What happened in History on this date

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

August 2, 1552 or 1557, Saint Basil died.

Originally an apprentice shoemaker in Moscow, he adopted an eccentric lifestyle of shoplifting and giving to the poor to shame the miserly and help those in need. He went naked and weighed himself down with chains. He rebuked Ivan the Terrible for not paying attention in church, and for his violent behaviour towards the innocent.

When he died on August 2, 1552 or 1557, St. Macarius, Metropolitan of Moscow, served his funeral with many clergy. Ivan the Terrible himself acted as pallbearer and carried his coffin to the cemetery. He is buried in St. Basil's Cathedral in Moscow, which was commissioned by Ivan and is named after the saint. Basil was formally canonised around 1580. His feast day is celebrated on August 2 (August 15, N.S.).

8-10-14156 BC    Grrr, son of Mmmmph (the clan elder), wins the heart of Oooooh (the clan hottie) when he inadvertently breaks wind during an arm wrestling match with Oooooh's mother, Owwwoooo. Thankfully, as mankind had not yet invented written language, no record of this disgusting event remains.

Modern humans find more agreeable ways of advertising their sexual prowess... 

August 21st 2013:

Phil Deakins, widely recognised as the father of low prim furniture, abandons half of his land, reducing the land for his low prim furniture store to a mere 5056 sqm. In the last year the land has been reduced, in stages, from almost a full sim. When questioned, he said, "This is the last reduction that I can do and still offer almost everything that I offered when I had the whole sim. So far, I've done things that reduces my prim count and still allow me to sell almost the whole of my range, but I will need to remove a lot from sale if I halve the land again." Asked why he was doing it, he replied, "Three years ago I decided to let the store run down, and it's been running down ever since. My opinion of Linden Lab was one big reason for it, and the other was that I'd become a little bored with the whole thing." When asked why he didn't just shut up shop three years ago, he said, "It would be very silly to cut off a source of RL income while it was still worth having" and that, "when it's no longer worth having, I'll close the store completely."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.