Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Myrylyn

A Proper News & Information Site for Serious Adult Play

24 posts in this topic

Hello, you sexy thing!

As a Second Life business owner, I'm really quite shocked that-- after 6 months of searching-- I've yet to find a blog or news server that caters to the more... enthusiastic... adult community. Everything I see seems to be dancing around the darker side of our Second Life explorations and fun... or avoiding it, in some profound excercise of hypocrisy.

No, offense, hard-core bloggers... but if you are out there... you're really, really hard to find.

I'm not talking about folks who are titilated by a passing glimpse of a woman's ankles or blush with coyness whenever they see another avatar ball-walking. I'm talking about serious play: Frenemy Fashions, Crowley Corporation, Dari's Haus, and so forth. I'm sure you have your own list of favorites as well. You know of love it. Even if you are occassionally shocked by what you see, it's important to your own self-development. I'll go here, but I won't go there. I totally respect that.

In any event, and as as a purveyor of things that could be labelled "fringe," I really find myself having to do an enormous amount of outreach to get the word out about my products-- as well as provide kudos and accolades for the works of other crafters. If I didn't have to spend so much time hawking my wares, I could pour that time into building more products.

That being said, I have to thank Linden Labs for a very excellent Marketplace experience. If fact, it's gotten so good that I fear for the region owners who rent out space for sales tiles and kiosks. My in-world kiosk is actually modelled after some of SLM's more exciting features (such as being able to host up to 8 pictures of each product) and allowing links to related blogs and movies. That kind of value-add is lovely. My primary Kiosk is located in the South Side Snakepit, incidentally.

But, back to my original point: I have yet to find a good news,  information, and product review site that focuses on our community... or, far more specifically, the adult community that doesn't tip-toe around what is really going on out there.

Where's the investigative reporting and human-interest stories? Where are the product reviews that don't just tell what a product is and does, rather than how you can use it in your roleplay?

There's a huge business opportunity out there for someone with the time and resources to produce such a site, a site that ties together all the fun and exciting action and updates at places like the iCandy Sluts Brothel, South Side Snakepit, **bleep** Alley, or the Horror Rape Asylum.

That's right, people, Santa Claus does exist. He's just got poor representation!

If such a site DID exist, shop owners such as myself would be willing to donate items or lindens for news coverage... or even to take out ads on that site. Whomever spear-headed such an effort could stand to reap enormous benefit-- as well as pick up a lot of interest skills and buisiness contacts in the process.

Please don't make me do it... I'd rather continue building horrifying machinations of extreme terror.

Your Fremeny,

Myrylyn Shin

=<';'>=

Interesting, the forums *bleeped* a fairly common word that is spoken on television, but they didn't bleep the word "rape." Perhaps some of you folks on the lighter side of the adult community could comment on that?

Up until this point, I thought the institutionalized adult community juggernaut was all about policing itself... interesting to see how the system works.

It is a crazy world, isn't it?

In any event, I'll police myself. I won't use the r-word again-- at least not in the context I used it previously.

whats a 'serious adult' doing playin sl ?!?! shouldnt you be investing in the stock market or practicing law or being a banker or doin some other 'serious adult' stuff instead ?? :P

Jeanne

Well, you bring up an interesting point, JeanneAnne.

Given the medium in which we play, I don't want to reveal too much about my real life, for safety reasons. That being said, I would argue that my communications skills might betray a grander intellect and grasp of the real world more than my Second Life persona might suggest.

It may be that the investments I've made in my real-world persona have elevated my station to a point at which I can delve into what my life would be like under the guise of some other creation. For many of us, the serious, adult world has led to great unhappiness or pigeon-holed our waking-world, ultimately resulting in a sense of abject confusion or, perhaps, a sense that we have more to offer that our outward appearance or situation might sugggest.

I know what you say is partly in jest, JeanneAnne, and I take it in that spirit-- but your question is certainly and interseting one. I expect our individual answers to that question would be even more interesting. :matte-motes-smitten:

It is a question that a proper adult news and information site might do an excellent piece or exposé on.

Keep the questions coming! we're all here to answer a question, in one way or the other, yeah?

