What land would I need for a shop like this?

iCade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been doing quite a bit of reading, and already went through quite a few estate agencies in game. I am pretty in the know of the prices for commercial land, but not so much when it comes to what parcel I would really need!

I am and will be making furniture, as well as skyboxes. I know that as a clothing merchant I could get a small shop with little prims, but as a furniture merchant I would have to put my products on display, no?

I would have to employ a holo-rezzer for the skyboxes (not a temp rezzer), and since my skyglobes will range from 30x30 to 50x50 that will bump up the parcel size unfortunately. So I was thinking of renting a 4096 parcel, but these are expensive in commercial districts and come with more prims than I think I will need. The store plus vendors and such would not exceed 200 prim, the skyboxes I make will not exceed 100 prim, at least that's my vision. I do wish to display furniture, which would take up anywhere between 200-300 prim.

I would say, I would not need more than 600 prim. 500 Prim if I really work on it. But the problem is, that lands that support these prim are too small to actually be able to showcase the size of skyglobes I am building, yet I am quite reluctant to spend a lot of L weekly on a parcel of land where I will not use 40% of the prims that come with it.

Or maybe I have it all wrong? What would I need? What should I start with as a skyglobe/furniture merchant? Am I striving too high too fast?

Any help and pointers would be much appreciated!

I wonder if finding a homestead region, that rents out larger land mass, but has less prims, would be helpful.

Homesteads generally have 7500 prims per sim., a quater region would allow 1875 prims... I know the regions cost the owner lesss. I imagine the rent may be less. Might be something to look into

Hi iCade :)

My shop is mostly home and garden stuff - I got 183 prims at the moment. Most of my stuff is very low prim so I probably got about 60 - 80 actual items in the shop at any one time. I do have a rezzer but just for a few items of up to 10 prims.

For the larger items - like large gardens and buildings - which are up to 49 prims, I have started to make demos which are available from Marketplace for free. In the shop I also offer a box with all the demos. The demo can be rezzed on the customer's own land so they can see how it fits and looks and works, then it derezzes after 5 minutes. Since most of my sales still come from Marketplace that's an acceptable solution for me, and I hope my customers.

I'd love a bigger shop (ego boost!!) but feel that inworld sales would need to cover at least the rent on the land. I am working on that!

Emma :) 

Thank you Dilbert, I recently purchased half a homestead, however this is my home and while I could use part of it for a shop, I am concerned about privacy. Yes a land tp is in my picks, but this is to showcase my landscaping to potential customers. They're very few and far in between, however I believe that if my furniture is liked, it may bring a lot more people to my land, and they will most likely explore since it's so inviting. I have thought about it, but I am not sure I would want to sacrifce my privacy for that. And I certainly didn't landscape my home to it's fullest just to move to the air should things on the ground get steamy.I suppose I could divide my half sim to cut off only the living part, I will have to think about this. Although right now I am simply lacking the open prim due to landscaping and an OCD-ish attention to details. If I were to give the shop 600 prim this would leave me with around 1275 to landscape. Which is quite low for half a sim that is one large, luscious garden, and my house of course takes up quite a few prim, too. I am not sure I could open up enough prims without getting rid of the details that makes it so homely to me.

While I was looking for a new home I checked out many rental places for homsteads, usually 1/4th of a homestead with 900 something prim costs the same as a 4096sqm parcel with bonus prim.

I hardly saw anyone offer 1/8th homestead, and even then the prim may be a tad too low. Now I know I can get mainland at all sorts of sizes but I do not wish to pay tier for a 4096sqm parcel when I really just have a 3000sqm parcel.

It's pretty impossible finding a custom size/prim parcel in a commercial district and I suppose it's very unlikely to find this with  a private estate, too.

I will continue to make furniture, I have a lot planned and a lot in the works already, and once I have a good base I will see how many prim I will need.

I did find a 3072sqm parcel with close to 800 prim in a commercial district..it costs about 1700L. Which is quite a lot comparing it to a 4096sqm in a non comm district with bonus prims for 1200L.

Yet I just cannot go below a parcel size of 64mx64m due to the skyglobes. They're the solemn reason I will need such a big land but I know - as a cusomer myself - that people prefer being able to check out the product before purchasing. I can do with a small furniture shop, but that will leave me without a place to showcase my skyboxes.

Emma - Oh wow! Why didn't I think of the Demo part!? That is the perfect solution actually, I could kiss you right now! *headdesks at not having thought of such a simple yet utterly effective solution*

The interesting thing about skyboxes is, as you say, that they are physically large but require relatively few prims.  By definition they are also meant to be in the sky.

Contrast that with most shops which need many prims but in a small area - and usually at ground level.

The combination means it is sometimes (not always but fairly often) possible to find landowners and/or existing shop-keepers who will rent you the sky over their parcels, with the proviso that you will be using very few prims.  If that doesn't work you can do things the other way around - you can pay for the larger area you need and then rent-out one or more ground-level shops to soak up the extra prims you don't use.

I agree Peter, but I think renting in a commercial district would be the best bet when one is just starting out. The foot traffic would help I believe and I am not much of a landowner, and don't quite want to be, so unless I had a friend looking for a skyshop I wouldn't start dabbling into that D:

I would go for mainland - and put your shop up at around 1000 to 2000m (not above as people tend to put private houses up there, not below as people tend to put nice gardens down there).

- That way you can get just what you can afford in premium tier, and no more.

A 4096 is likely ideal.

Location is not all that meaningful in SL anymore... Just put out the landmark and let people teleport in.

• 2 weeks later...

Your not looking very hard.  Sinners Rapture sim is reasonably priced.  I have a 4096 sq. m parcel for 1400L week and i get 934 prim allotment.  Your estimation for prim used for display of furniture is way low.  You will use probably twice that if not more. Unless of course you will only have out a few sets of furniture.  Go for the 4096 sq, m parcel.  You will not regret it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.