One way walls?

SydneyBloom

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4367 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have a feeling this is a really dumb question so I'd like to apologize in advance but I'm going to ask it anyway.

Is there a way to make a wall that I can see out of but people can't see in? I have a small piece of land and I'd like to put up walls around the edges for privacy. I don't want people to see in but I'd still like to see out. And, just to make this question worse, I know very little about building, but I learn fast.

Thank you to anyone who can help with this silly question.

Edit: Oh wow. Thank you Natales!

2 answers to this question

Yes... To see how rez a cube. I assume you know how... but if not just say. We all had to learn.

In the top of the Build Panel look for Select Face. Enable that. Click on a face, any face. Now select the Texture tab. In the texture square click to open the Texture Selector. In the search or filter window at the top selector type clear. With any luck you have a clear texture named clear in your invenotry. If not no problem, they are easy to come by. Ask anyone for one while in world.

Select that texture and click on it. You have one side of the cube clear and you will find you can see through both sides of the cube when looking from the clear side. But like a one way mirror, you cannot see through from the other side.

EDIT: Oh, if you don't have a clear texture, just set the Transparency to its max value, 100%. same effect. Using 100% Trans is probably more render efficient.

Have fun.

There is a 100% transparent texture in the Library section of your inventory. You can apply that to the inside surface of the screen around your parcel.

A privacy wall is worthless, however. Anyone can just cam past it to see what you're hiding. Putting a big box around your parcel sort oif screams to some people "I'm hiding something, come perv out on watching me!". They will see the wall or box and immediately move their camera past it and start watching you. And you can't stop that with a wall.

There's a much better way, however. Viewer 3 supports a parcel property that makes the avatars on a parcel invisible to anyone outside the parcel, and vice versa. Just set that property active, and anyone standing on the parcel next to yours will not see or hear you on your parcel, and you won't see them. And your neighbors don't need to see ugly walls blocking their view! World > About Land > Options tab, and uncheck the box "Avatars on other parcels can see and chat with avatrs on this parcel"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4367 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.