Rigging in Maya Tutorial Video

Sae Luan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2977 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

After months of trying to rig a clothing item in Maya, I finally figured out how to get it to work.  Personally, one of my biggest issues was that the calculate skin weights button was greyed out anytime I tried to upload, and it turns out a few simple changes fixed it, and I am now uploading rigged meshes with ease.  To try and help others from having any of the same issues I was having, I created a video today detailing how I did it so people that prefer video tutorials can follow along easier.

I bable a lot, and um/uh must be my favorite words to use, but if you can get past all that, I've covered EVERY step I use to get a rigged mesh into Second Life.  Hope it helps even just one person!

http://cutepoison.net/tutorials/maya-tutorials/rigging-mesh-in-maya/

• Like 6

Absolutely fabulous video Sae!!! :D

I have already bookmarked it so I can pass it along to anyone needing Maya rigging help. :D

Here is a couple of quick tips that will make things go even faster though I love how you did it step by step so people will really know what needs to be done.

Instead of having to click the plus sign next to each bone in the Outliner window just hold down the shift key when you click on the plus sign next to the bone named mPelvis.  This will open up all the joint under it instantly instead of having to click on each one. :D  If you click the minus sign next to mPelvis while holding the shift key it will hide all the joints again. :)

Next tip is on how to select the entire skeleton without having to select each bone one at a time you don't even have to do the tip I just told you about.  With the Outliner open click on the word mPelvis to select it.  Your entire skeleton will turn green.  Next move your mouse cursor off the Outliner window and into the view view panel where your mesh and skeleton are but don't put the cursor on your mesh or skeleton.  Then hold down your Ctrl key and hold down your right mouse button.  A menu will appear.  While still holding down your right mouse button move your cursor over the words "Select Hierarchy".  This will select all the bones / Joints in your skeleton and it should turn white.

I hope that helps. :D

Cathy

Thank you for the feedback.

You know, it's funny... as I was doing the expanding in this video in the outliner, I was thinking, surely there's a better way to expand all this out, but as I was recording, didn't think it was a good idea to sit and shuffle around with the program in fear it would confuse people watching.  Thanks for letting me know though.. I will def. add that info on the page below the video.

Also, it's good to know you don't have to select each joint as I did.  Someone had once told me that you had to select each one, so I've always had the habit of doing it.  I'll also add this info to the page.

Your helpful input will def. help cut back on the time it takes to rig the meshes.  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You are the greatest person ever! This helped me so much, cause like you i've been searching for months how to skin weight with 3ds, couldn't find anything. So, I decided to blow the dust off my ol' Maya and give it a shot, came across your forum and video and it worked! I nearly pee'd on myself I was so excited! LOL THANKS A MILLION!!!! <3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice video. :)

There's a couple of tiny things that I want to share after watching the video.

At 2:25, a more direct way of changing joint size:

Display > Animation > Joint Size...

At 4:40, a faster way to expand the skeleton in the outliner:

Shift + Left click on the plus sign [+]

Alternatively, instead of selecting the bones one by one,

select the root of the skeleton in the outliner and Edit > Select Hierarchy.

• 3 months later...

Instructive tutorial! I tried to download the "standard size package" and discovered they had only a ".mb" file included for Maya 2012 I believe. I have an older version of Maya and would need to access the ".ma" file of the "standard size package". I tried to contact the one who provide the package without luck.

Could you (Sae Luan) or anyone else send me the package saved as ".ma" files instead? I managed before if I'm not mistaken to change the version number required to open the files that way.

Regards
Lutricia

• 4 months later...

Hello
Very great help to others and your brothers
Thank you very much sister precious
I liked the explanation model and additions
Give 10 of 10
But also like to help me if you d this email Nunn 4411 @ hotmail. Com
Thank you, the nicest and best girl

• 2 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2977 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.