a trip down memory lane

Couldbe Yue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

a couple of threads I've dug up so we can relive old memories,

this one is crying out for a post implementation review:  http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Commerce-Forums-General/Why-Build-a-New-Marketplace/td-p/272728  I'd say it failed the business case - not only did it fail to provide the features but it failed to bring in new users or move people to searching via google for stuff on the marketplace.

and this one.. 

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Commerce-Forums-General/XStreet-ONE-WEEK-LEFT-Have-your-items-migrated/m-p/372788#M40152

which relates to the problems encountered during the migration.

enjoy, or not.

edit..  oops! I removed the comma - sorry about that

A bit spooky in that it was rather prophetic. Used to think those silly merchants just didn't understand ... these things take time, there's so much you don't know, you have no proof, etc.

The customer may not always be right, but they're the only ones that can answer whether it satisfies whatever they expect from a product. Which means they're never wrong.

True, heheh.

Well, a ray of light, from Rod (of course on Twitter), regarding this latest marketplace release:

"No I dont think its an over reaction. It was not an acceptable level of quality roll out. I will say the the team is crunching hard"

Dr. Phil says the first step toward healing is admitting you have a problem.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

It almost kind of makes you wonder if it would be better if all decisions were made by the community. I think we pointed out all the issues pretty clearly, and all were ignored by LL. In the end, we all lost money, including LL.

On the old forums that are now archived, a common opinion amongst SL Residents was that whenever LL actually asked the community what we would like to see (in a viewer, the world, MP, etc.) they would then tally the answers and do exactly the opposite.  Over the years I've seen it happen time and time again.

> they would then tally the answers and do exactly the opposite. 

Imagine you've been told to somehow force merchants to stop using Xstreet anf go back to renting land in-world in order to conduct business, thus mitigating loss of land revenues due to loss in-world commerce to Xstreet.

What would you do with any kind of merchant concensus?

Kampu Oyen wrote:

> they would then tally the answers and do exactly the opposite. 

Imagine you've been told to somehow force merchants to stop using Xstreet anf go back to renting land in-world in order to conduct business, thus mitigating loss of land revenues due to loss in-world commerce to Xstreet.

What would you do with any kind of merchant concensus?

Why does this seem sooooooooooooooooooo familiar?

*clears her throat* there is no master plan to drive commerce out of market place.  What we are seeing is just a bad implementation - one of a long line of very badly executed implementations.  Give them a few and it will eventual get better and more stable over time; time being the operative word.

My two cents (L$5)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.