how to lower packet loss

WPT2D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4396 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

thanks to the friendly posts to my last question of why I can't go to other destinations I think I found my answer being that my Packet loss and Ping Sim are WAY!!! off. My packet loss flexes between 20% and went as high as 124%  i was told it should be around 1. Second, my Ping Sim is around 30-50....so here is my problem, or at least one of them...can anyone help me get back to where i need to be. A couple people had asked if I have a wireless connection, an the answer is "no".

thanks ahead of time

2 answers to this question

If you have not run through the steps in Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection, do so. It should give you an idea where the problem is happening.

The problem could be at the SL end of the connection, unlikely or we would all have the problem.

It could be on your end. The computer, network cable, router and/or modem may be the problem.

The problem could be your ISP or your ISP's connection to the backbone. Your ISP handles from your home to the backbone. Beyond that a backbone provider handles the network. Only your ISP or SL can complain to the backbone provider. The Backbome provider is your ISP's ISP... sort of.

You have to figure out where the problem is before you know who to complain to.

Packet loss should be 0% most of the time. Loosing 1 to 3% now and then is common. But, 25%+ is a broken connection.

I am guessing you have reset the computer, router, and/or modem.

• Like 1

You're ping times are fine.........actually better than fine since they are good.  You're packet is extreme........anything over about 2% is a problem.  There's not a lot you can do about packet loss if it occurs outside your home network  The things you can do are to reboot your router and modem, make sure your network adapter is updated, make sure all your Ethernet cable connections are secure and fully connected, and that your computer system can handle what's coming into it.  You can go to your preferences for you viewer and set your bandwidth to something lke 500 kbps to see if things improve........if they do then set them higher by about 200 kbps at a time until things go back then back off by 200 kbps (that should give a good base to work with but you'll need to tweak it a little more as time progresses until you get the optimum).

If all that does not help then it's likely the packet loss is occuring outside your network and there's almost nothing you can do to fix it.........it's someone else's responsibility and they will have to do the fixing.  Call your ISP and have them check the connection from them to you (they will ping your modem to test their lines).  If the problem is there, they should be able to fix it pretty quickly (a day or two).  If they are good the the problem is between your ISP and LL's servers.......and that could be almost anywhere.  You're ISP should notify whoever they are paying for the service who can take it from there and fix it (normally Internet backbone issues are fixed within hours so if this is a chronic or long time problem it's not likely to be something in the Internet network).  And it's possible the LL has problems (though not, at all, common)......file a support ticket if everything on your and your ISP's end is fine.

One more thing.  Routers and modems do fail eventually.  The classic symptom of a failing router or modem is the slow down which could induce packet loss.  If you have a router in your network, by pass it by connecting directly to your modem to test if that's the problem.  Hopefully your lease your modem from your ISP....have them replace it for you (if you own your modem and it's a few years old then purchase a new one.....Best Buy has some at good prices).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4396 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.