Jump to content

Is Second Life only about sex?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

That's because your understanding is limited. I talked about my observations. It's your problem if you don't like them, but disliking doesn't mean disproving. I've yet to see anyone producing convincing evidence to contradict what I say. What you guys write is the product of your vivid imagination about who I am and how I live my second and real lives. I find it extremely funny that people like you spend their time formulating scenarios rather than actually gathering evidence. Next time you mention rational discussion look at your comments to see how it is *not* done.

Cheers,

Jezza

Link to comment
Share on other sites


jclarkson wrote:

First of all, I'm surprised at the response my first and subsequent comments have drawn. It's not only the amount but also the style of responses that makes it obvious you guys are interested in a fight rather than a discussion.
 

@ Perrie,

I sail and fly too so I know about this side of SL. I also know about scripting, bulding stuff etc. So the only new thing I've learned from you is your theories about myself. You can have as many and as crazy theories about me as you want. But I'm simply not interested in them.

 

@ Syo,

Let me make this absolutely clear: your comments are full of opinions regarding me. So next time you talk about bias take a look at your comments to see exactly what it is you are talking about.

 

@ Madeleine,

You have not provided evidence to counter my argument. The breakdown of the regions by rating doesn't say anything really since I'm talking about the number of people, not the number of regions. You could have a trillion sims rated "General" and all that trillion be empty all the time. On the other hand you've got a handful of adult and moderate sims that draw massive amounts of people and are packed 24/7. Take a look at a list of the 50 most popular sims and check their ratings and their names.

Lastly, I do not contradict myself at all. I find it sad that all they want is to behave like clots, but at the same time their behavior is ridiculously funny.

 

Sims rental fees don't evaporate if they are empty. So, your trillion empty sims would generate revenue of $2.4 quadrillion dollars/year for LL (let's presume $200/mo/sim). That sets the bar very high for sex related revenue to exceed (to be that "vast majority" you claimed). I don't think you are helping your argument.

LL's revenue in 2011 was estimated (only LL knows for sure) at about $75 million. It may have grown since then, it's hard to say. There are currently 27,000 sims active. At $200/mo/sim, that becomes $65million/yr. So it seems (as one would expect) that the bulk of LL's revenues are from server rental.

Of those 27,000 sims, 4136 are rated adult. That's 15% of SL's primary revenue source coming from sims allowing sexual content and activities. That's a long way from your "vast majority". If you wish to make this an economic argument, you must explain why people who pay tier on G or M sims spend all their time on A sims, or violate TOS at home. Otherwise you must make a case for renters not having sex, or sexually active people not renting, or a mix of the two.

Again, I've provided evidence. You've provided your observations. I've no expectation of convincing you. You, so far, are unable to convince me in the least. My observations, which do not give me certainty, are quite different than yours. And because they do not give me certainty, I do look at other data. That data does appear to match my observations. Still I am not certain. However, given that you do not have access to more accurate data than I (or you would have presented it), and you are certain that your observations represent reality, I have more reason to doubt you than me, and over a much wider scope than just this discussion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only you are talking about sims and I am talking about *people*. Let me write it another time lest you missed it again (you've already missed it twice): I am talking about people, i.e. the ones that put sex-related adult and moderate sims in the top-50 list of the most popular sims.

Jezza

Link to comment
Share on other sites


jclarkson wrote:

Only you are talking about sims and I am talking about *people*. Let me write it another time lest you missed it again (you've already missed it twice): I am talking about people, i.e. the ones that put sex-related adult and moderate sims in the top-50 list of the most popular sims.

Jezza

Here's a top-50 list from early this year...

http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2013/01/second-life-adult-sims-more-popular.html#more

38% of the top-50 were Adult, 14% General and 48% Moderate

So even within the top-50, Adult is not a simple majority, let alone a vast majority.

I really would like to see you offer up a cogent defense of your claim, but you seem to be working against yourself.

At least you can hope that the article's stated trend towards adult sims will eventually vindicate you.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


jclarkson wrote:

Dear Senior (since I'm the "kid"),

 

If the shoe fits *shrugs, you certainly act like one

Looks like you got upset

Me upset? LMAO.. More like pity

and took things personally. By the way, how do you know my real name is not Jezza Clarkson? Oh I forgot. You lot just know things better than the rest of us.

 

You SERIOUSLY think that the real Jezza has time to spend on SL trolling strangers? The man is a real celebrity, rich beyond most's dreams, he would certainly not use a free wordpress blog to air his views, you are obviously seriously deluded fanboi.


