Is Second Life only about sex?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Based on volume, range, model detail & complexity of shoes compared to all other items, rebranding SL as "Shoe Life" makes a lot of sense .... might actually kill the weird sex stigma once and for

I thought relogging restored your virginity

Sex and gachas.

Posted Images

I can only shake my head at these threads and more so that someone dug one up.

There are many interest groups that don't include sex, driving groups, flying groups, sailing/boating groups, riding groups, and I am sure equestrian groups as well. Oh, and there is roleplay in Second Life as well.

I think people finding only sex are looking in all the wrong places.

• Like 1

M'kay so ....

A thread made n 2012 by someone who couldn't be bothered to go out looking for things to do, who only managed to pay attention to one type of entertainment is revived two years after the final post .... by someone who not only has the same traits as the OP but who makes it rather clear that they expect others to provide them with entertainment ....

Go out and find something to do - be it poking around older builds, club hopping ... something.

You are using the wrong software if you're expecting others to provide you with entertainment/things to do.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, a NINE YEAR OLD THREAD. But to be fair, when I first joined SL I also got the the impression that SL was little more than a sweaty hentai playground, a place where fifty year olds explore the frustrations and yearnings of puberty all over again. Clothing options in SL MP certainly support that. And nine years later, not much except the technology has changed. People are still people.

The omnipresence of sex in SL used to annoy me, until I realized that RL is the same. Sex sells, so advertising, TV and film, video games, print media and social media... there's a lot of sexual or titillating content nearly everywhere we turn. Art imitates life / SL imitates RL.

And I began to appreciate SL as a place that people can safely explore sides of themselves when it may not be possible or preferable to do so in RL. LGBTQ people in conservative areas can come to SL to freely be themselves. People with disabilities can come to SL and let their mind experience what their bodies may not be able to. From this perspective, sexual content in SL becomes a wonderful and healing thing. 

There is far, far more to SL than just the sexual content. Yes, that sexual content catches our eyes, but after a while you learn to look past it. I still roll my eyes at some of the sexual content that doesn't match my interests and preferences, and that's really the issue, isn't it? We all have different tastes, preferences, wants, needs, and hormone levels, so are all looking for something different. I'm glad that what I like in RL is available to me, and don't begrudge the existence of people coming to SL because it's a safer place.

Having said all that, another way that SL imitates RL is the existence of predators. My female alt in SL has been hit on, chased, spied on, and stalked by jerks. I hate it, and it has impacted my RL awareness and perspective. I hope that these jerks are another example of using SL to express themselves in ways that they would not in RL. Maybe these people, and those around them, live safer and happier lives because an SL outlet exists for tendencies that would be dangerous in RL.

Yes, the sexual stuff in SL is often annoying and distracting, but don't let it prevent you from enjoying everything else that SL has to offer. 

Edited by Waialae
context
  • Like 1
On 2/16/2021 at 3:53 PM, LongJohn Frenzy said:

What I don't see, is any actual talk about what there is to do, outside of romancing, coupling and screwing. I have been to art sims, and sims that recreate beautiful seaside resorts, and reconstructions of New York, London, and other cities. They tend to be empty of people (except London--where strangers can meet up and verify RL gender with voice--hmmm).

For all year stuff, Raglan Shire usually has stuff going on and the ArtWalk is a big public event.

The mega events for RFL are usually busy, including active groups and activities like hunts, parties, roleplay, classes... what depends on the event. Home and Garden is right now. Fantasy Faire is late April. SciFi Con is mid May. I can never remember what weekend RFL itself happens and people run the track, but someone'll remind me nearer the time.

The official Second Life birthday event also happens in summer.

Plus events and hunts run by smaller groups and businesses. I tend to do one or two of those in autumn, after the rest is done. Between making items for events and attending, I don't get bored.

• Like 1
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.