What happened in History on this date

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1413 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Loch Ness Monster Sighting

Although accounts of an aquatic beast living in Scotland’s Loch Ness date back 1,500 years, the modern legend of the Loch Ness Monster is born when a sighting makes local news on May 2, 1933. The newspaper 
Inverness Courier related an account of a local couple who claimed to have seen “an enormous animal rolling and plunging on the surface.” The story of the “monster” (a moniker chosen by the Courier editor) became a media phenomenon, with London newspapers sending correspondents to Scotland and a circus offering a 20,000 pound sterling reward for capture of the beast.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

On this day in 1934, a massive storm sends millions of tons of topsoil flying from across the parched Great Plains region of the United States as far east as New York, Boston and Atlanta.

At the time the Great Plains were settled in the mid-1800s, the land was covered by prairie grass, which held moisture in the earth and kept most of the soil from blowing away even during dry spells. By the early 20th century, however, farmers had plowed under much of the grass to create fields. The U.S. entry into World War I in 1917 caused a great need for wheat, and farms began to push their fields to the limit, plowing under more and more grassland with the newly invented tractor. The plowing continued after the war, when the introduction of even more powerful gasoline tractors sped up the process. During the 1920s, wheat production increased by 300 percent, causing a glut in the market by 1931.

That year, a severe drought spread across the region. As crops died, wind began to carry dust from the over-plowed and over-grazed lands. The number of dust storms reported jumped from 14 in 1932 to 28 in 1933. The following year, the storms decreased in frequency but increased in intensity, culminating in the most severe storm yet in May 1934. Over a period of two days, high-level winds caught and carried some 350 million tons of silt all the way from the northern Great Plains to the eastern seaboard. According to The New York Times, dust “lodged itself in the eyes and throats of weeping and coughing New Yorkers,” and even ships some 300 miles offshore saw dust collect on their decks.

The dust storms forced thousands of families from Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas and New Mexico to uproot and migrate to California, where they were derisively known as “Okies”–no matter which state they were from. These transplants found life out West not much easier than what they had left, as work was scarce and pay meager during the worst years of the Great Depression.

Based on my grandparents descriptions, I'm pretty sure it was not like this...

giphy.gif

Edited by AmandaKeen

• 2 weeks later...

5-31-2018    In a stunning display of the combined power of social networking and aerial robotic technology, the tiny island nation of Covfefe declares bankruptcy after being robbed blind by a tsunami of claw equipped drones. Wave after wave of drones pilfered pool water, patio chairs and personal flotation devices from the island's only resort. Drone collisions with Covfefe's famous skywheel, and a steady stream of YouTube aerial videos of vacationers in various states of undress canoodling on sandy beaches, resulted in a precipitous drop in tourism, the island's only industry. Island president Cremon "Creamy Doc" Annapurta was carried away by one of the drones just before taking to the podium to deliver what was expected to be a fiery speech denouncing the destruction of his beloved homeland.

5-31-2020    Kushner Companies announces the grand opening of Trump Atoll. Once the tiny nation of Covfefe, the island chain was purchased at bankruptcy auction by the company for US$1 million. The main island's four star resort has been upgraded to 21 stars and the impressive skywheel has been given a coat of gold paint. Even so, the atoll's new money laundry is expected to be its primary attraction. Trump Atoll's general manager Bashkent Pennon refused to comment during his opening day ribbon cutting ceremony, deferring all public commentary to the public relations duo of Lanky Owl Cayenne and Acne Sisper... who both refused to comment.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2

6-5-2018    Michael Godwin repealed his own law after observing that people have found so many ways to lose arguments with inflammatory rhetoric that Hitler analogies are no longer effective. When asked for a alternative, he proposed "Griffin's Law".

One this date June 6th 1944, the Allies Land in Normandy....thus since that is WAY to serious and significant event to poke my usual .gif fun at.......

June 6th, 1977 - US Secretary of State Cyrus Vance CONFIRMS President Jimmy Carters interest in Human Rights

giphy.gif

That's a lot of Rights........

13 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Followed 27 years later by Breitbart and the (re)birth of News-as-Propaganda.

;-).

I kinda think CNN/Fox/Brietbart/MSNBC fall under the mantra; "Different (talking) head - same snake"

When news becomes entertainment or agenda-driven and there is a financial incentive to maintain turmoil, it becomes more about "telling a story" than "reporting events".

giphy.gif

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, AmandaKeen said:

I kinda think CNN/Fox/Brietbart/MSNBC fall under the mantra; "Different (talking) head - same snake"

When news becomes entertainment or agenda-driven and there is a financial incentive to maintain turmoil, it becomes more about "telling a story" than "reporting events".

