Avatarus Rex -- OMG Short Arm Syndrome!

Sassy Dirval

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4081 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm sure it bothers me more than most but I spent too many hours in figure drawing classes having proper proportions beat into my head.

If you look around SL, soooo many avatars suffer from short arm syndrome -- which is silly becuase it's the easiest proportion to get right:

"Your wrist should be even with the bottom of your crotch."

There.  All done.  Always perfect.  Now a lot of your aminations will suddenly look better and your hands won't disappear in your hips.  Men -- it's the same proportionately for you.

prop_female.gif

Hehe yes I was an art student and noticed the same thing early on as well.

I've seen far worse than just a little off, done intentionally and IMO it just looked like hell. Very much Avasaurus Rex as you describe. Normally though it's just a little off but noticable if you have this type of training. Makes it like trying not to think about 'elephant'. Or in this case, maybe chimpanzee :P

I've noticed on average breasts get exagerated too. Small inworld is like a C or D and a lot of avis I see just make me not want to see their chiropractor bill. Or lend them a wheelbarrow or something lol.

Hands too. Lots of big hands around.

and butts! OMG. It's like people go 'well my butt is bigger than that' so the only thing they change is the butt and nothing else and the avi is like 'woooomp' in the middle.

Then you get the opposite. That whole move to reconsile the fact that land distances do not jive with body measurements. To look right, you're going to be a little taller by what those measuring boxes say just because of how the people editor stretches and squashes certain things. Yea, you can nail the height down, if you don't mind a little dwarfism.

Sassy Dirval wrote:

Those look good.  Hands might be a bit small...  proportionately, the hand should be about the size of your face.

I agree, these are starting to look very nice. The hands indeed do look smallish. On the shorter avatar I would try to adjust the hip area aiming for smoother curve between hip and waist. This area is difficult on the avatar as there are not enough adjustment possibilities. Making the hip a bit longer helps in attaining smoother curve. When making the hip longer one must watch the bum so that it does not start to look too long.

Anyway, these look better than many shapes what are sold in shops. Good work. :matte-motes-smile:

Kristin Burner wrote:

Hi

Theres my first attempts at porportional shapes.

But i think you should just make your shape by eye, to what pleases you.  I made a third version, that is one head taller in the legs, which i like actually more i think.

Shapes

Quite lovey, both. And I do agree, do what pleases you. People were not stamped from cookie cutters. There's always going to be some variance. However, knowing the norms can help you sort out more quickly what is really causing the wonkiness when things get strange in the creative process.

These are actually good examples of the breast phenomenon I meantioned above, particularly the shorter model on the right. If you compare to the chart, you see that when viewed from the front, they never protrude beyond the outer edgeof the torso. But.. :) we can get away with more here just because of how they behave, even with decent physics. It also goes to what we are accustomed to seeing in SL and correctly proportioned breasts would in most cases seem quite small, just because there are so many larger pair around.

Mine are the same way btw. D's or maybe even E's proportionately but they behave like a C, and no neck/back pain so yay. lol

Sassy Dirval wrote:

"Your wrist should be even with the bottom of your crotch."

I added on the left a figure of a RL female. This is an actual  real life photo.

(I photoshopped it to resemble a drawing in effort to not to offend anybody with too realistic photo :smileytongue:)

The arms in the RL woman are a bit shorter than in the "Ideal Proportion - Female".  Sure there are some variations in arm lengths in RL.  For anybody interested in trying to make realistic female avatar shape this whole figure is an excellent reference source.  Happy tweaking and good luck.  Make your avatar awesome!

Ideal-female-proportions.jpg

Coby Foden wrote:

The arms in the RL woman are a bit shorter than in the "Ideal Proportion - Female".

That's right. I use the highest knuckle on the hand, even with the crotch, for a slightly shorter look, or highest knuckle on the thumb for a slightly longer look. The difference isn't that much between the two, but changing to the other can sometimes get rid of those tricks on the eye that certain outfits can cause. High-waisted booty shorts or daisy dukes with some cheek showing are a prime example.. will always make your arms look longer then they are and make your torso look shorter then it is.

For females to have proper anatomy, the arm setting needs to be at about 90-100. And even that won't work soon past 6-feet tall.

I've got a blog though, on how to get all the measurements right:

http://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/getting-good-body-proportions-in-second-life/

Arms will be the hardest part, because LLs seriously messed up with the slider.

- lots of screenshots in there showing you how to use prims to get accurate based on your shape.

halfnhalfheightsplit.jpg

armlength.jpg

The hips of the girl in the leopard dress look scary. The space between her legs is soo big....it looks unnormal and a bit unhealty to me.

Short arms and tiny hands are mostly a problem of male avatars while female avatars tend to have breasts as big as mountains, hips wide as a blanket, an ass so huge, they could hold a beer bottle with it and not to forget the smallest feet in the world....all together on body with the size of amazon.

:catwink:

Sometimes I feel unique with a normal sized avatar (normal sized in everykind of way)

Syo Emerald wrote:

I just don't see this trend to give female avatars such extremly big space between their legs and so stretched hips as normal. Curvy women are ok, but this just looks strange to me
:)

WORD.

This isn't about size though, as the poster above you had questioned.

It is about proportion.

And the stretched hips - that is bad proportion. Flat out bad anatomy.

Anyone who has seen a real woman ought to know this... ... ...

Avalyn Valeska wrote:

Wow! Thank God for this thread! And I'm not being sarcastic lol,  I honestly didn't realize how freakishly short my arms were in proportion to the rest of me!

See my screenshots on page one of the thread.

The way to make your arms right is to take a prim and make it go from the top of your skull to the soles of your feet in height.

Then turn that prim sideways, and center it just below your neck. The tips of your fingers should reach the end of the prim if you are in a T-pose.

If you don't have a t-pose, the free pose-stand from my 'shop' includes one that I was given permission to redistribute (when I asked for such, its maker was surprised I hadn't realized he'd meant it to be handed out).

I'm sure others have t-poses as well for those who feel a need to avoid the one in my posestand. :D

At what stage in SL evolutionary history did "avatarus rex" first cross breed with "avatarus phallus humungous"? I think they compliment one another quite nicely. After all, SL ladies wouldn't want their SL men to miss the toilet bowl on account of lack of reach causing an inability to point things in the right direction, would they?

I spotted this in local newspaper. Resembles Second Life somehow...  :smileysurprised: :smileytongue:

RL-Short-Tall.jpg

1.57 metres •Eva Longoria
                        American actress, best known for portraying Gabrielle Solis on the ABC TV series Desperate Housewives

1.93 metres •Joel McHale
                        American stand-up comedian, actor, writer, TV producer, TV personality and voice artist

Who knows what normal is, especially in a virtual world!  Who wants to be normal anyway?  I lack boobs in rl so I made sure I had some here!  Maybe they are too big or too saggy but I like them..lol

I am also smaller than most I see in SL and yes most are amazon!   I'm glad that we aren't all the same, I think SL would be really boring if we all looked "normal"! :)  

Coby Foden wrote:

I spotted this in local newspaper. Resembles Second Life somehow...  :smileysurprised: :smileytongue:

Indeed. The only difference I can see would be if that was SL, then an AV her size would have her upper arms and knee areas scrunched in a freakishly troll-like manner. Interesting to note that while Eva is notoriously very short, well below the norm, and shorter than the average preteen is nowdays, this guy pictured next to her is also only 6'3" tall.. well below the average tall guy height in RL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4081 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.