What happened in History on this date

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

If you did link that coincidence clip before, I must have missed it.

I would have commented earlier but I got interrupted partway through it and just now had time to come back and watch the rest. Loved it.

Yes, the Asimov thing had a lot of typos, but the essence was there. I'm pretty sure that was one 'chapter' in a book of stuff to do with astronomy. There was another chapter about planetary moons, which pointed out (by using examples from other planets) that  moons were miniscule in comparison to their primaries and that they travelled in orbits quite close to their primary. Then (after dropping enough hints so that if he was talking in front of the class you'd have raised your hand by then) he said something like, "So why is OUR moon so big and what is it doing way out THERE?".  One of the best.

You know I love a good story and a good storyteller. Asimov was one of the best.

I was fortunate to have two teachers who were also good storytellers. And like Asimov, they taught the whole story. Science wasn't just science. History not just history. Art not just art. They were all intertwined, as they are in our everyday lives. So I don't just look at the night sky and see stars. I see ancient people wondering why the stars hinted at mysterious creatures hung from the ceiling of our world, and who carved beautiful totems to honor them in hopes they would look down favorably while watching for the right time to plant their crops. It's an alluring mix of curiosity, intelligence, irrationality and mystery.

I think most of us tried to spot shapes in the clouds when we were kids. My parents and I looked for them in the stars, too. The first one I spotted was a pot (the Big Dipper) and the second was a ballerina (Orion). It wasn't until after the laughter ebbed that I was told the ancients called him "Orion, the Mighty Hunter!". Poor fella, he'll forever be prancing across my winter sky in a tutu and ballet slippers.

... puts on Tchaikovsky's "Dance of the Sugarplum Hunters".

;-)

There is this clip too about coincedences, from the same TED series.

It is all worth watching, but the section about 9 mins into it about how our perception is affected by our expectations is very nicely demonstrated with the backwards Led Zeppelin passage and satan's tool shed.

Ps and since it is now 23rd June.,,,

On 23rd of June 1611 – The mutinous crew of Hudson's fourth voyage sets Henry, his son and seven loyal crew members adrift in an open boat in what is now Hudson Bay, they are never heard from again. The surviving mutineer's were tried for murder not mutiny and acquitted perhaps because the information they had about trading routes was too valuable to be lost.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

6-24-5613
   Thirty six hundred years after the return of Twinkies to grocer's shelves, the first package of the resurrected snack food finally reaches its "Best Used By" date.

OMG!  I did hear that they had a long shelf life!

Peace!

Oh Jacques Cousteau again!  

Known to millions as a world renowned oceanographer, environmentalist and film maker, but known to one person here, without any supporting evidence, as a right-wing sympathiser and an election candidate for the far right in France.

Sy Beck wrote:

Oh Jacques Cousteau again!  

Known to millions as a world renowned oceanographer, environmentalist and film maker, but known to one person here
, without any supporting evidence,
as a right-wing sympathiser and an election candidate for the far right in France.

smiley_panic.gif

6-28-2013    Strong Rock Christian School CEO Patrick Stuart was struck by lightning during a football practice session, after banning female student Madison Baxter from play on the team. Stuart, who earlier explained that his decision was the result of prayer and that he was concerned that boys on the team would have impure thoughts, was rushed to an area hospital with 2nd degree burns to what students described as his "groinal region".

6-28-2013
   Strong Rock Christian School CEO Patrick Stuart was struck by lightning during a football practice session, after banning female student Madison Baxter from play on the team. Stuart, who earlier explained that his decision was the result of prayer and that he was concerned that boys on the team would have impure thoughts, was rushed to an area hospital with 2nd degree burns to what students described as his "groinal region".

LOL!

Peace!

7-2-2014    One year after China's introduction of a law requiring offspring of parents older than 60 to visit them frequently and and make sure their financial and spiritual needs are met, the number of adult Chinese children living in their parents basements continues to skyrocket. The problem is exacerbated by China's failure to anticipate that their "one child per family" policy, which is credited with accelerating the erosion of the traditional extended family, would require "one guest room or basement per family" a generation later.

7-2-2014
   One year after
requiring offspring of parents older than 60 to visit them frequently and and make sure their financial and spiritual needs are met, the number of adult Chinese children living in their parents basements continues to skyrocket. The problem is exacerbated by China's failure to anticipate that their
, which is credited with accelerating the erosion of the traditional extended family, would require "one guest room or basement per family" a generation later.

Love it Maddy!

Peace!

7-3-2013    One day after Bolivian President Evo Morales' plane was forced to land in Austria due to refusal of France, Portugal, and Spain to allow traversal of their airspace, at the request of the US over concerns that NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden was on board, President Morales allowed Austrian officials to inspect the plane, revealing that the only other passenger was Rick Astley. When queried by CNN about potentially violating international law, only to be Rick-rolled, CIA director John Brennan refused to comment.

7-3-2013
   One day after Bolivian President Evo Morales' plane was forced to land in Austria due to refusal of France, Portugal, and Spain to allow traversal of their airspace, at the request of the US over concerns that NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden was on board, President Morales allowed Austrian officials to inspect the plane, revealing that the only other passenger was Rick Astley. When queried by CNN about potentially violating international law, only to be Rick-rolled, CIA director John Brennan refused to comment.

Whew!  LOL Maddy!

Peace!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.