Rodvik Humble's response to DD problems

Super String

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Finally....

Sera Lok gets a response from Linden CEO Radvik Humble, which isNo, I don't think it's an overraction, It was not an acceptable level of quality roll out. I will say the team is crunching hard "

Thanks to Sera :matte-motes-grin:

I know some other merchants also sent messages to Rodvik, let me say it again--thank you all contributors here, this merchant community rocks!

see more responses on Rovik's twitter

Rod is the thunder.

He sires children with a mere wink.

He is the stick in the woodshed.

Rod is the one that understands that employees only need to do their 40 and what they said they can do on their resume and that customers pay the bills. He understands that when bill-paying customers are happy, they tell more people.

Rod is the one that crushes buggy coal in his bare hands and produces enterprise level diamonds.

Rod's pair cannot fit on the largest of land baron estates.

Rod can do this.

Dartagan Shepherd wrote:

Rod is the thunder.

Rod is the one that understands that employees only need to do their 40 and what they said they can do on their resume and that customers pay the bills. He understands that when bill-paying customers are happy, they tell more people.

Rod is the one that crushes buggy coal in his bare hands and produces enterprise level diamonds.

Rod can do this.

And yet he can't even manage to post this timely info on his company's official website? Sorry but, if we have to rely on other residents pulling Rod's communication from third party sites like Twitter rather a LL web property I'm not going to nominate the guy for sainthood.

Please don't interupt a shill, that is ... a prophet, when he's working.

The beast has not yet fully awakened, so this is a Nastradamus kind of thing.

Seriously though, that post was just trying to give some clues to Rod if he ever happens by to remind him of the basics he already knows, just in case he's finding himself sidetracked by volumes of data that doesn't mean what they think it means at Lab Hamsters, Inc.

I think just about every customer in SL would be behind him if he were to clean up the various messes and bugs that exist aggressively. There are just too many pain points to SL stopping further progress and people are going to be volumes more appreciative of that than new features.

I think I can safely say too that between two opposite sides of the coin (Lab Hamsters and customers) and the complexity of SL and its residents that it takes some time to get your head around before you can really start coming up with solutions.

Some have been really good ... pathfinding? Great stuff. His contributions to our beast of a viewer? Getting there.

The ones that aren't so good involve getting carried away with LL creativity, the social additions? A bit of waste considering everything that needs cleaning up. Last names? Not his fault for not being fed the right information from employees in the first place.

I don't know, I just think he's the right one once he's on a mission. But really, I do think he just needs to say look guys, playtime is over until we're improved across the board, cleaned up many bugs, clean up documentation, and open that communication as if you're communicating with customers as peers.

If he's going to walk like a gunslinger I'm going to start building temples in his honor.

Sorry, in all that just wanted to say I absolutely agree about Twitter. Communication needs to be concentrated here, not taking the path of least resistance elsewhere.

Can't remember where I saw the comment offhand, but someone mentioned that Rod needs to confront his customers and not worry about the negative reaction and I agree with that too. Lack of communication has always been about dodging here.

It's a mixed bag between communication and actually being able to show results, which is the part that has always been lacking with LL, delivering after the communication, or actually finishing a project to an acceptable level of quality before jumping to the the next thing.

Great related blog article here: http://modemworld.wordpress.com/2012/04/13/when-putting-the-lab-back-into-linden-lab-might-need-more-consideration/

Deej Kasshiki wrote:

And yet he can't even manage to post this timely info on his company's official website? Sorry but, if we have to rely on other residents pulling Rod's communication from third party sites like Twitter rather a LL web property I'm not going to nominate the guy for sainthood.

Totally (and sadly) agree!!

Deej Kasshiki wrote:

Dartagan Shepherd wrote:

Rod is the thunder.

Rod can do this.

This big time. ^^

Some of us don't follow Twitter and Facebook.  Agreed that this info should be HERE, on Second Life's website AND a post to us in the Merchants Forum.

Not impressed.

Ture, I personally have the same thoughts as you and Deej.  We have been through what you call the "craziest and darkest times in the marketplace's history", and this is also personally my most disastrous time as a SL resident--from disappointment to inflaming anger, then I felt heartly sick of Linden Lab and continuously growing issues, finally feel numb about this .

I've had very low standards for anything about LL now. Rod's response compared to commerce team or marketplace team is actually very impressive to me, at least Rod responds, he is the only Linden who admits this situation is not acceptable. And I also noticed that about the time when he started to respond DD issues, a DD issue got fixed finally (issue 4580). So maybe making contact to Rod is a more efficient way to make issues fixed.

I wonder what his thoughts were when he was told it could take two months to fix the problems?

I hope this doesn't further ruin some of you Merchant's day, but why else this?:

Update (March 31, 2012): While we work to address current Marketplace issues, we will not require any Merchants to migrate listings away from Magic Boxes to Direct Delivery before June 1, 2012.