>>.. I would argue that my communications skills might betray a grander intellect and grasp of the real world..<<

0 correlation between hoity toity prose & intellgence or perspicacity of reality ... or mebbe the correlation is - .. if anything

>>It may be that the investments I've made in my real-world persona have elevated my station..<<

nope .. nothing elevates your station in life .. you were born w/ nothing & will die the same way .. we all break exactly even in life & alluv our 'stations' is exactly the same

>>For many of us, the serious, adult world has led to great unhappiness..<<

agreed .. which is why i mock 'serious adult' stuff .. i cant help being an adult but i CAN avoid being serious .. & do ~@ all costs !!

>>I know what you say is partly in jest, JeanneAnne..<<

ok ok .. i confess !! :P

>>Keep the questions coming! we're all here to answer a question, in one way or the other, yeah?<<

'k Myrylyn ;) ummm .. cant thinkuv anything atm tho ..

Jeanne

I'll go here, but I won't go there.

There's the problem.  One person's kink is the next one's squick -- and vice versa, for the very same people.

The appeal of any single "serious play" thing is limited -- indeed, that restricted appeal is part of its appeal.

And our reaction to that which doesn't appeal isn't just a page-flipping "meh" but a cover-slamming "yuck!"

It's very much the same in RL adult content. The edges of vanilla acceptability can be pushed only very, very slightly while still maintaining mainstream appeal.  After that, it's target segmentation, in hyperfine spades.

>>.. I would argue that my communications skills might betray a grander intellect and grasp of the real world..<<

0 correlation between hoity toity prose & intellgence or perspicacity of reality ... or mebbe the correlation is - .. if anything

in fact the statement indicates a decided lack of maturity :)

>>It may be that the investments I've made in my real-world persona have elevated my station..<<

nope .. nothing elevates your station in life .. you were born w/ nothing & will die the same way .. we all break exactly even in life & alluv our 'stations' is exactly the same

your status is created by your friends and acquaintances, not how much time of money you spend (fake status can be bought, real status has to be earned).

>>For many of us, the serious, adult world has led to great unhappiness..<<

agreed .. which is why i mock 'serious adult' stuff .. i cant help being an adult but i CAN avoid being serious .. & do ~@ all costs !!

define "serious adult" :) For many their play is very serious. For many in SL I think it's a relieve from RL pressures that keeps them at least somewhat sane.

jwenting wrote:

in fact the statement indicates a decided lack of maturity
:)

whats w/ all the ocd ppl in the fora who seem 2 think that slavish conformity to orthografikal convention is some kinda indicator of intelligence or maturity ?!? it isnt .. all it indikative uv is anality ...

Jeanne

I'd like to thank my respondents for adding so much value to this discussion.

Taking the long view, I'm proud to be standing shoulder-to-should with those that will inherit the stars... the captains of industry, the trend-setters, the intellectual giants. Without our combined wisdom, I fear our discourse would devolve into pointless meanderings that deviate so far from my original assertions that any hope of finding a coherent thread in the conversation would be fruitless.

To that end, I'd be happy to offer an in-world reward to someone who can string together a finely-worded statement that addresses the main points, rather than the word choice or syntactic side-streets, of my original missive.

Perhaps someone can cobble something together?

Or maybe if some teams assembled?

One group could work out the subject of each sentence while their fellow text-wranglers hammer out some verbs. Yet another set of ambitious mouth-breathers could grapple with direct objects or, barring that, add some punctuation. Once they they all happy with their work, perhaps a grown-up could spell check it.

Imagine the majesty of it all, a buttoned-up Sentence, in the grandest sense of the world. A sentence fit to be said before the queen in her court, yet keenly-worded enough to be understood by peasants. It would be, without hyperbole, a sentence that could stand at the end of time-- a sentence for which Eternity could look back over its shoulder and say "This is where Humanity stood up and took its place in History."

>>.. those that will inherit the stars... the captains of industry, the trend-setters, the intellectual giants.<<

yer kiddin rite ?? if you think apes r goin2 'inherit the stars' look up the distances involved & the value of c .. then review ole als mass & time dilation equations .. much as you may want2 'boldly go' were stuck here .. all those 'captians of industry' you so seem 2 admire r goin2 accomplish is 2 wreck the 1 planet we have in ther pursuituv profit .. greedy basturds !!

