther wrote:

There's that saying,  "Women need a reason, Men just need a place" ~ but,  as with any sterotype -- nothing is 100%.

There is also a cliche that "A man will sleep with any woman who lets him and a woman can sleep with any man she wants to."

But it is just a cliche.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

and i still have not met a female avatar who would sleep with a Martian.

Don't give up—she's out there somewhere :-)

martians.jpg

I should have been specific.

I still have not met a HUMAN female avatar who would sleep with a Martian.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Cali Souther wrote:

There is also a cliche that "A man will sleep with any woman who lets him and
a woman can sleep with any man she wants to
."

But it is just a cliche.

Yeah, I do wish that one was more true.! LOL

Cali Souther wrote:

This really struck me as true. Thank you. Amen and pass the basket.

Dana Hickman wrote:

I said nothing at all about gay or bisexual. The 99% was indeed arbitrary but intentionally meant to be a huge percentage number, because like Dillon, I have
never
seen a RL woman be able to go straight to sex without getting that little bit of bonding in beforehand.

Pff, my uncle is former pro wrestler who traveled over the world with his job in the 90's and early 2000s.  He told me a lot of stories over the years, and lets just say there were more than enough female groupies who offerred themselves without even that much work.  I think it depends on the enviroment where you meet people.

honerken wrote:

Dana Hickman wrote:

never
seen a RL woman be able to go straight to sex without getting that little bit of bonding in beforehand.

Pff, my uncle is former pro wrestler who traveled over the world with his job in the 90's and early 2000s.  He told me a lot of stories over the years, and lets just say there were more than enough female groupies who offerred themselves without even that much work.  I think it depends on the enviroment where you meet people.

Could part of it be that they have already bonded mentally.  They have fantasized about the moment.  So when the moment arrives they are already there?

Perrie Juran wrote:

honerken wrote:

Dana Hickman wrote:

never

Could part of it be that they have already bonded mentally.  They have fantasized about the moment.  So when the moment arrives they are already there?

I think there's truth in that, Perrie. Infatuation doesn't require reciprocation.

I've a good RL friend who's got a 16 year old daughter who is breaking hearts at lightning speed these days. My seventeen year old neighbor says the girls in his class are "voracious". My college's basketball team had no trouble finding Friday night fun. While the last of those three examples mirrors Honerken's story, I think that maybe a bit less than 99% of (young) women require a lot of advance work (even fantasized) before hopping in the sack. I've seen quite a few adults (both men and women) act like teenagers around here ;-)

Some posts back, I wondered about the success rate for men who hit-up hard and fast in SL. In the personality thread, we already identified that SL draws the atypical. SL also allows atypical (for RL) behavior. I think that makes it at least a little more difficult to draw parallels between SL and RL.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

honerken wrote:

Dana Hickman wrote:

never

I think there's truth in that, Perrie. Infatuation doesn't require reciprocation.

It is also said that "hell hath no fury like a woman spurned."

Could this be one of the reasons we sometimes see not only celebrities but even also everyday folks falsely accused of sexual assault?

Perrie Juran wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

honerken wrote:

Dana Hickman wrote:

never

Could this be one of the reasons we sometimes see not only celebrities but even also everyday folks falsely accused of sexual assault?

I'm sure self delusion and the human predilection for vengeance explain all manner of false accusations. I don't think that's gender specific.

misery.jpg

I'm sure self delusion and the human predilection for vengeance explain all manner of false accusations. I don't think that's gender specific.

I agree, it's not limited to one gender. 

But I couldn't resist posting the picture.  :D

Perrie Juran wrote:

misery.jpg

I agree, it's not limited to one gender. 

But I couldn't resist posting the picture. 
:D

Leave me out of this!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I too feel this way. I'm not into any of that sexual stuff either..but for a man I don't get ims asking for it either. The problem that I have with is this:

1: you find a place with 20-30 people and th gen chat is dead. All the people have coupled up and are grinding their "little" pixles together and not interested in what anyone saying

2: te moment I get tired of talking to myself in gen chat and decide to I'm someone... it get defensive FAST....it get away cree..I'm take/busy...stop being an A-hole.. and on and on. So yes I think people are useing this as alternitive to getting rl sex. So I go fishing bymysef and ride windsails...and sit at the bar listing to music..

No indeed, I am in a new relationship in SL. Sex included. I think it all depends on who you partner, just like in RL. If you are unable to bridge the gap between RL and SL sex then It is probably better to have an AV that reflects that. Also this partnership that I am In may lead to a RL relationship. And that's a powerful tool for people to use when it comes to dating, courting whatever. I will live with him in SL for a year or two before I allow any RL contact. That way I have an idea of what he is like domestically.

I know I know, I can here the shouts from across the room, I know it can be dangerous, I said a year not next week :)

Besides that the sex In SL is good but not like RL, and If he wants me in RL then he better be prepared to put in the time in SL.

And to all the naysayer, who will undoubtedly tell me here that I should go out in RL looking, Indeed I have and still do, but SL is nice for a girl for a few reasons not the least of which is looking great all the time, and being able to block/mute the little trolls who follow you when you're shopping or hanging out. And to those who ignore my profile and keep on hitting on me, I use the same methods I use in RL and they work in SL just as well.

Zeta

There is a way to put off 90% of the sex seekers: uglify yourself. 

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/MaranDesigns-skins-Skin-shape-grandma/247671

My opinion: Sex is not the life but sex ist part of every life, the first and the second. However in both lifes there are poeple who chose not to have sex - fair enough, their loss.

About SL just being about sex? No, I don't think so. It just seams that way because most people in SL do have sex, but that doesnt mean they are in SL just because of that. The waste majority of poeple are in Sl to build stuff or to create something. Sex is just an add-on.

I am having sex in SL. I am having fun doing it and I am probably more sexually active than the average SL resident. But its certainly not the reason I am in SL. If it was banned tommorrow I still would be in second life....(but I would miss that part).

Syo Emerald wrote:

You may laugh, but a while back I brought a toaster avatar for exactly that reason. When I want real peace, I switch to the toaster.

watch out cause i know there is at least one avatar that plays toast lol

i saw him last year  hehehe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 232 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.