SL viewer just Black/whitescreen

Checkthis0ut

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey guys,
I rly hope somebody here can help me (in German forum nobody seems to be intrested in helping me).
My Problem:
I installed the game and started the viewer, but everything i get is just a white window and after pressing "Tabulator" twice times it goes black.
Im wondering about that becuz if i move with the cursor all over the window i see that it changes his icon.
I.e. the cursor changes from a normal arrow to a hand, so it shows me im on a button.
Seems like everything works fine, but it cant display anything of it.

I tried to instal the game on the pc of my Bro, and see ... there it works, and everything is fine, but not on my pc.
I tried all 3 different viewers, and everywhere the same problem.
My pc is quite good and provides the requirements.
Just 1 time i got it working with the firestormviewer but then i couldnt press a button or write my nick into the loginbox.

Maybe its my Graphiccard becuz my Bro got a old Nvidia and i have a quite new ATI.
I got a similar problem with the game oblivion.
Hope u understand my problem and can help me, its getting on my nerves.

Best regards
Checkthis0ut

The problem is likely to be with your computer or internet connection:

Check the ATI web site and be sure your drivers are up-to-date.  (Do this first.)

If your bro is using a different internet connection, the problem might be with your router -- see this:

Login fails? Lots of logouts? Summary 

http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/2011/12/kit-login-fails-lots-of-logouts-summary.html

TKR

And I am guessing that you are using the same router.  If so, try connecting your computer to the router port your bro is using -- the problem might be in the router port.    If that does not fix it, my next guess would be a problem with your graphics card. Yeah, I know it's new, but new cards can have defects.  

I wish I could give better help, but you have tried all the common fixes I know about.

TKR

I do have the same issue with an AMD HD Graphics Card. It happens since I updated to the Catalyst Drivers 12.3, so the same that you are using. 

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/Plain-white-SL-log-in-screen-after-graphics-driver-update/qaq-p/1485061

The problem seems to be that SL does not work with Catalyst Driver 12.3.

Have a look what graphics card and driver version your brother is using and let us know.

I mean try your brother's router port.  Unless you a using wi-fi, you have an ethernet wire from you an outlet on the router to your computer.  Your Bro has a similar wire.  There could be a problem with the outlet to your computer and not with the outlet to your Bro.  I am looking for something that is different between your set up and the one your Bro has -- the problem has to be there.  You might also try a different ethernet cable.

You should not have to open up special ports for SL -- that is usually done autmatically when you tell the operating system you want to run the program.  

If you are using Wi-fi, the problem could be in your distance from the router or in something in between (metal or concrete) that is weakening the signal.  SL is more affected by weak Wi-fi than is your browser.   

I am sorry to be suggesting weird and complicated things, but you have tested all the simple and obvious things.

TKR

It is definately the driver. Also Catalyst 12.2 does not work. It has driver version 8.95x.x.x

The only driver that works for me that I found so far is: 8.921.0.0 (I didn't try any between 8.92 and 8.95).

Try which older Catalyst version works for you. I think that 12.1 should do the trick but I don't want to try ATM as my set-up works right now: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx (this is for the 64bit WIN).

Let us know if this solves the issue for you.

Ok, I cannot find that cd right now, but this is a win7/vista 64bit driver that is for all hd7900 series. It works for me and it should work for a dh7950 as well. I googled the driver version 8.921.0.0. So you should run at least a virus scan on the file, as I do not know how trustfull the source is: http://www.driveridentifier.com/scan/driver_file_detail.php?inf_file_id=773753&md5=35f33b09cec4045b02219ddffda7d20d&scanid=A0C433EE630743DB9E5130A605CF2456&item_id=310054585&hardware_id=PCI%5CVEN_1002%26DEV_6798

Be aware that for me SL runs with this driver, however it is only stable if I don't use the best graphics options. Funny that I buy the best available graphics card and for now I have the quality of a 150$ graphics for SL...

ok guys, the problem is more or less easy .... its ATI and his graphic cards .... on my motherboard i got a onboard graphic card, so i decided to try using this one for SL and see, everything works fine (its an readon hd 45X0).
so if i wanna play SL ive got to change to the screen which is connected with my onboard card.

Hello Foxen,

I do not understand what you mean with "change it to basic". What exactly should be changed to basic?

@ CheckthisOut: Your solution is not a solution. You are proposing to use another graphics card. I don't want that. It's like I buy a Ferrari and the next day I find out that it is forbidden to drive cars in my town. And people tell me: "Just take your bike." 

I like biking, no problem. But why exactly have I paid for a Ferrari???

well bro, i understand what ur talking about, i thought about that idea like you, but its the truth.
ATI will never be as good as Nvidia, so i will decide to buy a new one and sell my old one.
Do whatever u like i dont want to prescribe u what to do, so pls dont missunderstand me.

Ah well the idea to switch do windows basic theme was a great idea, i t helped me a lot :)
Didnt thought that there would be another chance to play without switching the desktop the whole time.

Best regards
Checkthis0ut

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.