& as 4 all yr crapa bout 'keenly-worded' ness .. u remind me of the prissy 19th century pundits who criticized Emily Dickinson .. andrew lang 4 instance:

>>"..if poetry is to exist at all, it really must have form and grammar, and must rhyme when it professes to rhyme. The wisdom of the ages and the nature of man insist on so much."

or thomas baily aldrich ..

"It is plain that Miss Dickinson possessed an extremely unconventional and grotesque fancy. She was deeply tinged by the mysticism of Blake, and strongly influenced by the mannerism of Emerson... But the incoherence and formlessness of her — versicles are fatal ... an eccentric, dreamy, half-educated recluse in an out-of-the-way New England village (or anywhere else) cannot with impunity set at defiance the laws of gravitation and grammar."

those dudes r dead & no1 ennymors even hearduv em or cares what they said .. Emily on the other hand is admired world over .. dont expect any12 be impressed w/ your faux erudition & snide nonsense Myrylyn ..

Jeanne

As an aside:

Including intelligent conversation said by others, while a brief respite from keyboard-slapping mayhem, doesn't count as evidence of sentience.

However, it is interesting to point out that you err in the same way as Aldrich-- he claimed to embody all the knowledge of a subject matter and was later proven wrong. You differ from Aldrich, however, due to the fact that you are not a subject matter expert but rather a key-mashing troll that doesn't think things through.

Inherenting the stars, moreover, is simply a lovely turn of phrase-- often used-- to suggest that Humanity is not locked to this lonely orb. The phrase conjures up the notion of a space-faring, multi-planet species. A rather lovely thought, attainable in our lifetimes.

Curiously, the speed of light has nothing to do with it nor does time dilation. The universe will be around of a long time so, with patience, one can reach and colonize other star systems, provided one has multi-generational  starships or, failing that, a viable cryogenics. Do you deny such techniques are at least feasible?

Speed of light? What is your hurry, JeanneAnne?

>>Do you deny such techniques are at least feasible?<<

yes .. in the cold vacuum even a minor problem proves fatal .. given the distances & centuries or millenia required 2 cross them ennything that can go wrong will ..

& even if it was feasilbe .. it would be immoral .. a species of cannibal ape thats wrecked the biosphere of its home planet has no business being loose in the galaxy .. rather than being a 'rather lovely thought' sucha scenario is a nitemare .. so whos the 'key-mashing troll' here Myrylyn ?? you dont know physics .. you rite in a prissy affected manner .. & you rel8 2 others in patronizing haughty egotistical way ..

'k .. youre flushed

Jeanne

JeanneAnne, you are a testimony to the unbridled sense of wonder that marks our species. Your indomitable spirit, boldly standing against all that opposes it, raises us all up. Thank you for that.

However, I am concerned that you self-describe your own race in such derogatory terms. I think you've been very unfair to both yourself and others; I urge you to reconsider your position. Let me hold a mirror to the current situation:

The fact that an immoral, science-challenged, cannibal ape can still manage to scrawl gibberish on the walls with her own feces shows a level of evolutionary progress heretofore unseen in this forum. Kukos to you! Take credit where it is due, sweetie! We're cheering you onward! We're even happy to let you use our feces. Look how much quoting you use!

As a respite against your transcendentally-brilliant critiques, perhaps you'd care to speak on the limitations of our biology and how we might overcome them? Perhaps you've already considered that, in order to be a space-faring race, we'd need to shed our skins and become something wholly different, something self-healing and immortal.

I mean, it just goes without saying, right? I fear I have insulted your intelligence.

Alternatively, I may be simply overthinking your position.

So all this has not been in vain, Innula?

Thank goodness. I am growing weary of the troll-baiting the greys.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Cool, Lee! Shoulda known you'd come through. :smileywink:

Thanks, Griffin.  :)

I buy frenemy fatted calf, but I have a problem after one month of use.

all scipts error, so I can wear fatted calf !!

someone konw how i have to do to correct it?

AnneRouse, this isn't the best way to get in touch with me-- just message me in world. I'm going to send you a fresh kit and then investigate why your Fatted Calf is getting a script error.