Probelm with advance features!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4388 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I enable ambient occlusion, depth of the field or lights and shadows my viewer goes nuts, it doesnt crash but seems to decompose, I dont know how to explain what happens. My pc has an ATI card, can that be the problem? it went alright some months ago though.. Thanks in advance for any help given.

Depth of field and lights and shadows require a fairly high end graphics card.  I have an nVidia GTX 550 Ti  with a gig of video RAM (which is a mid level gaming card) and my performance takes a serious hit with those features enabled.  It does work but my FPS just about cut in half.  You need a card that is capable of handling those features which would be not less than a mid level gaming card.......a high end card would be best such as an nVidia GTX 580.  Those cards are not cheap......$400 to $500 USD.

Open your viewer and under the "Help" menu click on "About Second Life".  Copy the computer specs on the first tab of the dialog box and paste back here.  That will give enough information so that someone might be able to give you more than I just gave you.

Lets see, specs:

CPU: Intel® Core i5 CPU       M 480  @ 2.67GHz (2660.18 MHz)
Memory: 3947 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit  (Build 7600)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

And what happens..

Before lights and shadows.

Snapshot_626.png

After lights & shadows..

Snapshot_627.png

Sl still works, if I check off L&S all goes back to normal.

Funny things appear if I cam around

Snapshot_628.png.

Thats the linden tree outside my house?

Snapshot_633.png

A spaceport?

Snapshot_634.png

And my wool jacket's texture..

Can I file a jira about this? never done that, but Ive heard that you arent a true SL resident if you havent filed one. Its that true?

Thanks in advance!

I just went through something similar with an ATI card as well. Update your graphics card driver to make sure you have the newest driver available. Fixed my problem right away. I was getting graphical tearing exactly like yours when I went up to ultra settings.

Updating your driver is super easy, what you can do is go to this site here http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx and on the right hand side you will see an option to download your driver. Put in all the required spots, and download the driver. I see your running a mobility card, which tells me your on a laptop, so be extra careful to make sure you do select the correct driver. If you choose a desktop driver it can cause problems with the laptop graphics card. 

If you do not feel comfortable selecting the driver yourself AMD also has the automatically detect and install option as well which is good for those who may not be completely comfortable in handling the process themself.

If you have any more questions feel free to look me up in world, or reply here.

• Like 1

Many laptops (and even a few desktops......but not many) require customized drivers that are designed for specific models of the laptop.  The chipset manufacturers' driver will not work on those computers (most won't even install).  The place to look for a driver is the computer manufacturer's site, not the chipset manufacturer's.  If you install the wrong driver you have a whole new set of problems to deal with..........it can be a real mess to straighten out too.

• Like 1

Great! As long as you got the mobility driver from ATI like I suggested then it is the right one. The only time you need to worry about getting it directly from the laptop manufacturer is when its integrated and not stand alone. Most high end laptops these days are stand alone graphic cards that just smaller and slightly different specc'ed then desktop drivers.

I am glad you were able to get it fixed, looking forward to seeing some snapshots in the ultra settings from you!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4388 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.