A decision / statement like this would have to be approved by mgt.

Last names? Not his fault for not being fed the right information from employees in the first place.

That was seriously a mess and could not have been handled worse.  There's no excuse for announcing it to the community if it could not be done (and I don't believe it cannot be done since the day before his announcement someone made a new account with a proper last name).  You find out if something is plausible before you get your customers excited.  It was a bungled mess and that he then promptly cut off communication after such a shoddy move, unbelievable.

Sorry, but to me he's another one, just like the other ones.

I notice the Commerce Team are not crunching those bugs so hard that they don't have time for "madstyle".

>what will rodvik do to ensure this sort of condition never happens again?

It is already happening again.

14 February was 13 September happening again, only now there's even more of it.

Given this as a pattern, and given the proportionately lesser acknowledgement by LL, what you should expect is probably just even further escalation of problems.

>And yet he can't even manage to post this timely info on his company's official website?

And yet he can't even replace one person who has done nothing but create more problems for over 6 months, even in San Francisco, even with something like a million qualified people unemployed nationwide.

(And yet he can't even get a green bear off the main page which continues both to mock you and to infringe on the trademark for Oopsy Bear.)

>A decision / statement like this would have to be approved by mgt.

No, it would it would merely have to be allowed.

Have you seen any other indicator at this point that the Commerce Team has not become effectively autonomous?

Maybe Rod stopped the post 13 September deployments.

Maybe.

But how could they have been any worse than what happened in the post 14 February deployments?

Assuming Rod had both appreciable awareness and appreciable control in September, he must only have had less of at least one of these things by 14 February...

.. unless, of course, this whole fiasco is his own doing...

>I notice the Commerce Team are not crunching those bugs so hard that they don't have time for "madstyle".

Regardless of the various possible explanations behind the content or timing of the "madstyle" effort, the above sentence pretty much sums up in a nutshell everything that has come out of Linden Labs in the last 8 months.

Really, how does it not?

Kampu Oyen wrote:

>A decision / statement like this would have to be approved by mgt.

No, it would it would merely have to be
allowed.

Have you seen any other indicator at this point that the Commerce Team has not become effectively autonomous?

Maybe Rod stopped the post 13 September deployments.

Maybe.

But how could they have been any worse than what happened in the post 14 February deployments?

Assuming Rod had both appreciable awareness and appreciable control in September, he must only have had less of at least one of these things by 14 February...

.. unless, of course, this whole fiasco is his own doing...

My statement was and is a very large assumption based upon the sum total of my experiences in RL business and my experiences in SL.  At  best I might call it an educated guess. But I do think it's a good guess. 

Until proven different I do go by the assumption that Rod wants SL to grow and succeed. 

I do think it's a bad business decision for him to not communicate more with us here.  But at least he does communicate occasionally.

As far as being approved verses being allowed, the two things work hand in hand.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Deej Kasshiki wrote:

Dartagan Shepherd wrote:

Rod is the thunder.

Rod can do this.

This big time. ^^

Some of us don't follow Twitter and Facebook.  Agreed that this info should be HERE, on Second Life's website AND a post to us in the Merchants Forum.

Not impressed.

I saw a link in another forum, to a thread in SL Universe, where someone who either is or is impersonating Rodvik hangs out and chats.

>Until proven different I do go by the assumption that Rod wants SL to grow and succeed.

Based on what he has said, or on what the Lindens have actually done in the last 8 months?

Assuming his intentions are what he says they are, what good will that be while the people working for him are consistently sending the opposite message with their actions, and while, as far as we can tell, he does absolutely nothing about it?

Other than seeming to try to drive merchants back in-world to increase land revenues, and fixing some smaller token number of the slew of new problems they chose to create, can you really name even one thing that the Lindens have done in the last 8 months that indicates any intention to let SL grow and succeed?

Pamela Galli wrote
I saw a link in another forum, to a thread in SL Universe, where someone who either is or is impersonating Rodvik hangs out and chats.

It's not a fake. He's posted on SLU numerous times in the past rather than communicating with us here.

Perrie Juran wrote:

I do think it's a bad business decision for him to not communicate more with us here.  But at least he does communicate occasionally.

As far as I am concerned he doesn't communicate at all if he can't communicate within SL.  I don't have and don't want a twitter or facebook account and tons of SL residents don't either.  SLU only has 21059 total members ( not necessarily active users) as of right now - I looked.  The percentage of people that actively go there and see his posts that are also SL residents is so far below 1% of all SL residents that its effectively zero.  He uses these platforms so he can say he is communicating without communicating.

Well, playing Devil's advocate, what percentage of SLers read these forums...or even any part of the website? Yes some ongoing notification of the state of play on ogin would be nice, for example. The other point of using Twitface et al is to show the outside worls (ie people not on SL) that the CEO is taking an active role in the running of the company and hears users worries... =^^=

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.