It's possible there's nothing new going on here. Yellow journalism has a long history.

I've noticed a pattern in some of Breitbart's reporting. First, their headline makes a (to me) incredulous claim, then the opening paragraph (sometimes two) introduces the argument with something factual thats usually uncovered by investigative journalists at the "Government Accountability Institute" (GAI, owned by Bannon) or another such organization and then backed up by the "mainstream press". Links to those backup pieces (but often not the GAI story) are included in the opening paragraphs.

Having laid a foundation of credibility, the article then moves to the right a few hundred meters and constructs the remainder of the story in thin air out of what seems a mix of ignorance and purposeful misrepresentation. When I read the mainstream backing stories, which often go a few steps further than the original GAI reporting, they never step into the territory of the Breitbart articles.

It's a clever trick, probably nothing new. Make a small depression in the truth, plant the seed of a lie in it, then water religiously. It's brilliant, and I should know... it's what I do.

I see more than enough ignorance and histrionics in the mainstream press (golly do they love to yell "Fire!"), but their ignorance doesn't give me the icky feeling of what appear to me to be Breitbart's manipulations. Of course, I may well be seeing what I want to see, but at least I wonder if I do.

One thing that concerns me is that the internet in general, and social networking sites in particular, create big, invisible levers for manipulating public opinion that can be controlled by modest sums of money. Visit Cambridge Analytica to see what you can buy these days. Since these levers are unseen and legal, governments can do little to detect, understand, or prevent their manipulation.

It's all terribly fascinating and increasingly worrisome.

1775 The United Colonies change their name to the United States.

It is said that in that moment,.John Hancock stood in front of everyone,held out his arm..In his hand was what many thought to be a pestle, about six inches in length..

He yelled  U.S.A.!!  Then dropped the pestle looking object to the floor and walked directly out of the room..

It is very possible all in the room that day may have witness the very first Mic drop..

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

1775 The United Colonies change their name to the United States.

It is said that in that moment,.John Hancock stood in front of everyone,held out his arm..In his hand was what many thought to be a pestle, about six inches in length..

He yelled  U.S.A.!!  Then dropped the pestle looking object to the floor and walked directly out of the room..

It is very possible all in the room that day may have witness the very first Mic drop..

Curiously, microphones are now often used to grind truth into dust.

• Like 3

Born This Day In History 12th June

Celebrating Birthdays Today 
Anne Frank 
Born: Annelies Marie Frank, June 12th, 1929, Frankfurt am Main, Germany 
Died: Spring, 1945 
Known For : Otto Frank moved his family to Amsterdam on the accession of Adolf Hitler. Anne and her sister Margot went to school in Amsterdam. and their father started to run a business with a fellow Jew. The German Army invaded Holland in May 1940, and the Nazi Party imposed restrictions and segregation on the Dutch Jews. On her birthday in 1942 Anne was given the book that she would use as her diary by her father. Margot was ordered to a work camp, and the family went in to hiding. They lived in the rooms that were behind his office, and were joined by his partner's family and one other man. Their rooms were called the Secret Annex, and Anne recorded many details of their lives over the next two years. The Secret Annex was discovered on July 4th, 1944 and they were all sent to concentration camps. Anne died there, and only Otto survived their internment. He returned to Amsterdam, and the diary was published in 1947. 

• Like 4

June 14th 2012 - “The Bourne Identity,” featuring famous Mini chase scene, is released...

In one of the most memorable scenes in the film “The Bourne Identity,” released on this day in 2002, the amnesiac assassin Jason Bourne (Matt Damon) drives a vintage Austin Mini Cooper through the traffic-heavy streets of Paris to evade his police and Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) pursuers.

giphy.gif

There were also disguises..

giphy.gif

and Slo-Mo Martial Arts.....

giphy.gif

and of course...gunplay...

giphy.gif

Edited by AmandaKeen
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

One this date, June 25th 1876...

Union troops from Pennsylvania begin digging a tunnel toward the Rebels at Petersburg, Virginia, in order to blow a hole in the Confederate lines and break the stalemate.

giphy.gif

Not all the troops were excited about the plan.......

Edited by AmandaKeen
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1413 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.