Is Phoenix the only viewer with OTR?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been using Phoenix for the past year (at the suggestion of many other users), however I have heard of this "mesh", and how it is much better for avi appearance, and thus I would like to try it.  Now I heard that the latest version of Phoenix supports mesh, but that it might not work as well as on other viewers.

Any techies out there who can educate me on viewers, OTR, and which are better for mesh?

Also, anyone know of a good article that might breakdown mesh in a simple way, for us non-techies?

thank you

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Firestorm will have OTR sometime in the
("We won't have OTR in the next Firestorm release but I'll 'try' my best to get it in the next.").

Unless you're working in national security... or you're a terrorist... or you're a criminal... I don't see why OTR is such a dealbreaker. But that's just me.

Well I'm a terrorist working in national security, so I guess that makes me a criminal, as such, I need OTR!!!

Do you know if the mesh in Phoenix is much different than the mesh in Firestorm?  I've been using an old version of Phoenix all this time, so I haven't yet experienced Mesh, nor know anything about it.

Love Leonoase wrote:

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Firestorm will have OTR sometime in the
("We won't have OTR in the next Firestorm release but I'll 'try' my best to get it in the next.").

Unless you're working in national security... or you're a terrorist... or you're a criminal... I don't see why OTR is such a dealbreaker. But that's just me.

Well I'm a terrorist working in national security, so I guess that makes me a criminal, as such, I need OTR!!!

Do you know if the mesh in Phoenix is much different than the mesh in Firestorm?  I've been using an old version of Phoenix all this time, so I haven't yet experienced Mesh, nor know anything about it.

There should be no difference in the way you see it, but it may be a bit harder on your system.  Some people have issues with it, some don't.  I say just try it and see... you can always go back to an earlier version if you have to.  If you do switch, make sure you do a clean install (link).

...Dres

You can look on the wiki for Phoenix for more infomation about OTR. I found this pertaining to it:

"OTR: Allows private conversations over instant messaging by providing authentication, encryption and other features."

Basically it just a way to "protect" IMs etc. As far as mesh, to me, I see it same as in Firestorm. Meh, I can't tell a difference. You might just have to see on each viewer for yourself and which you may prefer. 

• 2 months later...

I find the above comment naive and offensive. What an absolutely silly thing to say. You have no idea what is happening to other people. I and a friend must communicate by OTR because IMs were intercepted and reproduced in real life word for word. This has caused  a lot of damage. The situation continues today and OTR is absolutely essential for us. The sooner you adopt a broader viewer of the real world and get OTR on line, the better.  :(

According to LL, no LSL script can listen to IMs, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if someone "intercepted" your IMs it's because your system (or your network, or both) was (or is) compromised, not because of any lack of encryption.

But you're right. I have no idea what is happening to other people. I am, after all, not other people.

I may also very well be naive as to what those other people could possibly be discussing in IMs in SL that could cause such damage when "reproduced in real life". Or maybe it's just that I really don't have anything to hide. :smileyhappy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.