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look lady, there is nothing you can say that will insult me simply because I do not care about your opinion. So you can spare me your pity.

FYI many people share Jeremy and Clarkson as their first and last names. Sorry, our parents didn't ask for your permission first. Live with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You keep demanding proof to show you are wrong.  I say you first,  since you are the one making the claim.  You have yet to prove anything. All you keep saying is that you have made "observations" .  I can make observations about anything too but that alone proves zip.

Where are your statistics?  Lets see them. Don't just publish numbers either, since if you post just numbers there is assurance that you didn't forge them.  Publish all those logs you must have kept over time. Let us see your research. I want to see a log of the avatars and the dates and times and what their activities were that you must have followed around every time they logged in and stuck with them the entire time they were inworld for months to see that all they do is sex related. Let us know what method you used to select a truly random sample of avatars from the entire grid, not just sex sims.  Lets see how many you followed compared to the population of SL to see if you even have a statistically valid sample. 

Of course you won't show us anything substantial.  You'll come up with some lame excuse or reason , or just repeat your demand to see our 'proof'.  Until you show us some verifiable research, you are just blowing smoke.

 

To other readers and posters: This "gentleman" is obviously trolling to keep this thread going to further promote his blog. Just let this guy sit here in his thread and continue to blow smoke alone.  Eventually the thread will sink in the pool of thousands of other threads and bury itself on some dusty shelf in the archives - if the mods don't get it first.   Nothing anyone can say will be accepted by him.  Let's let it die and not play his game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Amethyst Jetaime wrote: 
[...] 
Just let this guy sit here in his thread and continue to blow smoke alone [...]

Won't happen. Some people just enjoy the verbal sparring, pointless as it might be, and couldn't care less if by so indulging the troll they're encouraging him to stick around and keep p*ssing the hell out of less astute readers; some will realize at some level that he's trolling... just not enough to overcome their own unadmitted irritation at it, so they'll keep answering and arguing with him until they feel convinced that they've somehow 'smothered him into reason'; and yet others -probably the most- are simply too naïve or unobservant to realize at all, even after it being carefully laid out by more experienced members.

 

Just saying. It just won't happen until truly everyone stops 'feeding the troll' (highly unlikey), or until he finds a juicier target elsewhere and leaves his 'opponents' here barking at thin air.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The sad thing is, that I start to believe even his trolling attempts are faked. I mean...look at his profile, look at the blog he posted...nearly always the same couples of avatars. That doesn't look like he is really hanging out at a sex sim, but more like a) he is having fun with his own alts or b) stalks and participates within the actions of a small group of people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ Amethyst

You've got it wrong lady. I don't "demand" to see proof. I ask to see where the opposite opinion that you lot hold is based. Instead, you lot have replied with scenarios about what I do and a bit of sim statistics. So until you provide some reasoning you are just blowing smoke. And no more excuses please.

 

@ Drake1

You received a reply along with the rest of the smarties that suggested I own the blog slwankers.wordpress.com. Go back and find it. And there's no need to make it personal, keyboard commando.

 

@ Ren

Haven't you noticed the hailstorm of personal attacks directed towards me? Who's trolling who?

 

@ Syo

FYI the topic of this conversation is "Is Second Life only about sex?" not "jclarkson's second life."

Link to comment
Share on other sites


jclarkson wrote:

 

@ Drake1

You received a reply along with the rest of the smarties that suggested I own the blog slwankers.wordpress.com. Go back and find it. And there's no need to make it personal, keyboard commando.

 


Mmmmmmmm nope.. nope and a whole lotta nope.. you never replied to me. Perhaps you are the one that can't read.

When a person posts a blog in the forums it is typically believed they wrote it. Especially if it is an anonymous bog. If you didn't write it I apologize... not that i would believe you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:


jclarkson wrote:

 

@ Drake1

You received a reply along with the rest of the smarties that suggested I own the blog slwankers.wordpress.com. Go back and find it. And there's no need to make it personal, keyboard commando.

 


Mmmmmmmm nope.. nope and a whole lotta nope.. you never replied to me. Perhaps you are the one that can't read.

When a person posts a blog in the forums it is typically believed they wrote it. Especially if it is an anonymous bog. If you didn't write it I apologize... not that i would believe you.

Our dear Clarkson can't handle his trolling well, seems to be a bit inexperianced. He build his story up, but only thought about it 50%. Saying this blog doesn't belong to him is an obvious lie. Go to his profile, open the feed, scroll down and you'll find the exact same avatars and places as in the blog.

