Is it me or have the servers bit the big one lately

johnsmithe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Rarely had problems but the last few weeks or so wow has it sucked.  Crashes common and lag often ridiculous.  My net connection is otherwise fine so reasonably sure it's not something on my end.  Have tried tweaking settings etc to no avail.  Anyone else?

I'm not sure what you are trying to say.  You crash?  You loose connection to the servers?  You experience extreme lag?  One, a couple or all of the above?  And you are saying it's something to do with the servers?  Servers don't cause crashes of the viewer........a server can cause a crash of a sim but not your viewer.  Servers don't generally cause connection problems or lag problems........unless all the sims on the server are having the same issue at the same time (meaning the problem is fairly wide spread).  Believe it or not server performance is monitored by Linden Lab and any problem is known pretty quickly and addressed by the technicians promptly (that does not mean some minor problems go un-noticed for a period of time before it comes to someone's attention)....filing a support ticket would bring the issue to someone's attention if it is, in fact, a server problem.

I always wonder what someone means when they say they crash then discribe connection issues and lag.  A crash is when a program quits responding, dumps you to your desktop or shuts down your computer.  When you loose connection to the server, it appears that nothing works since you are no longer connected to the servers for anything to happen.  There are clues that you did not crash such as you can spin your avatar around but cannot move otherwise, no chat, you can't TP anywhere, can't sit on anything.  Maybe you are flying and you just keep on flying no matter what you do.........the horizon doesn't show terrain details and you wind up flying off into just blank space.  Perhaps you're dancing and you can't stop.  Those are signs of lost connection.  Lag is almot always client side............your computer (probably your graphics) can't render what's coming at it.

So maybe you can give a little clearer details on your problem.  I know I don't have the issues you are discribing (actually, I have no issues at all at the moment).  But, if I'm not on the same server (or server bank) as you, it's possible I won't have problems where others will.  But it won't be just you with the problem.

I suspect it's a connection issue (it often is).  I know you said other Internet activity is fine.......but that other Internet activity is no where near as extreme as Second Life activity (that camparison is worthless).  Try rebooting your router and modem as a first step to solving a connection problem.  Just umplug the devices from their electrical source for 3 to 5 minutes, plug back in and wait for the lights to settle to the normal blinking routine then reboot your computer to re-establish your Internet connection.  Try SL again.

Over the last 6 weeks the simulators have actually run pretty well. In that 6 weeks only 2 packages have rolled out to the main channel. So, for 4 weeks you should have seen little or no change in behavior as the servers ran the same software during that period.

During the last 2 weeks you may have noticed a change. 

The Deploys for the week of 2012-04-09 thread is where you will see people in the know complaining about server performance. Since I don't see a burst of posts, things are running pretty well.

Of course it is Tuesday, the day server updates are installed. Starting at 8:30 Am PDT today a rolling restart is run across most of the main grid. It usually completes before noon. So, if you were running from restarts and ran the wrong way, you could get caught an a series of region restarts. When a region restarts for the update roll I think it is down for about 10 to 15 minutes.

Tomorrow they update the release channels, which make up about 20% of the grid. So, those regions will be doing a rolling restart. Details are in the Grid Status Report.

You should always look at Second Life Grid Status Reports to see if a grid wide problem has come up. It can take a couple of hours for a problem to appear there. So, keep checking while you try to resolve a problem.

• 2 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.