Go figure why...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hadn't looked in this section in a bit; I was surprised to see this old topic pop up again. I see we've acquired a whole new troll, and one with the usual troll style: won't answer direct questions, makes completely unverifiable assertions and then demands evidence from all who argue without providing any evidence to back the original claim, ignores clear evidence in opposition or attempts to make misdirecting counterclaims. In short, a troll's troll. Thank all of you who have responded, I shall know going forward to not expect much in the way of veracity from this troll.

 

And to the OP: NO, it isn't. As has been pointed out more than once already, for a great many people it is a major obsession early in the SL experience (I am one of those many people) but almost all of us who have stayed have moved on from that obsession and stay here and enjoy our experience here with sex no more of a central issue than it is in RL (which is to say, pretty damned important but not necessarily the only reason for being).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ Drake

It wasn't a reply directed specifically towards you but to all those that suggested I own the said blog. No need to send the exact same reply to everyone and take up all the space.

 

@ Syo

Why are you trying so hard to make it personal?

 

@ Dillon

Apparently you don't know what you're talking about. I expressed my opinion (I think I am entitled to one, right?) and then a bunch of wise guys attacked me for no apparent reason (that's what trolling is). There are polite ways to disagree with someone and then there are impolite ways like the ones that you lot have been using. I am not going to answer the questions of a bunch of rude keyboard commandos.

By the way, you raised an interesting point. It's a big thing for starters and kinda dies off as they discover more things. I completely agree with that. So the question is what is the retention rate of sl residents?

Take it easy,

Jezza

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it depends on each individual. Some people are curious and sl offers opportunity to explore choices. Personally I have just joined and so far experienced quite the opposite. I met this man and I'm afraid he fell in love. Of course that is not a bad thing, it was unexpected for me. And most men will be appropriate, usually haha. If not just fly away. ...just like in rl. Wink

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Dresden Ceriano wrote: [...]
 I wouldn't say inexperienced... just sadly lacking [...]


Yep, already three signs of irritation and one attempt at toning down on obviousness, all in the same message, only four pages after starting it all.

I guess he thought he'd do better after going to such lengths in preparing his backstory.  *shrugs*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ Dres

You're off-topic as usual. Here are a few of the community guidelines that you've violated so far:

"Interpersonal Disputes or Personal Negative Commentary: If you have a personal disagreement, do not post about it on the Second Life community pages. Residents who have personal differences have other channels of communication available to them — private messaging in the forums, IM within Second Life, or chatting within Second Life."

"No Flaming: "Flames" are hostile or disruptive posts, or messages intended to incite an angry response. Spirited discussion and constructive disagreement are welcome, but name-calling and airing of grievances are not appropriate in our discussion areas. We will also not tolerate any post that encourages others to violate any policy of Linden Lab"

"Off Topic Content: Please keep your commentary relevant to the discussion and within the format that the forum, board or question and answer area require. (For example, in the Answers section, please follow the Q&A format of the discussion.) Content that is blatantly off topic is not permitted. You may also not post regarding subjects that do not relate to Second Life except in the General forum discussion board."

 

@ Ren

Dream on. Keyboard commandos of your kind aren't worth any emotion whatsoever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 years later...

Really glad i came accross this topic. Im a newby and primarily only joined to connect with my uncle but HOWEVER am beginning to enjoy the virtual world thing. Im brand new, only joined  about a month agi but havent logged on that much due to life. Only looking to connect with friends, and meet new people NOT SEX. I realize these posts are from 2012 and its now 2018 but  if ya’ll read this, thank you for putting up this blog. Im still in the stages of trying to figure out how not to wear your furniture when you unpack it. I dont know how  to use the sandbox lol I did become a premium member.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 1EmmaJane said:

Really glad i came accross this topic. Im a newby and primarily only joined to connect with my uncle but HOWEVER am beginning to enjoy the virtual world thing. Im brand new, only joined  about a month agi but havent logged on that much due to life. Only looking to connect with friends, and meet new people NOT SEX. I realize these posts are from 2012 and its now 2018 but  if ya’ll read this, thank you for putting up this blog. Im still in the stages of trying to figure out how not to wear your furniture when you unpack it. I dont know how  to use the sandbox lol I did become a premium member.

59b00f0798aca_pinheadnecro2.jpg.c2eb73758dc93fd3c16f0c5d74403433.jpg

5 Bloody years!!?!?!? I was wondering why i didnt remember the title... Good lord.. Not sure what your post has to do with the topic at hand..  You want friends not sex, good for you. So for you, it isnt about sex. You really felt the need to tell us that badly enough to revive a 5 year old dead thread?!?!?!? 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...